Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

A slightly different wheel problem.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
bushbasher

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
A slightly different wheel problem.

Hello, I need to match my camper trailer wheels so that my camper and D3 run the same wheel and tyre combination. The problem I have, is the centre bore of the wheel is not big enough to accommodate the axle/bearing assembly of the trailer.
The centre bore of the alloys fitted is 63.5mm but I need 70mm to accommodate the axle. I currently run with the 18 inch rims but cannot find any wheels suitable either in 18 or 17 inch which will fit.
Does anyone have any suggestions of who I can try. Steel rims are scarce for the D3 and all the alloys I have looked at do not have the required bore size. HELP
Help
Tony
 ARB winch bullbar,Kaymar rear carrier refitted properly the second time,jerry can holder and spare wheel holder,roof rails,side steps and door mouldings.Rear cargo barrier,Mitchell brothers tow bar,optima dual battery system.  
Post #4747091st Jun 2009 8:02 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Have you tried dynamic for 17" steel wheels?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #4747231st Jun 2009 8:56 am
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I think you will have a problem as the centre bore off the Alloy is to center the rim on the D3 so the nuts are only to keep the rim to the car and do not carry the weight.
The only way to be able to use a spare on the D3 and a trailer is probably to find another axle for your trailer. Assuming that why you ask.
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #4747451st Jun 2009 9:53 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I had the same sort of problem Tony, with the 16" Landcruiser rims on my Bushtracker van. As there were no hubs that were of a suitable size for the D3 rims, I opted for purchasing Dynamic 17" steel rims (LC 6 stud bolt pattern) but with the intention of carrying equipment to remove a tyre from a rim as necessary and pump it back up (I carry one spare 17" alloy on the D3 and 2x spare 17"s on the van.)) In essence, I have 3x spare tyres that can be fitted to either the car or van as necessary.

But until a manufacturer (Vehicle Components, et al) makes a different hub to suit D3 pattern rims, we have to compromise.
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #4750682nd Jun 2009 4:11 am
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I found this out the hard way when my friendly trailer manufacturer tightened on the wheels, which caused the wheel centre hole to be extruded out, and a few cracks in the edge of the wheel Evil or Very Mad . Fortunately caught it in time and had the centre holes drilled out before the cracks propogated. Now my 19" original wheels can't take the LR insert but no other damage. The trailer had been specified by me to specifically take the wheels and have the same track width, but guess the job went to the lowest bidder. The solution I found that worked okay was to acquire a worn set of brake disks from a dealer (a case of beer to the mechanic it cost me), and use the disks as a spacer for the wheels. I've ultimately had the brake disks milled down to spacers, so I suppose a set of spacers would work. It's certainly better than punching out the centre hole of your wheels.
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #4750712nd Jun 2009 5:10 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I went the route of boring out the wheel centres seeing as the trailer axle had been done to the full width required, plus I didn't want the extra unsprung mass of spacers. The D3 hub does not use the centre hole at all, so no issues except for the LR logo caps, which I attached with silicon. They are easy to push out if i need to swop a wheel to the trailer. On the trailer the bearing cap protrudes beyond the rim by about 10mm so no caps on there, but looks ok IMO. See gallery

Make sure if you are boring out the wheel centres that they are in fact centred - otherwise you will have a bit of bother with balancing them

Post #4750752nd Jun 2009 6:11 am
bushbasher

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks guys, I had not heard of Dynamic wheels before, but I have looked on their site and have found the wheels required. I will buy 8 wheels and some decent tyres and hopefully that will be sorted. I will keep the 18in wheels for cruising around town and the steels for the trips that I have planned.
Thanks for the advice, as always, top class. Thumbs Up
 ARB winch bullbar,Kaymar rear carrier refitted properly the second time,jerry can holder and spare wheel holder,roof rails,side steps and door mouldings.Rear cargo barrier,Mitchell brothers tow bar,optima dual battery system.  
Post #4769815th Jun 2009 11:14 pm
TDV6

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

G'day Tony,

I have 6 silver steel wheels on order from Dynamic at 17x8" not the 17x7's on their website, http://www.dynamictyres.com.au/html/s02_ar...amp;dsb=79

King wheels also make a 17x8 for the D3 but I had difficulty getting anything from them so went with Dynamic.

One thing you will need is wheel nuts for the steel rims, what you need is 14mm by 1.5 twist nuts (14x1.5 as they are called), Toyota have these as do Holden. I think the VT onwards has 14x1.5 steel wheel nuts.

Centre caps are another thing, I am told they wont be a problem to get but we have to wait till the rims turn up to see what fits.

Quoted costs in SE Qld are 125 for Dynamics and an extra $20 for King's

Hope this helps,

Ryall

Post #4770646th Jun 2009 10:25 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >