Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Soft suspension, rolling, motion sickness
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
TrackMuncher

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alveston RedDiscovery 3
Soft suspension, rolling, motion sickness

Searching the site I found a few posts by people who have complained over the years about their air suspension becoming softer but I didn't find a conclusive explanation or suggestion.

My disco has 40,000kms on the clock. Over time it has seemed to roll more in the corners and bounce a bit too much fore and aft over speed bumps - like boat (or a 4wd worth half the price). It's hard to quantify but I'm sure it has deteriorated. The kids and wife started to complain more recently about feeling motion sick and I have to admit I even notice it at times when driving.

I find that after each service the whole thing feels a lot firmer but then after 24 hours or so seems to soften up. I've wondered if that was the effect of going up on a hoist or jack and somehow firming up the airbags.

I've just replaced the original 4 tyres and now the ride is a little firmer as you'd expect but I don't think it's good enough.

The car gets its scheduled servicing from the original dealer. It gets the odd software upgrade. Last year it has some sort of suspension upgrade/recall (not specifically for this problem) but that didn't make any difference. It's done a little outback and beach driving but 90% is on road and without significant load. On the whole the suspension seems fine - remains level etc.

I've accepted the ride quality up until now but it's tipped over the threshold at which I can ignore it. I haven't queried the dealer yet as I thought I'd use the collective brains trust to gather info.

Has anyone else experience this?

Any suggestions?

Are there dampening rates/firmness that can be configured? (I think when I asked the service centre they said no).

Thanks
Scott

Post #29811713th May 2008 4:10 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I noticed with mine the suspension was firmer after the 'enhancement program' yours being the 05 model I would be checking this was done properly as there were cases where the software upgrade did not take.
They could try a re-install of the software.
The soft damping of the D3 had been noticed by a few and a greek mob have produced some after market shocks. Metzcar? also uprate the shocks as part of one of their suspension upgrades.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #29812413th May 2008 4:56 am
Alicatt

Belgium 

caverD3 wrote:
The soft damping of the D3 had been noticed by a few and a greek mob have produced some after market shocks. Metzcar? also uprate the shocks as part of one of their suspension upgrades.

Do you mean these people?
http://www.matzker.de/

Post #29815613th May 2008 9:24 am
caverD3

That's the one. Very Happy
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #29816113th May 2008 9:32 am
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Presume you've checked the swinging concrete blocks harmonic dampers at the rear for the travel sickness issue?

Post #29816213th May 2008 9:35 am
TrackMuncher

The after market solution is all well and good, but the ride should be better as standard and I'm sure it was so I'm interested in seeing what can be done with it.

I'll enquire at tne next service about the "enhancement" but I've never found the shiny bums in the front office (at Alto) to be particularly helpful and they hide the mechanics out the back.

As for the weights... I fail to see how they affect the ride. I would have thought that a harmonic damper would reduce vibration rather than the entire suspension dampening. However, it's a good idea to make sure they're up to scratch. Any idea of what can go wrong wth them and what I can look for?

Thanks again
Scott

Post #29817513th May 2008 10:06 am
caverD3

The weights can cause the suspension to act strangely. Look behind the back bumper and make sure the weights swing freely and are not caught up on any wiring.
I have found Alto very helpful. Speak to Gary and let him know you are on the forum.
If you still find the supension odd ask about the softwareget them to update it.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #29818613th May 2008 10:39 am
Jamo

Australia 

TrackMuncher wrote:

I've never found the shiny bums in the front office (at Alto) to be particularly helpful and they hide the mechanics out the back.

That's my biggest beef with the dealers here. I can't get past the service managers, who never seem to relay my issues to the techs correctly.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #29824613th May 2008 1:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

I have to say that alto have suggested I speak to the techos when there was something they did not understand.
It will depend upon what time of day you are there I suppose, if they are busy they may not have the time to give to customer relations.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #29825013th May 2008 1:23 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

re-check your tyre pressures... if they are too high, you will get a bouncier ride. I checked mine recently and they were way too high, set them back to the door sticker (33 & 36) and the ride and handling is sooo much better.

Post #29826613th May 2008 1:53 pm
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

TrackMuncher wrote:

As for the weights... I fail to see how they affect the ride. I would have thought that a harmonic damper would reduce vibration rather than the entire suspension dampening. However, it's a good idea to make sure they're up to scratch. Any idea of what can go wrong wth them and what I can look for?

If the harmonic dampers are held up and not working properly, you will have the resultant problem of losing that magic carpet ride, ergo motion sickness...ensure they swing freely and are not held up by any errant wiring.

Post #29842913th May 2008 8:51 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

TrackMuncher wrote:

As for the weights... I fail to see how they affect the ride. I would have thought that a harmonic damper would reduce vibration rather than the entire suspension dampening.

Actually, they are there to reduce 'vibration' of sorts.......just the very low frequency 'vibration' of the chassis rolling back and to that would cause motion sickness....

If the harmonic dampers were much smaller, then they would resonate and therefore dampen higher frequencies such as what we consider to be normal 'vibrations'...

The lower the mass of the dampers, the higher the frequency that they would dampen.....

(or something like this Laughing )
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #29850913th May 2008 10:54 pm
Nigel McBurney

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi I posted a similar problem some time ago,no solution was forthcoming .and the stealer could not rectify the problem. so i got an ultimatum from my wife,sell it as I cannot ride in,it has also made the dog scared of riding in any vehicle.The owner of the local trailer centre was surprised when I turned up in a nissan,wheres the disco i explained the problems, all he said was go and tell my wife,she told me that they had borrowed a disco and she could not ride in it,felt ill and also disliked it rolling around when cornering,I heard recently that the source for the computer(processor) has been changed.When these kind of of problems occurr It is impossible for the average mechanic to diagnose such problems let alone solve them.I worked in the computer industry and if we had similar problems it could take a team of good graduate engineers to fix it.I am still in the s... as the new type X trail gives an awful ride when towing.It is worth checking the swinging weights as they do have an effect on the ride,they can get caught in the towbar wiring.

Post #31351723rd Jun 2008 9:37 pm
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi TrackMuncher,
I don't where in Sydney you live, but if you're unhappy with Alto, try Trivetts @ Parramatta (their service centre is actually at Camellia (near Rosehill Gardens Racecourse). Speak to Ian Connell, the Assistant Service Manager, he is VERY switched on.

Post #31359924th Jun 2008 4:36 am
TrackMuncher

Thanks for the advice.

We've had fewer complaints from the kids lately. On the one had we've avoided some windy roads and on the other we have new tyres. And I suspect that if you plant the throttle a little more you get less rocking back and forth. Given the mass of the vehicle (i.e its momentum) I find that at slow speeds in traffic you can be on and off the throttle enough to produce a slight surging - like a bad taxi driver. Ever had one of those? There used to be some theory among taxi drivers in Sydney that repeatedly accelerating and then coasting saved them gas while simultaneously Censored off the customer.

All up I think the suspension comes into its own off-road - particularly cruising down a dirt road. But it does produce a floating sensation on bitumen that isn't agreeable with everyone.

Post #31368624th Jun 2008 10:20 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >