DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Side Lights & OR fairly lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

...of course I meant creator of all things good Whistle Laughing
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #55837630th Nov 2009 10:27 pm
stevo

Australia 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Back to the subject of LED's. My dealer told me that there are various configurations depending on which country the vehicle is set up for. Does anyone know whether there is a set up for running lights ON permanently with ignition switch on?
 Disco 4 Sept 09  
Post #5594932nd Dec 2009 8:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jesse B

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

I saw mention of "Daytime running lights" in the manual as a "dealer set" option - so I asked my dealer here in rural West Oz fi they'd do this for me, when it was in with them for a headlight adjustment issue yesterday. They had a go, but said that it seemed that this option is market specific and doesn't appear to include Australia. They've sent a tech bulletin to LRA - when I get an answer I'll post it here (s'long as I remember!).

Post #5766098th Jan 2010 9:26 am
stevo

great, can i ask you what the headlight issue was? Mine seem to aim a beam at the trees along side the road at about 2m from the ground?
 Disco 4 Sept 09  
Post #5766778th Jan 2010 11:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jesse B

Ditto - both high beam halogens high, wide and not very handsome.

See: http://www.aulro.com/afvb/d3-d4-zone/95582...nment.html for the full story.

Post #5766888th Jan 2010 11:27 am
stevo

Great, read the other thread as well. Will be interesting to see what happens from this. I will tell my dealer next week to see if they can also log a complaint with LRA as well.
 Disco 4 Sept 09  
Post #5768598th Jan 2010 2:37 pm
Jesse B

Good plan - the more folk who grumble about this the better chance there is of LRA (and maybe LR in the UK) realising there is an issue here.

I'd be interested to know if folk in the UK / Europe / US who have the halogen + bi-xenon set up have the same issue, with both halogens shining hopelessly high and wide on high beam? Presume this must be the case, though it could of course be a random issue, only impacting some vehicles (like yours and mine, Stevo, and Graeme's too).

And apologies if we're straying a bit off topic here...

Post #5774369th Jan 2010 2:22 am
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I discovered my halogens are not wide by pointing them at a wall where I could see the beam all the way across. They only appeared wide because the bi-xenons on high beam are only directly ahead and out-shine the halogen beam there. They are still high though.

Post #5775499th Jan 2010 10:32 am
stevo

Greame,

Its not the width issue i am referring to, its the fact the they appear high by comparison, directing a beam that appears to be about 2-3 m up into the trees
 Disco 4 Sept 09  
Post #57805410th Jan 2010 3:20 am
Jesse B

Following your example, Graeme, I went and found a big wide shed wall last night and had a close look at the high beam situation. Like yours, my xenons are only dead ahead, and are right height and very bright. Halogens cast a VERY wide beam and are, like Stevo's, a good 2 - 3 metres too high. It is the width combined with the height that turns them into possum spotters. I don't think the width alone would really be an issue - if the height was right. But as they are at present they are basically useless.

Interestingly, I noticed that they seem to do their primary work on the opposite side to the light - left hand light unit shines to right side of road and right hand light to the left side. Again, probably not an issue - if height was right. It did appear that they would provide very useful spread and in-fill for the xenons - if they were aligned correctly. Yellow by comparison, but quite strong even with standard globes.

Post #57806010th Jan 2010 3:57 am
Ian825

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I also 'suffer' from these lights up in the trees while on high beam, my xenons are only dead ahead and are right height and very bright but the fill in Halogens cast a wide beam and are like yours a good 2 - 3 metres too high & appear as strips of light up in the trees as I go down the narrow lanes to work early morning, also a distraction with the apparent movement.
Mine has to go back in for a minor scratch to be touched up (done in the show room while waiting for me to pick it up) so will challenge the dealer at that time but from past history I am more up to date than they are, thanks to this forum.
Once (if ever) I get a response I will post on here.

Ian

Post #57902911th Jan 2010 3:55 pm
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Whilst I understand what you are all saying and I do see the edge of the halogen main beam as a bar of light high up in the trees either side of the road, I believe that this is just that: the edge of the beam. I can see the different colour of light in a big beam spread from the Halogen lamps.

Each to their own of course but I wouldn't change the lights at all, adaptive Xenons with the fill in works brilliantly for me. I live in the Cotswold and drive a lot on unlit roads and the D4 lights are a great contribution to safe driving IMHO Wink
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #57927511th Jan 2010 9:57 pm
Jesse B

Well, it seems that unless we engineer a change ourselves we'd better just get used to it. My local dealer raised this matter with LR Australia, and the response was "sorry, lighting as-is is an attribute of the car. And no, you can't adjust halogens independent of bi-xenons". Shocked

The answer for me now is pretty simple - fit a good set of driving lights, and learn to ignore the possum-spotters.

Post #57936312th Jan 2010 12:18 am
Jesse B

stevo wrote:
Back to the subject of LED's. My dealer told me that there are various configurations depending on which country the vehicle is set up for. Does anyone know whether there is a set up for running lights ON permanently with ignition switch on?

Sorry, forgot to add to previous post - also got a response from LR Australia on the 'daytime running lights' option - cannot be enabled for Australian market! Can be for Canada, Scandinavia and random other fortunate spots, but not down here - tho gawd knows why.

Post #57936412th Jan 2010 12:27 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Jesse B wrote:
Well, it seems that unless we engineer a change ourselves we'd better just get used to it. My local dealer raised this matter with LR Australia, and the response was "sorry, lighting as-is is an attribute of the car. And no, you can't adjust halogens independent of bi-xenons". Shocked

The answer for me now is pretty simple - fit a good set of driving lights, and learn to ignore the possum-spotters.

How much have you just paid for a vehicle with high beam pointing the wrong way? Evil or Very Mad

Answered this on AULRO:

That is a disgusting reply from LR Austalia. LR need to find a solution.

If the Halogen lights are not pointing in their right direction (ie to light the road at a distance) then they have a design fault. Claim that the halogen lights are not fit for purpose if they cannot be adjusted. The halogens (and the whole light cluster need to be in the right position first before others are adjusted. If they are not then the vehicle is not suitable when supplied.

Cover the zenons and put on hight beam. Place can a good distance from a light coloured wall. Take photo and send to LR demanding a solution. Idea

PS post it so we can see.

Seeing dealer tomorrow I will ask if they are aware.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #57937012th Jan 2010 1:01 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >