Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Shortening the ride height linkage? Discoweb link.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
JamesWyatt

United States 2006 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3
Shortening the ride height linkage? Discoweb link.

I'm following this thread on Discoweb. Has anyone here shortened the ride height sensor linkage to fool the system like person did? Looks like a pretty simple solution to a complicated problem.

http://discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?p=378198

Quote:
So I spent an hour with the tech at the dealership yesterday trying to reprogram the suspension. After this didnt work we decided to trick the system by shortening the linkage on the ride height sensors. VOILA!! It worked and my truck now rides higher all the time.

OFFROAD HEIGHT = Now 1"+ higher
RIDE HEIGHT = old offroad height
ACCESS HEIGHT = old ride height

I'll take some pics ASAP and post! (then i'll find out the hard way what gets ruined from doing this)

G

Post #15000519th Apr 2007 8:39 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Seems a stupid thing to do - not only is the C of G higher, with the likelyhood of inducing instability but the CV joints are also working at a greater angle as a matter of course, leading to premature drivetrain failure, more stress on wheelbearings, incorrect (for road use) steering and wheel geometry etc. etc.

Can't think why anyone would want to do it Confused I really hope LR don't get stung for warranty on this one!

Post #15001219th Apr 2007 8:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

What TFC said Thumbs Up

Was going to say something similar but I knew he'd soon be along with a right words Very Happy
 The End  
Post #15001719th Apr 2007 8:57 pm
JamesWyatt

The reason for doing this would be so you can select extended mode with a switch. The drawback is that you cannot lock it in access mode at higher speeds. If you could do that, you could still drive the vehicle at the factory height for daily driving.

Post #15002619th Apr 2007 9:07 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

why would you want to do either when they are clearly outside of the normal operating environment and design limits of the vehicle?
The message to reset the ride height once clear of the obstacle isn't a health & safety message ya know!

Post #15002919th Apr 2007 9:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

I don't believe this. Please no one else try this mod. Someone is going to get hurt. I off road my D3s all the time and I have never needed to manually raise the suspension.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #15003519th Apr 2007 9:25 pm
JamesWyatt

We'll see if/when it tears up his truck. Looks like he's the lone guinea pig.

Post #15005219th Apr 2007 10:05 pm
christyler

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Ride Hight

STOP IT, STOP IT. IT'S SILLY

I agree with 10, if it was supposed to do it LR would have a switch for it. Now i am not one to talk cause i have modified just about everything. But when it comes to suspention brakes etc, thats silly.
Don't do it, I would'nt.
 CLUB "Ah Shor it'll be grand"

First D3 in the World with a Hydraulic Winch.
2006 Disco 3 TDV6 S Auto,
Diff Locks, Turbochipped, Raised Air Intake, 220volts Onboard, Onboard Compressor, Large Bore Exahust, Underbody Protection, One or two Other Mods as well.
Other toys include, Argo Avenger 8x8, Tatra 6x6 Motorhome (Being Built) 

Post #15017820th Apr 2007 1:04 am
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I'm not sure that this approach is the right approach, BUT, this is exactly what Matzker have done/provided in their commercially available suspension modification. The tolerances in the suspension system must be able to handle this minor change - it's is not changing the angles to any extreme...

Get off his back.

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #15018020th Apr 2007 1:22 am
christyler

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

simon_arch1 wrote:
Get off his back.

Simon

consider his back well and truley off, Yawn Yawn
 CLUB "Ah Shor it'll be grand"

First D3 in the World with a Hydraulic Winch.
2006 Disco 3 TDV6 S Auto,
Diff Locks, Turbochipped, Raised Air Intake, 220volts Onboard, Onboard Compressor, Large Bore Exahust, Underbody Protection, One or two Other Mods as well.
Other toys include, Argo Avenger 8x8, Tatra 6x6 Motorhome (Being Built) 

Post #15018320th Apr 2007 2:26 am
300+

simon_arch1 wrote:
I'm not sure that this approach is the right approach, BUT, this is exactly what Matzker have done/provided in their commercially available suspension modification. The tolerances in the suspension system must be able to handle this minor change - it's is not changing the angles to any extreme...

Get off his back.

Simon

I thought the matzker system didn't change the normal height? That way it will preserve stability and CVs for the bulk of your miles.

Steve

Post #15018420th Apr 2007 3:50 am
JamesWyatt

Not to worry folks, no harm in swatting mosquitoes! 8)

I would be interested to know, however, if the height sensor could be adjusted to just a smaller change, maybe 3/4 of an inch. It would be nice to be able to not have rubbing with the larger 18" BFG ATs, Nittos, etc. I have the rear air conditioning, so I cannot trim the required spot. Sad I think instead I may opt for the Goodyear Silent Armor tires. They have an 18" size that is only .5" larger than stock (as opposed to 1.5" larger like the other popular options).

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

Click image to enlarge

Post #15018520th Apr 2007 4:20 am
Jamo

Australia 

simon_arch1 wrote:

Actually Simon, it would mean that off road height was closer to Extended mode. I don't think the car is meant to remain in extended mode for long periods. There would be extra strain off road.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #15018620th Apr 2007 5:06 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I guess we'll have to wait to see if there's any adverse effects...... If the sprung versions (including Betsy!) can be raised higher than original specification intended, I see no problem in (someone else!) trying it out. Understand the risks TFC et al have stated, but if no-one tries anything, then nothing gets developed or improved.
Sounds a bit dumb, but who knows, maybe it will work....?

As Andrew implied, the D3 is a seriously good offroad vehicle as standard, so you've got to be looking at some severe offroad requirements to make it worthwhile. Maybe if James can keep us updated at least we'd know one way or another. Could prove to be a popular aftermarket mod in a few years time when the D3's are old enough for people not to worry about if it will break or not.....?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #15018720th Apr 2007 6:45 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

simon_arch1 wrote:
this is exactly what Matzker have done/provided in their commercially available suspension modification.

There's a world of difference between a company that has expertise in this area designing, testing and implementing a commercial system to someone fannying around with the suspension to achieve a similar result. All told the Matzker system appears to have weaknesses in this area, as shown to those taking part in last years Morocco trip.

simon_arch1 wrote:
Get off his back.

Who's back? ....the chap who has made the mod isn't even on here Confused .....and if here were, members are entitled to give there opinions and as in this case express their concerns to James who has enquired about the mod. Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #15018820th Apr 2007 6:52 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >