Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Sensor in air intake and hesitation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
JimboD3

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Sensor in air intake and hesitation

Sorry no pics, but what's the sensor called that sits in the 'Y' piece air intake just inward of the EGR pipe inlets ?

Reason for asking is that when I blanked my EGR's at the weekend, I took that sensor out and it was caked in gunk (no surprise really - all down to the EGR's !!), so I carefully cleaned it with a clean cloth and replaced it.

I had hoped that blanking the EGR's would stop the slight 'hesitation' that I sometimes get when pulling away at low revs - the Disco doesnt always do it, but when it does theres a cloud of black smoke from the exhaust (only one side I believe).

The Disco does seem to drive much better now that the EGR's are blanked, but I'd still like to cure the hesitation and black smoke 'burp' if possible.

On my old Td5 D2, the MAF sensor used to get coated in gunk, and cleaning and/or replacing it used to restore some performance.........I'm wondering if I've got a similar problem on the D3 ?

Any ideas ?
 Jim
Standard TDV6 HSE
Non-standard Td5 110 Hardtop

Club Traxide 

Post #63905321st Apr 2010 9:19 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I had a shudder/hesitation just on take off at very low revs. turned out the throttle body seals were leaking. May worth checking?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #63905621st Apr 2010 9:26 am
JimboD3

caverD3 wrote:
I had a shudder/hesitation just on take off at very low revs. turned out the throttle body seals were leaking. May worth checking?

Where would I find the throttle bodies - somewhere under the plastic cover I guess, any pics ?
 Jim
Standard TDV6 HSE

Club Traxide 

Post #63906321st Apr 2010 9:41 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Not sure, dealer did it. I think it is the plastic egg shaped thing on top of the engine.
I am sure someone else will know.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #63907521st Apr 2010 10:07 am
redrover

Australia 
Re: Sensor in air intake and hesitation

JimboD3 wrote:
Sorry no pics, but what's the sensor called that sits in the 'Y' piece air intake just inward of the EGR pipe inlets ?

Reason for asking is that when I blanked my EGR's at the weekend, I took that sensor out and it was caked in gunk (no surprise really - all down to the EGR's !!), so I carefully cleaned it with a clean cloth and replaced it.

I had hoped that blanking the EGR's would stop the slight 'hesitation' that I sometimes get when pulling away at low revs - the Disco doesnt always do it, but when it does theres a cloud of black smoke from the exhaust (only one side I believe).

The Disco does seem to drive much better now that the EGR's are blanked, but I'd still like to cure the hesitation and black smoke 'burp' if possible.

On my old Td5 D2, the MAF sensor used to get coated in gunk, and cleaning and/or replacing it used to restore some performance.........I'm wondering if I've got a similar problem on the D3 ?

Any ideas ?

Hi Jim,
Check your intercooler hoses for any splits or bad connections. I didn't think diesels had throttle bodies??
cheers,
Anthony

Post #63915921st Apr 2010 2:11 pm
JimboD3

I did wonder about a split/leaking/collapsing intercooler hose - but wouldnt that cause problems at full 'load', ie when I'm booting it...........I don't have a problem then Twisted Evil , it's only when the engine is under a gentle load.
 Jim
Standard TDV6 HSE

Club Traxide 

Post #63931621st Apr 2010 7:58 pm
redrover

Australia 

My split intercooler hose would cause smoke under slight acceleration as well. It also caused the engine light to come on eventually.

Post #63950121st Apr 2010 10:51 pm
greeny1

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

redrover wrote:
My split intercooler hose would cause smoke under slight acceleration as well. It also caused the engine light to come on eventually.

Hi i have just been reading your questions and answers about the d3 with the engine that seems to hesitate at low revs under a slight load

I have a d3 on a 06 plate tdv6 manual and mine is suffering this exact sympton i have cleaned the sensor that is in the Y piece pipe as you said and mine also was full of gunk it does seem to drive smoother now it is clean but still has this hesitation judder sometimes!

Please could you inlighten me to any other tests you might of carried out to get to the bottom of this fault?

Regards Chris

Post #74766916th Jan 2011 3:34 pm
JimboD3

I cured my problem with a nice new silicon intercooler hose courtesy of Mr Pete Bell @ BAS ( Bow down )

Jim
 Jim
Standard TDV6 HSE

Club Traxide 

Post #74802817th Jan 2011 9:28 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >