Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Seat & Headrest Design problem?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Ecosse

Seat & Headrest Design problem?

I would be interested to know whether any owners have suffered problems, whether just inability to get a comfortable driving position or indeed does anyone think they have suffered back/neck pains/stiffness from the Disco's seats?, as I have noticed that the seats are forcing drivers (& indeed passengers) to adopt a slouched or hunched up position.
This seems (at least on my HSE and I have yet to check whether other models are different) to be due to 2 factors:- (a) the lower lumbar shaping (even with adjustable lumbar support) causes the back to curve outwards rather than the correct posture of an "S" shape and (b) the headrest is fixed so as to force the head/neck forward (unlike in the D2, RR, RRS etc).
I have experimented by adding extra lumbar support (an old sweater!!) and sure enough the drivers position then conforms with the correct anatomical posture, but the headrest then physically forces the neck forward putting strains on the neck! It seems that it is therefore physically impossible to get a correct seating posture for the back/shoulders/neck.
Could anyone who has encountered problems, also detail the build date & model involved plus an indication of the height & build of the driver, to determine if this only affects certain models/builds (in case seat design was changed at any point?) or indeed certain driver sizes Wink

Post #10155114th Nov 2006 9:51 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I'm 5' 11'', 'average' build and have the same issues with the manual seat on my S. Can't normally get comfortable, lumbar support is next to useless and yes the headrest tends force me forward and down the seat so I often have to push myself back up again. Height adjustment on the manual seats only operates on the rear of the seat which is annoying too.
 The End 

Last edited by Slimer on 14th Nov 2006 11:19 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #10155314th Nov 2006 10:04 am
mach1

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Interesting timing, I've just got off the phone to the osteopath.

I have a pre-existing back condition from an accident years ago so I suppose I've always been a bit careful. The old D2 seats were excellent, and I could literally drive all day and get out without any problems and on the face of it the D3's seats should be better because of the extra adjustment. Since I've had the D3 (just over a month) I've had 2 severe bouts of back pain which might be coincidence but it would be interesting to hear other people experiences.

Edited to add: I'm 6'4" and 15 stone if that makes any difference.

Post #10156014th Nov 2006 10:32 am
Alex E
Holy Bratwurst! 

i'm amused, i work with the guy who lead the team who designed the front seats for the D3, it took 6 of them over a year to design them! Shocked

he now designs oak frame houses under my supervision, Rolling with laughter

i'll just go and remind him he's an idiot.
Twisted Evil
 I'm Powered by........Diesel Thud  
Post #10156914th Nov 2006 11:10 am
PSC

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Alex E wrote:
i'm amused, i work with the guy who lead the team who designed the front seats for the D3, it took 6 of them over a year to design them! Shocked

Ahh that explains a lot. Maybe they should stick to broth ... Rolling Eyes

-- Paul

Post #10157514th Nov 2006 11:36 am
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Sat in a Freelander 2 seat for about 10 mins the other week, they are fantastic.
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #10157714th Nov 2006 11:38 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ecosse

Without being a "spoil sport" Wink , could we keep this Thread on track please (Martin - can you delete non-relevant postings please?), as I think, especially bearing in mind Slimer & Mach1's responses that there is potentially a very serious issue here.
If indeed there were to be a design problem that causes potential medical/back problems, then LR/Ford may have their biggest/most expensive issue yet with this model Wink as there could be substantial claims from anyone affected.
Thanks

Post #10157914th Nov 2006 11:46 am
Pelyma

England 

Sorry but I find the HSE seats great, but I'm 5'4"
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #10158314th Nov 2006 11:56 am
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Should have said that although I think my S seats are poor I feel fine after a long journey. 6' tall
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #10158514th Nov 2006 11:58 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

6ft tall & did 1050 miles in one day. Felt fine during and after that trip.

Post #10159114th Nov 2006 12:14 pm
al cope

England 

Had my D3 for exactly a year now, and I still cant get comfy. Its an S model, and I've had the sinking drivers seat issue, to the point that I now dont bother trying to raise it. I'm 6'4", 17st, and I get pain from my right leg as I cant get the seat to pedal position correct. I dont get any issue from the headrest, but I always feel like I'm sliding down the seat. I've had the dealer look at it not long after purchase, and apart from checking seat mechanisms, nothing was/could be done. Dealer suggested escalation to LR, duly done, with no effect whatsoever.

Like you D2 seating position was perfect.

Alan
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #10159614th Nov 2006 12:28 pm
nobbyclark

Poor seat design was cited as one of the major gripes when the D3 came out, especially the manual seats.

I used to get a really sore neck after a couple of hours of driving my S, to the point where I dreaded doing a long trip. This never happened in my old TDi ES with electric, leather seats. I'm 6'3 and 14(ish) stone.

However, I now don't get any pains, despite spending up to 10 hours a day in the car sometimes. I suspect my body has adapted to the shape of the seat, which may not be a good thing in the long run.
 No longer a D3 owner but still subscribed to multiple threads!  
Post #10161814th Nov 2006 2:08 pm
Alex E
Holy Bratwurst! 

when we drove back form morocco we only stopped for fuel and 1 breakfast, this was 37 hours and i felt fine, no pain at all, i'm sure the other boys would tell you the same as i didn't hear anyone complaining. although i forget things easily, what was this topic about anyway? Laughing
 I'm Powered by........Diesel Thud  
Post #10161914th Nov 2006 2:12 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Second that (whatever it was Rolling Eyes ) no problems at all with the seats... maybe there's something wrong with mine? Confused

Post #10164914th Nov 2006 2:58 pm
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

No problems here and I'm pretty normal in most respects. Must admit, I did fiddle about a bit before finding a comfy position when first took delivery but have to say it's never caused me problems.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #10165214th Nov 2006 3:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >