Page 3 of 3 <123
Should al-Megrahi have been released ?
Yes ...it was the right thing to do in the circumstance
11%
 11%  [4]
No ....he should have died in his cell
77%
 77%  [27]
Other ...I don't think he did it and shouldn't have been there.
11%
 11%  [4]
Total Votes: 35

NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8213210.stm

So much for a quiet return with no bells and no Censored whistles. Censored ers!
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Post #51004220th Aug 2009 10:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rescue01

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

well dont we look like bawbags Embarassed
 Its not the height of the fall but the sudden stop at the bottom that hurts!!  
Post #51005520th Aug 2009 10:56 pm
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Just watched Obama 'angry' response to this and I'm affraid its just more disingenuous tripe from a president with too many battles on his hands both home and abroad.

'house arrest'! that the best they could come up with?

Do you honestly think Scotland could make a decision like this on its own without consulting those in London and Washington ? not a chance.

Gaddafi has been in from the cold for a long time. Only at the last G8 summit both Brown and Obama shook the mans hand. In the muslim world and in an ever increasingly Chinese influenced African continent, the 'west' has been playing catch up. Deals have been struck and concessions made and unfortunately your anger and annoyance doesn't come into it.

Let them have their party, he'll be dead soon enough.

I'be heard two relatives on the radio today and neither got much consolation from his conviction in the first place so they didnt seem that bothered. What bothered them most is that they have been battling their own Governments for the past 20 years to get real answers on who was responsible ........... That battle will continue for a long long time I'm affraid
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life.  
Post #51006920th Aug 2009 11:39 pm
Ken

I find Binghams casebooks a PITA Whistle

Post #51008821st Aug 2009 7:07 am
Popelka

Czech Republic 

and all we're seeing on the news cannels at the moment is that he's treated as a hero on his return; what will ahppen when he dies in 3 months (or sooner) will he get a hero burial and will we see more violence around the world ??
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #51013321st Aug 2009 11:33 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tombuidhe

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi - I don't normally talk about politics (well not aloud anyway as someone will always be offended) but here goes. Some posters here have talked of their anger about Kenny MacAskill's decision to release Megrahi on compassionate grounds. I hold no brief for MacAskill, the SNP or politicians in general as they are all, in my view, venal self serving bottom feeders. Politics is a mucky busines and realpolitik even more so. I did feel sorry for MacAskill as he (and the SNP, and Scotland) have been stitched up by both the UK and US Governments. Megrahi's release was a done deal when Blair met Gaddafi in Tripoli and if anyone really believes that Blair did anything without consulting (and receiving agreement from) the US government then they must also believe in the tooth fairy and that Peter Mandelson's recent meeting with Gaddafi's son was just a coincidence. Both the US & UK goverments have been able to have their cake and eat it. They've got Megrahi back to Libya and his appeal against conviction dropped, with the added bonus that they can appear outraged at MacAskill's decision (as though he made it!!) and play to their own domestic galleries - the UK government have delighted in being able to say that they wouldn't have made this decision and that any blame lies with the SNP and the Scottish legal system. If the Scottish Executive have been guilty of anything then it's of being naive in their dealings with the Blairs and Mandelsons of this world.

There have also been comments about justice for the dead but again in the murky world of intelligence agencies and politics the dead are generally seen as expendable (although regrettable). I note that nobody seems to find it much of a coincidence that shortly before Lockerbie the USS Vincennes shot down an Iranian passenger plane killing all on board - I suspect that the relatives of those dead civilians feel that they haven't had much justice either.

Sorry if I've offended anyone but things are never quite as it seems in the tabloid headlines, and the politicians always get away with it and only the foot soldiers pay the price.

David

Post #51018021st Aug 2009 1:26 pm
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

tombuidhe wrote:

I note that nobody seems to find it much of a coincidence that shortly before Lockerbie the USS Vincennes shot down an Iranian passenger plane killing all on board - I suspect that the relatives of those dead civilians feel that they haven't had much justice either.

I think the commander of the USS Vincennes got a medal at the White House for his efforts aswell Thud

Twil probably slip off the front pages in the next couple of days anyway.

Scotland is a Humane Champion
US & Eng Outraged .......... but they'll get over it
Gaddafi and Libya get one over on the West in the eyes of the fundamentalists.
and once those pipelines are refurbished into Italy, we'll all be toastie and warm in the cold winter to come with cheap oil and gas.

Everyones a winner!
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life.  
Post #51019521st Aug 2009 1:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >