Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Slow Progress with Problem List!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Ecosse

Slow Progress with Problem List!

Car been in since yesterday morning with a list of a dozen faults - at least I have a Disco 3 loan car (although only an oddly low-spec'd "S" model). By this afternoon all they could tell me was that they were away to fit a replacement tow bar electrical loom. On being asked for a progress report on the other issues I was told they were having a "management meeting" tonight to decide how to deal with them!! Rather sounds as if they are struggling, but they have promised an update tomorrow.
(The problems outstanding are: Doors misaligned, unattached battery cover, non-adjusting headrests, gear selected not displayed, low fuel POI's not self-cancelling, altimeter error, whole infotaoinment system crashing, fuel computer & range read out inaccurate, no control of engine fuel burner, fuel burner light on dash no working, cabin pre-heater controls not working, poor fuel consumption (17.7mpg), front PDC not activating; no engine braking, noise & loss of power on cold start)
Will post on progress, especially regarding the fuel burning heater issue. LR Cust Services are monitoring the progress & providing technical support so this will be quite telling on the ability of the manufacturer to maiintain/repair the Disco3 Crying or Very sad

Post #76916th Feb 2005 4:57 pm
Outrageous

Re: Slow Progress with Problem List!

Ecosse wrote:
The problems outstanding are: Doors misaligned...

Could you elaborate on this? When I examined a number of Disco3's on a dealer's lot, all the doors seemed to be set a bit inboard of the other side panels.

Post #77116th Feb 2005 6:37 pm
Ecosse

Hi - yes, on the passenger (left side) the door "shut" lines are absolutely level (as you would expect) with the adjacent panels ie the front wing, rear quarter etc & the plastic lower strip of the doors are in line with each other. However on the driver side (right - remember this is a UK RHD car), the first thing you notice is that the plastic strip that firms the very bottom of the doors is not in line - the front door's protrudes perhaps 5mm out from the level of the rear door's. Then it becomes obvious that what is out is that at the top the doors are properly alligned, but at the bottom they are out from the correct level of panels (front is out both at its leading & trailing edge, while the rear door is out at the trailing edge). Certainly not intended to be that way & rather suprisig that it got through any form of QC, but I suppose I am comparing it with quality European (German)manufacturers vehicles.

Post #77316th Feb 2005 9:39 pm
DiscoMad

Hi Ecosse,

Intrigued with the headrests. Mine are clearly not adjustable and seem to have been desgned that way. how do you want them to respond ?

Post #77616th Feb 2005 9:49 pm
Ecosse

That may be the explanation (ie that they don't adjust!), but even the dealer did not seem to know that & I did not want to put pressure on the headrests to find out. The Disco II headrests also didn't look as if they adjusted but would move up a couple of inches to make them beter positioned.
I take it from the fact that you hae also tried to adjust them, that you were also expecting them to move?
The headrests though are minor (although IMHO a design shortfall, as indeed I feel the pedal positions are on the auto) and my main problems are with the electrical/computer related items.

Post #77816th Feb 2005 10:10 pm
DiscoMad

Yes i wanted them to adjust (to fit a dvd screen system bracket)
My HSE has a similar list to yours !! (of course)

Post #78016th Feb 2005 10:15 pm
ironx68

Pittsburgh, PA LR3 HSE

Also, have similar problem list. Navigation system crashed 1st 3 days. Rear latch was not attached and rattled around. Dealership obviously saw problem before. Doors are not well balanced. Handling is best ever in suv. Comfortable @ 100mph . Also, curious about head rests.

Post #80818th Feb 2005 5:01 am
Ecosse

Latest reason I have been given for the infotainment system crash is that it "was not taken out of Transport Mode in the correct sequence" !! So they have reset i, taking it out of transport mode in the correct order this time. We will wait & see!!!!

Post #81818th Feb 2005 1:57 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Now thats the reason they gave me for the Suspension failure!! I see a common theme emerging here. "Don't know the answer, so lets blame the PDI team"

Post #82018th Feb 2005 3:08 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4
PDI Manual

If anyone is interested, I have a PDF version of the PDI manual which anyone is welcome to have.

I would suggest that the "excuse" given is a cop out!

Post #82218th Feb 2005 4:36 pm
Ecosse

Well despite my fbh working (as long as the radio is on!), this is the response LR CS have given me which they say is from the "Lead Engineer":-

" this feature gives the impression it can be used as it can be programmed on screen and the light on the dash will come on at the programmed time - however, the heater is not working and will not work, despite the light and perceived programmability. This feature has been removed and will not be installed until at least 2009 model year."

Now while I know it works (but with poor functionality) it seems that the Discovery Lead Engineer doesn't - well, that really inspires confidence Wink .

The gear selected number, altimeter, front pdc and cold start idle/roar issues are also back to them after unsatisfactory answers from the "lead engineer". Will post as progress is made.

Post #90121st Feb 2005 1:32 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Ah! I think I'm getting the picture now. You have a response saying it is not intended to work, I got a response asking me to tell them exactly how I made it work!

2009 model year seems a long way off, I would expect Disco 4 to be on the starting blocks by then!

Post #90321st Feb 2005 1:40 pm
Ecosse

Gareth - yes mind you I don't think I had mentioned to them beforehand that I could get it to work using the "fix"!!, but surely the "lead engineer" on a project would know the workings of his product. But if they want to dig themselves into a hole on this issue then so be it!!
The fact that it works but just has a fault certainly leaves them in a difficult position as they can't fall back to their standard excuse of "this has been omitted from the vehicle, please refer to page 2 of owners handbook - Land Rover operates a policy of constant product improvement and therefore reserves the right to change specifications without notice at any time" - which they are using for the lack of selected gear information on teh 4x4 screen - but again there they are trying to use a clause that is provided to allow for "product improvement" & the omission of a feature can not be said to be an "improvement"!! Wink

Post #90421st Feb 2005 1:47 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

This is beginning to look like ineptitude. I think the time is very close for a detailed letter to LR highly paid help - the "it isn't intended to work/tell us how you made it work" balanced against the fact that this morning it worked alone, with the main engine not running, and details of all the other problems too.

The term "lead engineer" could be in the same class as "customer service executive" (in other words, call centre phone answering waller). Coupled with the issue of why put all the instructions in a manual for something that isn't going to be fitted to a vehicle until the 2009 MY.

Shambles.......plus ca change?!

Post #90521st Feb 2005 1:49 pm
Ecosse

My past experience is that it can take LR many week sto reply to a letter (if they do actually reply), hence I am sticking to e-mail as at least the CS rep I am dealing with is having the courtesy to reply quite promptly. I have however now said that I want the issue escalated to someone who can resolve it and I have clearly flagged up the discrepancies between the "lead engineer"'s response and the actual situation with my vehicle.

BTW - Winger, if you go to Profiles to add in at least Country if not County, it helps to avoid us talking at cross purposes for vehicles outwith the UK Very Happy

Post #90721st Feb 2005 2:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >