Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Sluggish V8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
AJ198T

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Sluggish V8

My D3 V8 has lost it's perkiness. Not too bad at higher speeds/revs but not what it was and it often feels a bit lacklustre generally and at times even strangled. 6 months ago even a light touch on the accelerator would have the bonnet surging skywards but now it barely lifts even with a good stab of the pedal.

Thought new spark plugs (which were overdue when I acquired it) might cure it but nope. I've also tried cleaning MAF, throttle body, new air filter, can of BG44k thorugh a tank of premium fuel.

On first start up it sounds a bit chuggy and feels a bit lumpy if you give the throttle a blip, as if misfiring, but the revs aren't lumpy at tick over and as they rise on pressing the pedal further things smooth out. Revs go to 1100ish on first start up and then settle, which I believe is normal. There are no codes on the GAP tool, also no check engine light. Which I guess means coil pack issue is unlikely? I think there are some splits in the leads but I would have thought if this was causing an issue there'd be codes to read...

Any pointers appreciated.

Post #21599379th Jul 2020 12:48 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

didn't think these had HT leads
Coil on plug aren't they?

I'd be wondering about blocked CATs.
Could always remove one and inspect

Post #21599419th Jul 2020 12:58 pm
AJ198T

Cheers Pete K. Sorry yeah not HT leads, I mean the boots on the coils. Will have a look into the CATs...

Post #21599529th Jul 2020 1:15 pm
MintyHit

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I'd think about a compression test and/or a check of the valve clearances.

Post #21599699th Jul 2020 2:19 pm
AJ198T

Is there anything other than LPG which is a known issue on the jag engine and could impact compression or valves (and not throw codes)? As far as I know it's never had an LPG system fitted.

Post #21599719th Jul 2020 2:26 pm
Duc750

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Had an odd one on mine the other week - I was getting an intermittent code 0116 whihc is a coolant code.
Basically kicks the viscous in on full and limits the performance partially - its not an over heat code as such but a warning code that the two temp sensors it compares against get a an out of range change and so it basically craps itself and thinks its about to overheat even if it doesn't ever do so.
It resets itself after a prolonged shut down and I traced it back to a coolant airlock following the previous owners garage changing the thermostat housing and it not being fully bled.

long and the short i guess is its worth checking round the cooling circuit and seeing if your viscous is fully engaged when you don't expect it to be
 05 D3 V8 HSE, LR Passion tree bars, wildbear compressor guard, LRP switch panel, ARB rear locker + compressor, Trigger 6 shooter electrical system
12 RRS SDV6 HSE (Hers) - Gone and replaced with an I Pace - I can tell you now EV is not the future yet
Metalian Camper trailer 

Post #21599829th Jul 2020 3:25 pm
AJ198T

Well, I have noticed that sometimes on start up the viscous fan is roaring. It usually goes off fairly soon though, only once did it continue as I drove off and required a restart to disengage.

Sometimes lately I've also noticed what seems like engine braking if I come off the gas, which I hadn't noticed before but then when you're chasing a vague issue you can start to 'notice' all sorts of perfectly normal stuff.

It had the coolant changed at the last service and then last week a new radiator and T-piece fitted but the sluggishness was there before and persists after these jobs.

All the fault codes showing up relate only to the parking assist or BCM. Just back from the garage again and they couldn't find anything suspect. Did an emissions test and all spot on. He said to him it drove fine but he's not driven many so not much to compare with.

He did find a slightly binding rear brake but he said it's not enough to slow the car. And the front offside pads are wearing twice as fast as nearside (I mentioned I'd noticed more brake dust on driver's side but not experienced any uneven braking/pulling to one side but could he check it out). But brake issues wouldn't explain the chugging exhaust/slight lumpiness on first start up of the day (which couldn't be replicated while it was in the garage of course). he said he can do a compression test when it's in for brakes next week but that he'd have expected compression issue to show up some wonky emissions and not be intermittent either.

Oh and gearbox is smooth shifting, doesn't wander or hunt, and is judder free. So he said it's either throw scatter-gun parts at it without much to base the choice on, or put up with it until it maybe gets bad enough to be diagnosable.

Post #21599949th Jul 2020 4:31 pm
desv8

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

could be a coil breaking down. I was once told (not sure how true) that until the misfire count gets to certain level it wont through a management light on. With reference the engine brake symptoms this could be related to a binding brake. When you've been for a run if you check the hubs to see if one is warmer than others?

Post #21600899th Jul 2020 9:52 pm
AJ198T

Finally a fault code came up that may be relevant to the lack of power - P0327-00 knock sensor circuit low input (bank 1). Going to order a new sensor and hope that sorts it...

Post #216132416th Jul 2020 10:41 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >