Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

SNOW - No go for ANY Disco
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
JMC

Scotland 
SNOW - No go for ANY Disco

Took my dogs out for a walk today and tried to negotiate the B974 in Aberdeenshire. Check my gallery picture if you think that your D3 will still go anywhere!!!!

Post #456074th Mar 2006 6:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Just select DSC off for really deep snow, just remember to take a good breath before you duck your head down under the snow for the button.

Last edited by Robbie on 4th Mar 2006 7:43 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #456104th Mar 2006 7:23 pm
JMC

Scotland 

My guess is that what counts for 'really deep snow' in Wiltshire would still see me out on my motorbike here!!!

As for switching off DSC - I don't get my D3 for another 6 days yet...... Laughing

Post #456114th Mar 2006 7:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

JMC wrote:
My guess is that what counts for 'really deep snow' in Wiltshire would still see me out on my motorbike here!!!

As for switching off DSC - I don't get my D3 for another 6 days yet...... Laughing

The only reason you get stuck in snow in Wiltshire is for all the people looking up in the sky in surprise.

I used to live in Lossiemouth, so I can just about remember the white stuff.

Enjoy the snow!

Post #456144th Mar 2006 7:42 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4
Re: SNOW - No go for ANY Disco

JMC wrote:
Took my dogs out for a walk today and tried to negotiate the B974 in Aberdeenshire.

That's the road to Glendye from Banchory, isn't it?

Post #456154th Mar 2006 7:44 pm
lancsamb

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

We had an RTC yesterday in the Trogh of Bowland. A minibus slipped of the road into aditch and 8 kids onboard. Whilst they were not seriously hurt in the end we did not know this until we arrived on. The police helicopter managed to get through and land,then the snow eased off and the air ambulance landed too. We sent 4 road ambulances which go nowhere near,the fire brigade sent two tenders and then did not even get close, they also sent an nissan xtrail butthat got stuck,the police sent an ML350 and that sides wiped the xtrail (!!!!) the ambulance (me) sent thier Disocvery 3 and it got to the scene........
A farmer arrived with a tractor and trailer and with his help and load of Blankets we got the kids off the hill. We left ,theambulances left, the police left but those poor fireman stuck until the thaw.....
 Landrover Discovery 3 TDV6 S 7 seat Automatic
Zambezi Silver my second love 

Post #456184th Mar 2006 7:49 pm
JMC

Scotland 

Quote:
That's the road to Glendye from Banchory, isn't it?

Otherwise known as Banchory to Fettercairn - Yes!

Post #456194th Mar 2006 7:53 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Blimey!

Post #456204th Mar 2006 7:55 pm
espri

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Maybe this is the vehicle you really need, JMC:

It even has an extra dog box at the back Very Happy

Actually a Finnish military (or ex-military) vehicle.

Eric

Post #457735th Mar 2006 8:41 pm
randalls

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

my disco 2 is going nowhere in aberdeenshire until the 3 ft snow drifts are off my track - hopefully the D3 might have a chance - will be interesting to try it.

Post #457765th Mar 2006 9:00 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Great picture!. I used to work at RAF Kinloss and remember the proper snow well. I remember driving to the Lecht ski centre from Tomintoul in an Opel Ascona, I wish I'd had the D3 then. (mind you, D1 had not been developed back then).

With reference to Lancsamb, yesterday myself, tfc, rld, and qzd went for a little play in the Goyt. The D3 is so very good in the snow, that we really did leave everything else slithering in our tracks. When driven sensibly, it is extremely sure footed. It must be the finesse of the TR program, and the accuracy of power delivery to the wheels with grip. The way that the HDC can control 2.7 tons on an icy hill, and then stop the car without so much as a hint of sliding truly amazes me.

Read my other post about the Jag X type that 'tobboganned' down the hill, nearly crashing into me (I had to get out of his way smartish cos' he was Censored on a rope). The X type was the 4wd version, but was absolutely useless at everything. It could not stop, start, turn or anything. In the end RLD had no choice but to tow out of the valley. Even though it had traction control, it was obviously very different from the TC on a D3.

Post #457815th Mar 2006 9:29 pm
SN

Gareth wrote:
With reference to Lancsamb, yesterday myself, tfc, rld, and qzd went for a little play in the Goyt. The D3 is so very good in the snow, that we really did leave everything else slithering in our tracks. When driven sensibly, it is extremely sure footed. It must be the finesse of the TR program, and the accuracy of power delivery to the wheels with grip. The way that the HDC can control 2.7 tons on an icy hill, and then stop the car without so much as a hint of sliding truly amazes me.
I didn't actually explicitly have HDC on when I came down that hill and met you - I just dialled Snow on the TR and that was it Shocked Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #457925th Mar 2006 10:30 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I could be mistaken, but I think HDC is default ON if you select Grass/Gravel/Snow. You can switch it off if you want (or dare) to.

Was your car making the characteristic groaning noises associated with HDC? An added feature is, with HDC on, you can drive "feet off" and control the descent speed with the cruise control + - buttons if you have them.

Post #457945th Mar 2006 10:37 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

HDC comes on with mud & ruts and possibly rock crawl, don't think it does with G/G/S although the Disco3's ability to remember 'last known state' may confuse the issue

Post #458005th Mar 2006 10:51 pm
SN

Gareth wrote:
I could be mistaken, but I think HDC is default ON if you select Grass/Gravel/Snow. You can switch it off if you want (or dare) to.

Was your car making the characteristic groaning noises associated with HDC? An added feature is, with HDC on, you can drive "feet off" and control the descent speed with the cruise control + - buttons if you have them.
Cruise at 5mph? - I think not!!! Foot off brake pedal? Shocked - I think not!!! Foot was gingerly on the brake pedal all the way down - whether that was achieving anything proactively the car couldn't have done on its own? Who knows?

This excerpt from the LR Off Road Manual confirms HDC was on...
Off Road Manual wrote:
Grass-Gravel-Snow
Use this special program for surfaces where the underlying base is fairly firm, but a coating of other material gives a tendency to slip. The coating can be water, slime, grass, snow or loose gravel, shale or pebbles, or even a thin coating of sand. This program should also be selected in icy conditions.
In this special program the Terrain Response systems will select settings to give the best traction, handling and control for predominantly slippery conditions. Hill Descent Control will be engaged automatically in low range, but can be manually de-selected.

...just awesome!!! Very Happy
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #458015th Mar 2006 10:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >