Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Members Helping Members

Shooting permissions needed, are rabbits a problem?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
fisherman

Wales 

I didn't think that you were for a minute.
If you're looking, the Weiruach is very good as is the Daystate Huntsman.
I and many others would suggest a .22 as opposed to a .177 calibre as it has more grunt. The .177 has a flatter trajectory but not the same punch on impact.
Good hunting. Thumbs Up
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #91088817th Mar 2012 1:20 pm
RMB

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hi Fisherman

I do shotguns myself. Pigeons pheasant etc and do not Apologise for enjoying it. { for all nature lovers } Confused

Was thinking of trying airguns again, lovely long QUIET Very Happy summer days in the country side again. Thumbs Up

Air guns when I had them were not like this. http://www.fxairguns.com/2012/03/verminator-mkii-extreme-2/

Makes you want to go back to it. Could fish to Rolling with laughter
Thumbs Up

Rab
 B-A-S Remap Interface giving me control over my remap  
Post #91089417th Mar 2012 1:42 pm
Rushjob

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
One of my collection, it's a bit too much for bunnies though!

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 A common mistake made when trying to come up with a totally foolproof design is to completely underestimate the innate ingenuity of fools. :doh:  
Post #91091017th Mar 2012 2:18 pm
RMB

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Geeze Rushjob

Are you a big left handed boy, that looks like a LONG butt you got there Thumbs Up
Rab
Post #91091117th Mar 2012 2:25 pm
Rushjob

RMB wrote:
Geeze Rushjob

Are you a big left handed boy, that looks like a LONG butt you got there Thumbs Up
Rab

What do you mean commenting on my butt! Shocked

It's actually a bit deceiving to look at in a photo but the LOP is only 13.75 inches, it's just the thumbhole setup that makes it look a lot longer.

For some reason no one used to like standing next to me on the range for pistol quais as they were just in the right position to get all of my hot brass down the neck of their shirt!

Pure Leftism I call it. Laughing
 A common mistake made when trying to come up with a totally foolproof design is to completely underestimate the innate ingenuity of fools. :doh:  
Post #91091517th Mar 2012 2:37 pm
RMB

good job its not a semi auto Rolling with laughter

I used to have a Ruger 10/22 with a 25 magazine, now that could through out some brass Thumbs Up

Is it a must now for rifles to have Moderators, used to be a special on tickets.

Rab
Post #91094217th Mar 2012 4:29 pm
Rushjob

Got a 10/22 as well.

Not a must for mods, but it makes it a little quieter if there are houses etc in the vicinity and it saves my ears too.

No problem getting them but they have to be on your ticket.
Post #91094317th Mar 2012 4:38 pm
RMB

Gave my Fac ticket up 25 years ago, started with shotguns about 4 years ago.

I miss the Accuracy, and tactics of rifle shooting, shotgun is just a swing and shoot gun. Confused

Now these modern air guns seem good fun without all the problems of holding on to a FAC. Very Happy

This post has got me thinking, Thumbs Up bank account may get hit soon. Shocked
Rab
Post #91094517th Mar 2012 4:49 pm
Rushjob

You know you need to!
Post #91109617th Mar 2012 10:35 pm
fisherman

Wales 

I started by just popping into an Airgun shop and walked out a grand worse off. Since then it's cost at least an arm if not a leg too on night vision and scopes et al.
If you're just looking, leave your wallet at home!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!

Post #91151919th Mar 2012 12:30 am
RMB

Fisherman

Well I got a couple of shotguns I may trade, got to Many of them. Took me a while to get one I liked Rolling with laughter

Will keep my auto for pigeons and my Blaser F3 for pheasants and clays

Damn I got it all thought out already Censored

Sorry for sidetracking your post Fisherman. Embarassed

Rab.
Post #91152519th Mar 2012 12:50 am
fisherman

Wales 

No problem Rab, doesn't seem much in the way of offers coming my way for shooting permissions as it happens. Big Cry
I'll have to frighten off the golfers at the existing permissions to get some day shooting done. Shouldn't be too difficult considering I'll have a gun in my hands. Twisted Evil

Post #91162219th Mar 2012 12:50 pm
chalky

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Have you tried approaching the local land owners in your area and asked them if they want the service that you are offering ?

I approached the local farmer whilst he was in his tractor, i was walking the dog at the time ! he told me i could take as any pigeon as i could carry, Rabbits are pretty scarce round where i live but Hares are plenty, i am under strict instruction NOT to bag the hares as he likes these on the fields ?

I was told told that if i could reduce the Rat population round the grain store and reduce the Fox population round the rearing pens then all i had to do was tell him when i was going and that was it.

The Rats are an absolute Joke with an air rifle ! it took about 3 shots from my HW97K before they started leaping in the air as they heard the spring thwack ! the ones i did manage to hit rubbed themselves down before running off ! i resorted to the old .410 which was most effective.

The Fox population is now reduced and i'm sick to the back teeth of Pigeon !
If anyone wants a good recipe for Pigeon curry look up Archie's Curry.

Unfortunately just shooting enough for the pot isnt really an option in many cases as the land owner will want other pests controlled at the same time, i've lost no end of permission because of work commitments, if you dont go regularly then they will pass it on, i've even had one land owner asking me to shoot birds of prey ! Censored !
So i reported him !

Good luck in your quest and let me know what you make of the curry !
 Only dead fish go with the Flow !  
Post #91164219th Mar 2012 1:51 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I've not dared ventured into looking for permission yet, as I feel I don't have enough time as it is, never mind spending hours in a field, wouldnt mind giving it a go one day though

Post #91166319th Mar 2012 2:24 pm
fishinmad

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I am from a farming background and I have been mad keen on all country pursuits since the age of 11-12 when I my dad allowed me to have my first air-rifle, to this day I still fish (both course and game), shoot on both driven days and rough shooting, lamping rabbits using our Beddlington lurcher with my daughter (who has sharper eyes than me).

Getting access to do these things has always been a problem as there are a lot of people wanting to access farm land (indeed my father was approached almost on a weekly basis by people wanting to shoot vermin on his land).

The only real way to get access is by word of mouth as in many other pastimes you need to get a network of people who share the same interests.

In my view a good way to start is to become a beater on a syndicate shoot (ie. a shoot owned and run by the members rather than a commercial shoot) try going for a while and if you get on with everyone (like most social situations it is best for the newcomer to keep their head down, do anything that asked and not be too extravert!) after a while you will be accepted into the ‘group’ then ask if you can either go our with someone from the shoot one evening to control vermin (in my world foxes, rabbits, pigeons and rats are all vermin) and you will usually find it all sort of happens from there.

Before you know it you will be broke as all you money will be spent on sneaking more ‘must have’ equipment into the garage without the wife noticing, going on shooting and fishing trips which (“won’t cost very much I promise”!)

Now if only I could find out how to do the above now I live in Spain I might not have to fly back to the UK so often! Whistle

Post #91166519th Mar 2012 2:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >