Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

silly newbie questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
cejsmith

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 3
silly newbie questions

I'm looking at getting my wife a D3 to tow her horse trailer and also maybe a caravan. I went to look at one last night and it didn't have a tow bar, so my question is how much does it cost to fit one and is there any advantage to getting one of the height adjustable ones???

Our last disco 2 had a factory fit one.

Last edited by cejsmith on 15th Jun 2013 9:53 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #111749915th Jun 2013 9:50 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

House trailer - how many rooms?

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #111750015th Jun 2013 9:51 am
cejsmith

NJSS wrote:
House trailer - how many rooms?

NJSS

No rooms but it does have a stable Very Happy

Post #111750315th Jun 2013 9:54 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Did you check in the rear NS cubby hole, some have removable ones stored in there, did you look under the plate on the rear bumer to see if the electrics are fitted? I tow a twin axle caravan with a removable tow hook and have had no issues. However some who tow everyday have opted for the fixed multi height tow bar, horses for courses sorry for the pun.
As for costs you seem to be able to pick a second hand tow bar up for around £150 both removable and fixed, electrics seem to be about £70, these are second hand prices on e bay but they do come up on here search the for sale section as I am sure there was one for sale recently.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #111750615th Jun 2013 10:00 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cejsmith

Russell wrote:
Did you check in the rear NS cubby hole, some have removable ones stored in there, did you look under the plate on the rear bumer to see if the electrics are fitted? I tow a twin axle caravan with a removable tow hook and have had no issues. However some who tow everyday have opted for the fixed multi height tow bar, horses for courses sorry for the pun.
As for costs you seem to be able to pick a second hand tow bar up for around £150 both removable and fixed, electrics seem to be about £70, these are second hand prices on e bay but they do come up on here search the for sale section as I am sure there was one for sale recently.

I did look behind the flap and there was no electrics.

Post #111762215th Jun 2013 1:46 pm
al cope

England 

Your old D2 wouldn't have had a factory fit one - it would have been a dealer fit when first brought.

I would suggest going with the fixed towbar for your horse trailer, as its a bit sturdier for sideways movement.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #111769415th Jun 2013 4:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cejsmith

al cope wrote:
Your old D2 wouldn't have had a factory fit one - it would have been a dealer fit when first brought.

I would suggest going with the fixed towbar for your horse trailer, as its a bit sturdier for sideways movement.

Al

Fair enough, the tow bar may have been dealer fit. I just know I paid for it and it came on the car as new.

Post #111769815th Jun 2013 4:23 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Al's advice of a fixed tow-bar is good advice if your towing horses as the quick fit ones do tend to move from side to a little bit when they get worn..

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #111771215th Jun 2013 4:43 pm
d3mad

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Definitely get the fixed not the removable

I found the height of the removable tow-bar is the problem for four wheel trailers. It is too high.

Personally I did not feel comfortable with the removable either, it did not look man enough for the horse trailer, but probably is.

The fixed towbar is a solid piece of kit and has adjustable height (Fixed / adjustable - is that a contradiction?). I got a LR one from TLO at Yeovil LR who you will find on the forum.

It is perfect for towing the Ifor Williams 510 horse trailer. The D3 is an incredible vehicle for towing as well. We live in a hilly area and the vehicle copes brilliantly.
 2 x D3's (Twins)
TDV6 HSE 2006 - Buckingham Blue - Wintrac Exreme S
HIDS4U GVIF + Reversing camera
HIDS4U Blackvue HD front and rear
HIDS4U OSRAM CBI xenon bulbs +
HIDS4U LED's interior & exterior
CKO Twin DVB-TV Freeview Tuner
Traxide Dual Battery System with Optima
BAS FBH remote
Bodsy DRL's
Bodsy EGR's Blanked
V8 Brake Upgrade by Steve, Advanced Factors 

Post #111787815th Jun 2013 9:50 pm
Lid

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

I am using the detachable towbar with my D3 and an Ifor Williams 510 and it is absolutely fine. My local tow shop have also endorsed the set up.

My bigger problem is my horse doesn't like the trailer. In 3 short trips he's dented the floor, wrecked the plastic panelling, bent the partition, cut his foot, hurt his back and his hip. I may have to get a lorry, which he is fine in!

Post #111790315th Jun 2013 10:52 pm
Hobgoblin

Location: As always, in the sh*t, it's only the depth that varies

Spain 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

Which side of the trailer do you normally carry him on Question We had a horse that was a nightmare to travel on the right hand side but was fine on the left, or if he is on his own take the partitions out, ours was no problem when travelling on his own with the patitions removed.
 I'm not as good as I once was........but I'm as good once as I ever was.  
Post #111791115th Jun 2013 11:07 pm
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I can agree and concur with the last comment....recently upgraded daughters horse for a bigger faster model and horse went gerraty when loaded resulting in shoes off blood everywhere and utter nightmare. Was looking at then the huge expense of a lorry and with one last trip we removed central partition and put full width breech bars in. Result: Horse travelled without a squeak, absolutely perfect ....it just gives him more room to stand and splay his legs for balance....
Now to return to subject..D3 brilliant horse box towing vehicle...we put a fixed plate tow bar on just from that little more resilience..... Perfect!
Good luck xx

Post #111792416th Jun 2013 12:07 am
JDB

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

..... and if you want a removable tow bar whilst thinking about a fixed one - I have one available for £125 delivered.
It's in good condition and with 2 orange keys.
Thumbs Up

Post #111793216th Jun 2013 5:52 am
Lid

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Hobgoblin wrote:
Which side of the trailer do you normally carry him on Question We had a horse that was a nightmare to travel on the right hand side but was fine on the left, or if he is on his own take the partitions out, ours was no problem when travelling on his own with the partitions removed.

We tried the right side. I am a bit dubious about trying the left because if he damages that side, I'll have more repairs and maybe more injuries. However I have bought two full width breast/breech bars, so we are going to try without the partition when he is recovered.

Post #111795416th Jun 2013 8:28 am
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Sorry to go off topic and not teaching you to suck eggs with it but when you put the horse in without the partition make sure you tie his head via the head collar to both sides of the trailer with enough slack so he can eat and see etc but not turn around.... That's when you'll have more problems... It really does work and ours now travels perfectly in the middle of the trailer albeit with splayed legs ....... You won't believe the difference... Daft question is your horse of Irish descent? They seem to trailer them without bars and this maybe is where he picked up his weird habit?.

Post #111798916th Jun 2013 10:17 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >