Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Sleeping in a commercial D3 for 2 weeks...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Bump

United Kingdom 

JDB wrote:
Bump wrote:
Also, any suggestions for Jerry can storage which isn't inside the vehicle or on the roof?! (thinking i'll probably end up with a roof rack, but, someone might have a cunning suggestion!)

I am currently looking at putting one or two tanks under the commercial load floor - you can get one 100l tank in if needed. It keeps the weight low and secure.
I am off in May and have built a spares pack up - I suppose I could "hire" it out on sales or return!
Ref sleeping - I would leave the lower half of the bulkhead in and use it as the support for yor platform if you went down that route.
I will be taking a roof tent though to Morocco.

What spares are you taking? I was thinking someone should do sale or return packs!

I think there is also a business for hiring out roof tents as a lot of people only use them for one or two trips, but, that's probably not for this thread!

The support for the lower bulkhead also supports the upper part, so, if i took the upper out i'd have the metal poles just sticking up in the air...?

How much is the fuel tank costing? I expect it will be cheaper for us to just take jerry cans as i can't see the wife being keen on doing many of these trips Crying or Very sad

Post #103595816th Jan 2013 1:21 pm
JDB

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Spares List - do a search - loads of discussion on this - how many/much depends on your risk tolerance....

ref bulkhead - take the support arms out - leaves it self supporting/bolted to deck.

Ref tank - 1xlarge tank is approx £90 smaller are £45 ea or so. Fuel cans will need securing - so make/buy something.

Fridge - bigger = better - after all you can't fit much in the cubby one.......

Post #103598216th Jan 2013 2:15 pm
ZacSmith

United Kingdom 

I suspect you could buy a roof tent and sell it without much loss if you are only going to use it for 2 weeks?
 VIN: A175A328***  
Post #103600716th Jan 2013 3:01 pm
Bump

United Kingdom 

JDB wrote:
Spares List - do a search - loads of discussion on this - how many/much depends on your risk tolerance....

ref bulkhead - take the support arms out - leaves it self supporting/bolted to deck.

Ref tank - 1xlarge tank is approx £90 smaller are £45 ea or so. Fuel cans will need securing - so make/buy something.

Fridge - bigger = better - after all you can't fit much in the cubby one.......

Thanks, i'll go back to the Search facility Smile

£90 for a tank isn't bad, found one on D4x4 i think at £450 for an additional tank Shocked

Post #103601616th Jan 2013 3:25 pm
hotrocks

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

We didnt want to spend a fortune on a roof tent a about 4 years ago as we would not use it that much.

As a result we took a chance and purchased one of these witht he porch area and the pull out awning.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-TOP-TENT-CAR...5ae5175524

We have not been disappointed for what we paid (ours was slightly cheaper back then) and we have mainly used it in very cold, windy and below 0 Degree as we travel down to the Pyrenees during the ski season.

Although I am sure it is not as well made as some of the more popular makes, it has stood the abuse well, including a VERY windy overnight in France when I honestly thought the D3 was going to get blown over!

There was no damage to the tent and we lived until the morning.

The only issue we have had is I had to get a new cover made by a local marquee company as the freezing temps made the original one too stiff and eventually split the corners.

Guess that won't really be a problem where you are heading Smile

Post #103603216th Jan 2013 3:47 pm
Bump

United Kingdom 

Unnecessary quote removed

Thanks, that sounds like a good tent for the money Smile

Post #103605016th Jan 2013 4:12 pm
christophe

Luxembourg 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4
Re: Sleeping in a commercial D3 for 2 weeks...

Bump wrote:
We're taking our D3 Commercial to Morocco in September / October and the current plan is to sleep in the back (build a platform so there is storage space underneath then sleeping on the platform)

Has anyone tried this before? Is it going to be hell and will my wife, who it has taken a year of persuading that this is a good idea, end up killing me half way round Morocco?

We don't want to sleep in a floor tent as we have heard of issues with this in Morocco and roof tents seem far too expensive (we've got a trailer tent for European holiday's, so, won't get much other use from it)

I would look at removing the bulkhead to give a bit of extra length (i'm over 6ft) and also to make it easy to get to the front and drive if (in the very unlikely circumstances) something goes wrong.

What do you mean by "We don't want to sleep in a floor tent as we have heard of issues with this in Morocco "? Do you mean issues with snakes, scorpions,... If that is what you mean I guess there should not be any trouble if you pay attention of not leaving your tent open when not attended, check it carefuly before sleeping in and pay attention where you erect it! I also had the dilema roof/floor tent for Morocco but finally chose the OZ tent option. I hope I will not regret. Anyway with wife and 2 kids I did not see us all in a roof tent (not possible to stand up, what happens when the kid needs to pee at night,...). It seems there are plenty of Australians using OZ tents and being very satisfied with it. They have also plenty of dangerous little animals over there...
Anyway, up to you! Thumbs Up

Regarding sleeping in the car, indeed not possible due to heat. Tried it in Morocco and finished the night sleeping outside on a matress with not even a tent over my head, just the stars.

Enjoy the trip, it is a great country with great people!

Post #105431813th Feb 2013 8:54 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I've slept in a Quecha pop-up tent in the Moroccan desert a few times...aside from sandstorms there were no issues. The wildlife encountered included a desert mouse and a few beetles which slept under the tent. Another in our group had a Camel Spider in their Toilet tent ..we found out that both the spider and the group member could run like the clappers Laughing
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #105432313th Feb 2013 9:17 am
mooro47

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Floor tent in Morocco

We spent two weeks in Morocco, 8 of those nights in a floor tent without any problem although we did opt fot the Auberge in Erg Chebbe after the sandstorm flattened it a it filled up with sand Confused Otherwise all good. Great country, breathtaking scenery great off road driving. What's not to like? It was chuffing hot though and we went in September. Not sure I'd want to sleep in the Disco. Have fun Thumbs Up

Post #106361527th Feb 2013 9:11 pm
iwannadisco4

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Bump wrote:
Click image to enlarge

ive just looked in the manual... it's the ECON button isn't it...

Well that's a pleasant surprise : Very Happy

Wonder what other features I have i've not realised? (only had it a week and used to much older, simpler Land Rover's)

Rolling with laughter

i have read on other threads that some had recently discovered cubby boxes at the back; i mention this because i only found secret cubby boxes in the front doors of my ford galaxy after owning it for 8 years Embarassed so I will be sure to explore by new DS4 on or about 5 march :D

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #106365327th Feb 2013 10:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >