DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Skiing in Scotland
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
pwheeldon

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Skiing in Scotland

Hi,

We are hoping to go to France in Feb on a ski trip, but it's looking like we may not be able to as my wife is worried about the ferry crossing. The next option would be to go to Scotland and I wondered if anyone had any feedback on skiing in Scotland. It'd be one beginner skier and 3 intermediate snowboarders. I'd obviously prefer to get to the Alps, but if it's not an option then I'm hoping Scotland would at least be an option.
Cheers
 Discovery 4 GS 2009 Auto Stornoway Grey
Discovery 3 s 2005 Auto Bonatti Grey Gone
Discovery 3 SE 2005 Manual Zambezi Silver Gone
Range Rover Sport HSE 2006 Black
Aston Martin DB7 VV 

Post #232236312th Jan 2023 12:14 am
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Where to start!?

Probably by stating that even though I live less than 2 hrs from both the Glencoe and Fort William ski centres, and have skied for more than 40 years, I will be making the 2,500 mile round trip (driving) this February to go skiing in the Alps Laughing

Any skking in Sotland is highly weather dependant - sadly the days of predictable conditions came to an end at the back end of the 1980s, as did the convoys of Audi Quattros thrashing up and down the A9 each weekend with their skis on the roof, just when I started doing snow surveys in the western Cairngorms for three winters! As a result - you could have a superb week of skiing, but the likelihood (I'd say around 80% or more) is that the weather will be 5h1te and, unless everyone is already an enthusiastic skier, there is a significant risk that you will put them off for life. (Believe it or not I have also previously worked promoting Scotland as a tourist destination!)

Plus points:
Varied terrain and conditions
Can be breathtaking when the weather and snow is right - either the west side of Glencoe or the Nevis Range can involve skiing/boarding whilst looking out over the sea;
Any skiers will quickly become experts at skiing on one foot as they get used to avoiding rocks/heather sticking up from the snow
Depending on the weather, they are also likely to become proficient at skiing on their edges on ice, and side-slipping.
Similarly, tight turns will also become second nature as you struggle to stay between the snow fences
Relatively cheap
Everyone speaks a similar language
The various ski areas are a relatively short distance from each other - Glencoe to FW is about an hour, FW to Cairngorm is maybe 1 1/2, Cairngorm to the Lecht is maybe an hour and the Lecht to Glenshee perhaps a little bit more. You could thereforemake a mini-expedition of it and explore/try number of the areas in a week.

Downsides
Weather
Will there definitely be anything open after the recent deluge of rain - Glenshee is currently saying manmade snow only?
Many centres will close the lifts if it gets too windy, even if there has been a big dump of snow (as with Glencoe today) - lifts will often close at short notice
It is a very different 'kind of cold' - the Alps usually feels cold but dry, whereas Scotland can be a penetrating, wet cold that gets into the core;
All ski areas are relatively limited in their extent and, after a couple of days, can become a bit monotonous.
Variable quality of ski school.

Nevis Range - exposed to westerlies but is high with a decent gondala and some good runs. PLenty to do when the weather is crap
Glencoe - my favourite, but is a long way from relative civilisation if you are skiing there for more than a few days. It does have slopes which are relatively sheltered from the prevailing winds though.
Cairngorm - the oldest area, for a reason, and usually the most snow secure. Aviemore and Carrbridge have a wide range of accommodation options and, like FW, plenty to do if the weather is crap. The carrot cake at Insch Lodge used to be legendary - they also had a small dry-slope for beginners there too, though that may be gone by now.
Lecht - popular with those who live in the NE (of Scotland), families and beginners, but limited offering
Glenshee - relatively easy to get to, with decent range of slopes - but some of them are quite hairy!

I think that if I were you I'd be watching the website of (say) Glencoe (my personal favourite), Glenshee, Nevis Range and Cairngorm to see how things evolve over the next week or so. The west has had snow recently, less so in the east, but the situation can change very rapidly. I would also be working very hard to persuade SWMBO to try the ferry or Chunnel, or even for her to fly to Geneva and for you to collect her there!
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE, 2013 MY D4 HSE and 2016 D4 SE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #232237112th Jan 2023 1:25 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

A friend did London to Geneva by train in less than 7 hours a few weeks ago. Eurostar to Paris and fast train to Geneva.

One option to consider for your wife maybe. Thumbs Up
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #232237312th Jan 2023 1:43 am
pwheeldon

waterbuoy wrote:
Where to start!?

Probably by stating that even though I live less than 2 hrs from both the Glencoe and Fort William ski centres, and have skied for more than 40 years, I will be making the 2,500 mile round trip (driving) this February to go skiing in the Alps Laughing

Any skking in Sotland is highly weather dependant - sadly the days of predictable conditions came to an end at the back end of the 1980s, as did the convoys of Audi Quattros thrashing up and down the A9 each weekend with their skis on the roof, just when I started doing snow surveys in the western Cairngorms for three winters! As a result - you could have a superb week of skiing, but the likelihood (I'd say around 80% or more) is that the weather will be 5h1te and, unless everyone is already an enthusiastic skier, there is a significant risk that you will put them off for life. (Believe it or not I have also previously worked promoting Scotland as a tourist destination!)

Plus points:
Varied terrain and conditions
Can be breathtaking when the weather and snow is right - either the west side of Glencoe or the Nevis Range can involve skiing/boarding whilst looking out over the sea;
Any skiers will quickly become experts at skiing on one foot as they get used to avoiding rocks/heather sticking up from the snow
Depending on the weather, they are also likely to become proficient at skiing on their edges on ice, and side-slipping.
Similarly, tight turns will also become second nature as you struggle to stay between the snow fences
Relatively cheap
Everyone speaks a similar language
The various ski areas are a relatively short distance from each other - Glencoe to FW is about an hour, FW to Cairngorm is maybe 1 1/2, Cairngorm to the Lecht is maybe an hour and the Lecht to Glenshee perhaps a little bit more. You could thereforemake a mini-expedition of it and explore/try number of the areas in a week.

Downsides
Weather
Will there definitely be anything open after the recent deluge of rain - Glenshee is currently saying manmade snow only?
Many centres will close the lifts if it gets too windy, even if there has been a big dump of snow (as with Glencoe today) - lifts will often close at short notice
It is a very different 'kind of cold' - the Alps usually feels cold but dry, whereas Scotland can be a penetrating, wet cold that gets into the core;
All ski areas are relatively limited in their extent and, after a couple of days, can become a bit monotonous.
Variable quality of ski school.

Nevis Range - exposed to westerlies but is high with a decent gondala and some good runs. PLenty to do when the weather is crap
Glencoe - my favourite, but is a long way from relative civilisation if you are skiing there for more than a few days. It does have slopes which are relatively sheltered from the prevailing winds though.
Cairngorm - the oldest area, for a reason, and usually the most snow secure. Aviemore and Carrbridge have a wide range of accommodation options and, like FW, plenty to do if the weather is crap. The carrot cake at Insch Lodge used to be legendary - they also had a small dry-slope for beginners there too, though that may be gone by now.
Lecht - popular with those who live in the NE (of Scotland), families and beginners, but limited offering
Glenshee - relatively easy to get to, with decent range of slopes - but some of them are quite hairy!

I think that if I were you I'd be watching the website of (say) Glencoe (my personal favourite), Glenshee, Nevis Range and Cairngorm to see how things evolve over the next week or so. The west has had snow recently, less so in the east, but the situation can change very rapidly. I would also be working very hard to persuade SWMBO to try the ferry or Chunnel, or even for her to fly to Geneva and for you to collect her there!

Thank you for the very detailed review, which more or less backs up what I was expecting! I am REALLY hoping that we get over the water, but it may be a case of better than nothing!

I am doing everything I can to get her on the ferry, the train and or planes are a no chance unfortunately. She suffers from panick attacks and travel is a big trigger especially in scenarios where she can't leave I.e. planes, trains and ferries! I'll keep hoping and working on her so fingers crossed and thanks again.
Aston Martin DB7 VV 

Post #232237512th Jan 2023 2:29 am
pwheeldon

LT wrote:
A friend did London to Geneva by train in less than 7 hours a few weeks ago. Eurostar to Paris and fast train to Geneva.

As I said above its nigh on impossible to get on any means of transport where she can't leave, I am working on it though and the Chunnel may actually be something worth investigating. Thanks
Aston Martin DB7 VV 

Post #232237612th Jan 2023 2:31 am
waterbuoy

I feel your pain - my SIL is the same and the only way she is able to tavel is through serious sedatives and/or alcohol.
Previously:
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
110 V8 CSW (220k)

Post #232237712th Jan 2023 2:51 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I’ve skied Cairngorm and Lecht many times. I echo what’s said. I used to work at RAF Kinloss in the late 1980’s, and we used to go every weekend in January/February and skied a lot. The wind can be fierce- I remember once get blown back up the White lady run by a headwind. When the snow is deep and the sun is out it’s an amazing place.

To be honest, I’m deciding now whether to book a ski trip to the Alps, but wavering because of lack of snow there! I might just keep the ski gear ready to go and jump in the car and head north instead, at short notice if conditions are forecast favourable.

Post #232237912th Jan 2023 8:17 am
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

If you do go to the Lecht, don't be expecting any long runs! last time I was there the queue to get the first lift at Whistler was longer than most of the runs at the Lecht Laughing

Also brush up on your pommel skills otherwise you're in for a bruising day !

Otherwise I echo what's already been said and the views from the mountains n a good day just can't be beaten..

I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #232239212th Jan 2023 10:19 am
KenR

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

I echo waterboy. I was once stood at the top of the White Lady looking apprehensive when a chap came up and asked if l was in trouble, “No” l replied “l am just trying to work out a route that will do the least damage to my skis”. That’s skiing in Scotland

Post #232239812th Jan 2023 10:51 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Oh and you need to look out for the winter midge 🦟, they’re much hardier than the weedy summer variant.

They’re white, so can be hard to spot against a backdrop of snow ……
but these wee blighters can nip through anything!!! Shocked

But pre-ski, if you rub yourself over with whisky, that helps to deter them.

Confused
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #232240412th Jan 2023 11:42 am
waterbuoy

A further morning thought:

If your wife suffers from panic attacks when 'trapped' whilst travelling, how does she react when/if in a gondola or cable-car? That might have an influence on which areas are more suitable than others if you do manage to head south.
Previously:
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
110 V8 CSW (220k)

Post #232240512th Jan 2023 12:06 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

pwheeldon wrote:
LT wrote:

As I said above its nigh on impossible to get on any means of transport where she can't leave, I am working on it though and the Chunnel may actually be something worth investigating. Thanks

Probably not for this thread, but that can be seriously debilitating, and is likely to get worse as the years pass if not addressed.

There will likely be a single event at some point in her life that has resulted in this specific anxiety, and it's likely well hidden in the back of her mind in a room marked "don't go in there". It needs to be addressed or it could manifest at the most inopportune moment. I had a similar issue with getting trapped under water, had no idea what the cause was, and it was really putting a stop on my kayaking (I was training as an instructor and a particular class of kayak had me a gibbering wreck due to the way you sit in them). After a hypnosis session turned out I had got stuck under a lilo in a pool as a very young child. Once we understood where the absolutely paralysing fear came from, I was able to address it.

Fingers crossed - the Alps are 1,000,000 times more varied and user friendly than Scotland for skiing!
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #232240612th Jan 2023 12:16 pm
pwheeldon

Thanks to everyone for the input. I have reserved a cottage in Scotland through Airbnb that can be cancelled up to 10th and hotel rooms in Les Deux Alps which can be cancelled up to the 8th, so at least we have a couple of options.

Lifts and gondolas aren't great either TBH, but they're only short usually so usually manage to get through them. The fear started after we had kids, before that there was no issue with travelling, so that's something else to blame them for!

Thanks again and I'll let you know how we get on!
Aston Martin DB7 VV 

Post #232241512th Jan 2023 2:16 pm
Dexter

Scotland 

I learnt to ski in Scotland in the 70s and had many, many enjoyable days at Glenshee, Lecht and Cairngorm over the years.

Then I went abroad and thought I’d discovered a new sport 🤣

If you end up in Scotland it will be totally weather dependant, can be glorious or miserable. I’d suggest hiring skis as there will be narrow runs, rocks and heather to contend with.

Post #232242512th Jan 2023 3:20 pm
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Late to the party but this arrived in my inbox earlier today.

May help..

https://www.visitscotland.com/holidays-bre...PHvnoLlPjA

Thumbs Up
 Jim

2014 Discovery 4 XXV SDV6 Causeway Grey
2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux SDV6 Loire Blue - now gone 

Post #232242812th Jan 2023 3:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >