Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

SDV6 Bouncing Temp gauge - HELP!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Jetlag

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
SDV6 Bouncing Temp gauge - HELP!

On a recent trip my temperature gauge has started bouncing which leads me to think there is possibly something wrong with the sensor itself as simply based on logic, temperature cannot drop that quickly.

More info on when the problem occurs: When driving uphill the temperature goes up, on the apex of the hill it stays and going downhill it drops back to normal. The engine does sound to be working harder when going uphill and the car does seem to lose power. It also happens when the gears are cycling often such as when driving in thick sand, gears going 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd.

I have checked the engine bay for signs of engine overheating, bubbling water, steam etc and none fo the above. Engine bay temp does not seem excessive either.

IIDtool BT does not read any faults which is also strange

The car drives as per normal and no issues...

I have had a dual gearbox flush done along with a double dose of DrTranny

Cat has been removed

Below is a video of the problem. Driving uphill, the road has quite a few bumps as its quite uneven so excuse the in car rattles.

Disco 4 SDV6 HSE with Compomotives, BFG 265/65R18s, BigCountry drawer system, Melvill & Moon covers, NL 52L fridge, FR Spare Wheel Carrier, FR Roof Rack, Tenco RTT, FR 50" LED Bar, dual spots, Lift Rods, Mantec Snorkel, C-TEK Dual batt system, 270 Ostrichwing, Maxtrax, Icom ID-5100, Icom ID-51 as secondary, IIDtool BT
Follow my adventures on Instagram @XpeditionAfrica

Post #18988918th Jan 2018 8:13 am
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Have you checked by "live values" the coolant temp with the IIDTool while driving (comparison between D4 Gauge and value read by the IIDTool)?

Air bubble/lock inside the circuit? try to degas it (remove the engine cover, there are two plastic cap for degas the circuit, and a 3rd on the coolant reservoir tank)
 Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Post #18988968th Jan 2018 8:35 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jetlag

I did check the live values and they were fluctuating in the same manner which didnt make sense.

Will try degassing the system but can only do that when I am back home in a couple of weeks...

When the disco engine overheats, does it act the same way or does the temp stay at high?
 Disco 4 SDV6 HSE with Compomotives, BFG 265/65R18s, BigCountry drawer system, Melvill & Moon covers, NL 52L fridge, FR Spare Wheel Carrier, FR Roof Rack, Tenco RTT, FR 50" LED Bar, dual spots, Lift Rods, Mantec Snorkel, C-TEK Dual batt system, 270 Ostrichwing, Maxtrax, Icom ID-5100, Icom ID-51 as secondary, IIDtool BT

Post #18988988th Jan 2018 9:10 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

I had that with my D3, was because a large part of my radiator was packed solid with mud. Sad

Post #18989028th Jan 2018 9:21 am
Jetlag

@DSL, now that seems like a Viable option - We have been mudding a LOT recently! Will certainly have a look at that

Post #18989048th Jan 2018 9:31 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Your intercooler will prob also be a mud brick. If you have access to an IID (other widgets are available) you can check coolant, boost and ambient temps to see what is going on. Thumbs Up

Post #18989108th Jan 2018 10:16 am
Jetlag

Yeah I do have an IIDtool - any guidelines I could follow?

Do you maybe have any tips on how to clean out the radiator & Intercooler?

Post #18989138th Jan 2018 10:31 am
DSL

Ukraine 

I replaced them, I kept the intercooler to clean it and sell it on but never got round to it and it was skipped.

Re temps, and as a non techie so from what I can gather, boost temp should only be a few degrees above ambient, much higher than that and the intercooler isn't doing its thing. Re cooling temp, I've seen numbers up to 108c charging up hills in warm weather, no light/warning. ISTR the warning is tripped at 120c. One way to check coolant temp sensor is that it, and all other sensors, should be at ambient when "cold" and engine not cranked. Thumbs Up

Post #18989168th Jan 2018 10:47 am
DiscoJeffster

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

That is a clear indicator of an issue and is not an electrical fault. I would avoid stressing the engine like that if at all possible going forward. I think the suggestions about clogged cooling are reasonable but not so easy to resolve. High pressure water can help, but to get it all out you’ll likely have to remove the radiator to do it effectively - not a small job. As suggested it might be trapped air but you’d need to question how and why. Have you had anything replaced that might have cracked open the cooling system to let air in? There’s a really remote possibility of a thermostat failure as well to consider, but look at the above first before that.

Post #18989928th Jan 2018 2:57 pm
Jetlag

I think rather than cleaning I will just replace the entire RAD pack Smile and de-gas the circuit. This will be my step 1 in resolving the problem and yes, I will not stress the engine any further until its resolved

Post #18991599th Jan 2018 7:23 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Remember my observation/advice is as a resident non-techie. I might be wrong, it has been known. It was a Tuesday in a galaxy far, far away. And it was raining. Whistle

Post #18991609th Jan 2018 7:28 am
Jetlag

DSL, I hear you and noted Smile

The advice a few have given along with my own logic, it makes perfect logical sense that there is a problem with the cooling and by replacing the RAD pack completely is step 1 in eliminating the problem.

I plan on keeping the car for a while to come so nothing wrong with having a few extra spares laying around. Rolling with laughter

Post #18991619th Jan 2018 7:35 am
OJ

Scotland 

DSL wrote:
Remember my observation/advice is as a resident non-techie. I might be wrong, it has been known. It was a Tuesday in a galaxy far, far away. And it was raining. Whistle

Ahhh so thats where you were, shopping again Del Laughing
http://www.galaxywinecompany.com/

Post #18991629th Jan 2018 7:39 am
DSL

Ukraine 

I wish!! Looks expensive. Thumbs Up

Post #18991639th Jan 2018 7:43 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >