Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Scorpion Zeros vs Wrangler HP all weather
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Ant

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Scorpion Zeros vs Wrangler HP all weather

I have a 56 D3 HSE with Scorpion zero 255/55 R19 111V extra load tyres fitted from new. They are quiet and good in the wet, but are well worn at 25000 miles. On previous Discovery IIs I have had Wrangler HPs fitted (again OE from new) and have averaged 40,000 plus before needing replacement. Does anyone have experience of the Wranglers on a D3. The vehicle is used mainly on road (long motorway runs, so low noise is important) with some snow/track and grass work, but not serious offroading. I'm new to the forum, so apologies if this has been asked before.
Ant

Post #27044110th Mar 2008 4:24 pm
al cope

England 

Ant

I had 255/55 x19 111v Wranglers on mine. I took them off at 39000, only because, unlike the wranglers I've had before, they were getting noisy. Still had just over 2mm, so not illegal. I put it down to Euro regs having a lower limit of 3.6mm (I think), so below that Goodyear wont care about how niosy they are. I put Scorpions on, but they never felt as "planted" on the road as the wranglers (and I had 255/55x18 Wranglers on both of my D2's). I dont know about the Scorpion wear as I've 295/45x20 Grabbers on now. The 19's are in the garage.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #27044510th Mar 2008 4:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I found the factory fit Wrangler's to be very very good both on and off road.

They do get noisy when worn due to the tread pattern.

Currently have Scorpion's on my MY08 D3 and so far they seem to be a little less grippy on road and not quite as grippy off. But until I drive Boughrood again I cant really be sure.

They are good though - The Wranglers.

Will go for either AT2's or Wranglers at tyre change time.

Post #27044810th Mar 2008 4:40 pm
The Beastmaster

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Wranglers,Scorpions, Gabbers not sure which? price is not to much an issue but not sure whats best .My current ones are 255 60 18 Scorpions I have been a bit dissapointed with there life only 16000K and nearly ready for changing they slip on icey roads I don't off road a lot so I need some help!

1. Will 18" Grabbers fit ? will they last ? are they noisy?

2. Do Wranglers look as good as Scorpions? do they ware better? got price of 130.00 each fitted

3. Should I stay with Scorpions ? & just shut up!

Post #27060410th Mar 2008 8:43 pm
simon

The Beastmaster wrote:

2. Do Wranglers look as good as Scorpions?

Shocked What has that got to do with it Thud

Wranglers in my experience have been great on snow - limited as we dont get that much.

Off road they were very good, still not convinced the Scorpions are any better. Its hard to tell unless you test them back to back on the same surfaces.

AT2's in theory are better off road - on road they will be noisier as they are an AT tyre and have a more aggressive tread pattern... look better too Whistle Wink

Wranglers do last a long time but do get very noisy when worn.

Post #27061710th Mar 2008 8:53 pm
The Beastmaster

Thanks for your help Simon Thumbs Up

Post #27063610th Mar 2008 9:07 pm
AlexIv

Russia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Re: Scorpion Zeros vs Wrangler HP all weather

Hi
I have a D3 HSE with Wrangler HP 255/60 R18 fitted from new. Summer mileage with this tyres is about 20 000 - 25 000 km. Most milleage was on tarmac. ( In November we have to change so called allseason tyres to winter tyres as we have snow and icy roads. Both Scorpion Zeros and Wrangler HP all weather are not siutable for real winter. Too much dangerous to drive icy country roads and interstates. We'd preffer scandinavian winter tyres)
Sure mine wranglers could live one more summer season (about 40 000 km total) but I suppose they will look like a slicks in September ) I'm thinking to see right now for Continental Crosscontact AT or Pirelli SCORPION ATR available in 255-60-18 just for case to be slight better offroad and to save on road features

I also drove other new D3 fiited with Scorpion Zeros. My experience with them was about 6800 km.
I couldn't say I see any difference with Wranglers on road. But driving D3 fiited with both tyres in wet offroad ...... even in a slight mud ......is the right way to make a fun for native country people.
Might be Zeros slight better in a slight mud
wranglers and D3 in a slight mud Laughing

D3 fitted with Wranglers like cow on ice in such conditions

stuck Confused

WBR
Alexander (LR D4, MY 14, SDV6 HSE Auto ) 

Post #27143212th Mar 2008 2:58 pm
simon

Ahhh... I remember those pics... and at the time we did note that you would be hard pressed to drive around on that surface even with MTR's fitted unless you had some good momentum going on.

Both the Wrangler and Scorpion Zero's are not an off road tyre per se, just a compromise.

Still prefer Wranglers though if I do venture off road.

Post #27143612th Mar 2008 3:02 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I've been very very pleased with the Michelin Latitude Tour. They corner as though they were on rails on greasy country lanes, and are very quiet on motorways. Have been across muddy fields and they seem fine - though they don't look very 'ard.

John
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #27146312th Mar 2008 3:37 pm
AlexIv

Russia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

simon wrote:
Ahhh... I remember those pics... and at the time we did note that you would be hard pressed to drive around on that surface even with MTR's fitted unless you had some good momentum going on.

Both the Wrangler and Scorpion Zero's are not an off road tyre per se, just a compromise.

Still prefer Wranglers though if I do venture off road.

*** sure they are not for offroad..... but the road I got stuck was usual country road. Just spring 8) ... but I do affraid now to go on such surfaces Confused You see it is still not possible to find suitable AT tyre in Russia. Continental lcrosscontact AT in 255/60/18 still not available via official vendors..... only available to be imported from Germany in a private way....via friends trips to Germany etc...
Grabbers AT2 are much more exotic Smile I wouldn't spare 4000-5000 euro for a set of original 19" wheel for installing MTR'...... By the way I saw once only one set of MTR's in a LR dealer stock.....tyres were there by pure accident with the price about 600 USD for each tyre Sad
All other size choices will affect transmission and suspension warranty as we have to go dealer each 12000 km for tech.service. Indeed more often for some warranty cases and fixing faults. And its not easy for city resident without own garage to change wheels befour each visit to deales Confused
 WBR
Alexander (LR D4, MY 14, SDV6 HSE Auto ) 

Post #27146612th Mar 2008 3:42 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
...I too

Have the scorpions...mostly road use & I reckon they will just get to 20k now at 16k
I will look around before I buy...Possibly Wranglers as they seem to have higher mileage by a factor of a lot
I also reckon the Scorpions aren't as good in the wet (on roads that is...they aquaplane like crazy.

I just wish Vredestien made tyres this size (D£ HSE)
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #27168412th Mar 2008 8:27 pm
hudsonian

John C wrote:
I've been very very pleased with the Michelin Latitude Tour. They corner as though they were on rails on greasy country lanes, and are very quiet on motorways. Have been across muddy fields and they seem fine - though they don't look very 'ard.

John

John, how do the Michelin's wear? I am needing to replace soon and I am between them and the Goodyear, which ever last the longest will get the sale.

Post #27475518th Mar 2008 7:52 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Michelins will last longer. Had Wranglers on the D2 -they lasted less than 20K. Synchrones (which have been replaced by the Latitudes) were good for 40K+
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #27475718th Mar 2008 7:55 pm
hudsonian

John C wrote:
Michelins will last longer. Had Wranglers on the D2 -they lasted less than 20K. Synchrones (which have been replaced by the Latitudes) were good for 40K+

Thanks 8)

Post #27583220th Mar 2008 7:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >