DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Sinking Suspension
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Skep

Location: between Sheffield, Chesterfield, Worksop and Mansfield

United Kingdom 
Sinking Suspension

Before christmas I had to have a new gear box fitted under warrenty, since then every night the suspension sinks down, sometimes to the stops and sometimes just a bit. LR have had the car for a total of 4 days and can not find the fault, and its still doing it.
There are no warning lights and sometimes it doesnt even sink atall, especially when its at the dealer.
Today they have done a software upgrade which should solve the problem, but after 4 hours the front has started going down already.
Has anyone else had similar problems so I may be able to point them in the right direction. Its no detrement to the vehicle as it stays up when its running, but its just so irritating because it shouldnt do it!! Sad

Skep
 '16 Volvo XC90 R Design Bursting Blue (Vera)
'12 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Fuji White (Daz - Gone Sad
'10 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black (Vinnie - Gone)
'07 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 SE Stornoway Grey (Gone)
Club Side Skeps 

Post #62211116th Mar 2010 10:42 pm
Q86ARR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Manual Bali BlueDiscovery 4

Park it up at standard ride height. Disconnect the battery and see what happens. If it only sinks on one corner then that will be the corner causing the issues. The self levelling suspension wakes up every so often and lowers the car to the lowest corner.

Post #62214016th Mar 2010 11:28 pm
evo8

Slovakia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 S Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Hi Skep - I am having exactly the same symptoms - the dealer was looking at it - not able to find any leak. They've sent description of the problem to LR - now waiting for further instructions. I will share when this will be solved.
 2013 D4 TDV6 S; Baltic Blue; IID Tool BT
2007 D3 TDV6 SE, Auto; club Faultmate MSV2 

Post #62216317th Mar 2010 12:07 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
evo8

the new instructions from LR England are: it should be tested as follows - I should put the car in extended mode; disconnect the battery and observe the sinking overnight and report the result back to local technicians.

I thought that this was the first thing that they did when they tried to understand what is the reason - leak or some electrical problem..... I am very disappointed with the level of their knowledge. Big Cry

My warranty runs out in 10 days - but at least the problem is logged with them so they cannot excuse themselves if it runs out and they are not able to solve the problem by that time. Hopefully all replacement will still be covered by warranty.

Post #62249117th Mar 2010 7:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Q86ARR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Manual Bali BlueDiscovery 4

Car should be left at standard height. Changing to access or off-road could close up any holes in the airbags.

Post #62253417th Mar 2010 8:24 pm
Skep

United Kingdom 

Q86ARR wrote:
Disconnect the battery and see what happens.

If i disconnect the battery i wont be able to lock the car will I? Dont fancy leaving it on the drive overnight unlocked!

evo8 wrote:
the new instructions from LR England are:

I assume this is what happened at the dealers, when i picked it up it from the dealer it was parked in off road height
My warrenty is also up on Monday but have paid for the extended, so if anything fails they can sort it out.

Thanks for the advice guys, looks like i'm going to have to put up with it, see if the problem develops, although after posting the first message last night (after being parked for 4 hours had dropped half way) i went and started it up and levelled the suspension out, the other 12 hours last night it never moved an inch! Rolling Eyes
Club Side Skeps 

Post #62253517th Mar 2010 8:24 pm
SamR

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have the same problem, front goes down overnight and if you leave it 2 days the back goes down aswell. It's like it's deflating. The dealer couldn't find any fault so took it in overnight. They then diagnosed a pinhole leak in the front left airbag and replace it. However, it's still going down. Back to the dealer on Wednesday to see what else they can find. Crying or Very sad

Post #62507022nd Mar 2010 2:37 pm
Skep

United Kingdom 

Mine is back to going down overnight again! i even put it in off road height the other night to see if it made a difference, it did in a way, i woke up to find it looking like a wedge, the back in off road the front in access!
I'm bored of sending it to the dealer and my so looks like ill have to use my other solution....leave it in access height then it cant go down and bug me! (ill put it down as a quirk!) Whistle
If your dealer comes up with anything else SamR let us know, might be same problem on mine!

Skep
Club Side Skeps 

Post #62518922nd Mar 2010 5:16 pm
Bob.

United Kingdom 

My RRS suffered the front end droop symptom with the rear staying fully up although it took several days at normal height to go right down at the front. The cause was twofold. The front valve block was leaking air back into the system gallery which supplies air from the compressor and one of the front airbags had a small leak at the top.

Post #62539222nd Mar 2010 9:36 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Same problem here as well, been going on about 9 months now.
Had the compressor changed because the dealer said it was faulty. This diminished the problem but it was not gone.
Last december I had it diagnosed again because I was getting more and more 'suspension errors'. Dealer said the new compressor was faulty again and they have ordered a new one.
I have told them there is another problem because when the car is level, when I get a suspension error the 4x4 display says the right rear wheel is completely extended down. They have changed all height sensors but when they washed the car after service, the front went down already.

Yesterday morning I was standing next to the car with the engine running after having driven about 500 meters. Normally, the suspension is raised by then but now the compressor was still running, switched off and on again a few times in the 20 seconds I needed to get my gloves from the boot.

I have also pointed them to the valve blocks but they keep saying this cannot be the problem.

The car is back at the dealers now and they are checking all hoses, pipes, bellows for leaks. No news yet (only that the compressor has not been changed).

Apparently, the ECU reads this problem like a faulty compressor whereas the problem is something else.

I'll report back here if any news.

regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #62606123rd Mar 2010 8:07 pm
wvlenthe

(for earlier story see here)

Got the car back from the dealer today, not completely fixed.
After exchanging the height sensors and fixing a leak, the car has remained in a normal position for 24 hours, then it sank again. After this, the whole thing was re-examined and they found another leak in the suspension system.

Last thing discovered is that the valve block that is located near the compressor is letting air flow back to the compressor (which it shouldn't). This valve block is now on order and will be bolted on next Monday.

Nice touch: Last week I got a FL2 HSE commercial courtesy car. While making the appointment for this week, I mentioned that I need to transport all 3 kids this week and can't do with the FL. So I got a D3 HSE as a courtesy car from Monday to Thursday. It was a TDV6, first time I drove the diesel version, nice experience.

Thumbs Up to the dealer; all this still under dealer warranty, although this has expired since last July, but the problem had already been mentioned then. A total of 1 new compressor, 2nd ordered, height sensors replaced and I think about 8-10 days of greasemonkey time all under dealer warranty on a 2004 vehicle bought in 2008. I have received a courtesy car FOC every time. Thumbs Up De Koning Landrover in Arnhem Thumbs Up
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #62741925th Mar 2010 9:15 pm
evo8

evo8 wrote:
the new instructions from LR England are: it should be tested as follows - I should put the car in extended mode; disconnect the battery and observe the sinking overnight and report the result back to local technicians.

Problem solved - front valve block replaced under warranty.

Post #62940930th Mar 2010 8:25 am
wvlenthe

Brought my car to the dealer again yesterday for changing the valve block.
Called them today to hear whether they had it fixed. They said they did and the car had been standing in offroad height for several hours, so I could come and pick it up.

When I got there, two people and a test computer were around... the people were staring utterly surprised at the screen of the test computer.

The engine was running (at first I didn't even notice, that is how smooth the V8 runs), the car was in standard height. It would reach normal height, compressor shuts down, car lowers in about a minute to 1.5 cm under level, compressor kicks in, car goes up to normal height, over and over again.

One would say there's quite a big leak somewhere but the odd thing is it had been standing there for all those hours before.

So I took the loaner D3 TDV6 with me again. The dealer is going to pressurize the bellows to see if they have a leak.

Because they 'don't trust it' the dealer has changed the compressor which they already had ordered for my car.

Thumbs Up to the dealer, I hope they get it fixed Laughing

regards,

Wiljo
Post #62965530th Mar 2010 7:20 pm
wvlenthe

Went to collect the car today.
Rear valve block has been replaced and the dealer thinks the problem is not fixed.
They have ordered the front valve block too but it is on backorder.
In the mean time they asked me to monitor if the sinking still occurs.

regards,

Wiljo
Post #6308111st Apr 2010 8:02 pm
disco_doozle

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Same problem with mine and the back suspension.
She sinks overnight at the back and more at the left side (when standing behind) then right.
She had to go in for changing the ball joints and I pointed out this issue.
No sensor faults....no leaks they say,...they cleaned the leads on the rear valveblock.....Still does it Confused

So could it be a faulty valve-block also?
Is this a expensive part?
Can it be done yourself or better not touch it ...?

Grtz
 Disco 3 TDV6 Aut. 7 seat, Zambezi silver, Privacy glass, Rosen A9 DVD, Tow-kit, K&N airfilter, Frontrunner Windcheetah + 4xHella Comet 550, tailgate ladder, 5 breaklights Smile, Performance BB6 17" + Duratracs 256/70R17, RLD Skid-plate, Traxide second battery setup, Lightguards, BAS EGR's blank kit, BAS Silicone hose, Black bonnet decal,  
Post #6315303rd Apr 2010 5:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >