Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

someone has just crashed into me!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
joe90t

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4
someone has just crashed into me!!

My D4 MY12 has just made friends with a 7.5 tonner while my car was parked up outside work Big Cry . Damage to wing bonnet door etc. the company have accepted its there fault. What is the best procedure, should i go to LR for quote etc

Post #8781173rd Jan 2012 11:24 am
Curly

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I would have LR quote IMHO then you will get all geuine parts. Thumbs Up

Post #8781253rd Jan 2012 11:34 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
disco_steve

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

When my D3 was involved in an accident last June, I contacted my insurer, they wanted to send it to 'joe bloggs car repairers' Confused

The very thought of that filled me with horror, filler, fibre glass and non OEM parts all came to mind Shocked Shocked

I wanted it repaired 'properly' by a garage who had proper diagnostic kit etc, they did agree in the end (although I had to INSIST) if you get my drift Wink
 Never get mad - get even !!

06 D3 now gone to family member and still going strong at 265k

previous vehicles:
04 D2 TD5 - (clocked 189k from new)
52 X-Trail 2.2 SVE
various euro boxes ! 

Post #8781263rd Jan 2012 11:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pcregeen

2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Under current insurance regulations, it remains the choice of you, the policy holder where you choose to have you car repaired. Do not accept any other statement as it is incorrect. My opinion, go direct to LR and use their bodyshop. That way if issues in future then you have a main dealer to correspond with

Pete

Post #8781323rd Jan 2012 11:51 am
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

My insurer (AVIVA) apply a higher excess if you don't use their approved repairer, and you lose the entitlement to a courtesy car whilst yours is off the road.
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #8781723rd Jan 2012 1:04 pm
Curly

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

D4mation wrote:
My insurer (AVIVA) apply a higher excess if you don't use their approved repairer, and you lose the entitlement to a courtesy car whilst yours is off the road.

Same here D4mation

Post #8781733rd Jan 2012 1:16 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

The pressure insurance companies are inflicting on victims is basically immoral and only just within the terms of the current regulations. When they sell you the cover they don't explain that most of the benefits are lost if you insist on your rights. Excess, recovery, courtesy cars and even OEM glass often isn't covered by your premiums. Direct Line have been telling me that such things are gifts for going along with their policy.

Luckily, some LR dealers are offering a service to contact your insurance company on your behalf after an accident. It's in their interest as they get the business but you get the proper OEM parts and service. Some will even sort out the courtesy car and either way it means you don't have to deal directly with the crooks!!!
Thumbs Up

Post #8782233rd Jan 2012 2:44 pm
D4'er

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Make sure you check with LR dealership that do indeed carry out the repairs ON THEIR OWN SITE first, It's all very well getting LR to do the works however you should be aware many of the main dealerships across the board SUB out there works to local "talent" anyways....

Post #8782473rd Jan 2012 3:25 pm
Archeci

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Hello

When my D3 was hit a little over a year ago the insurers wanted to use a repairer I had experienced with a previous car (and was not happy with) I wanted to use a local repairer who was Land Rover approved. I used a claim management company who were supposed to find an equivilent vehicle while mine was being repaiered, I also managed to use the repairers I wanted to use.

Lee
 Tonga Green TDV6 S

Remember laughing or smiling confuses the management. 

Post #8783923rd Jan 2012 8:47 pm
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I am just awaiting the result of my estimate....tbh I have just left it in the hands of the insurer.....previous repairs ( Whistle ) were very good with my 5-series (Duddingston Coachworks in Edinburgh) and my current insurers have recommended the same people,so happy for them to repair the Disco....
Although I did ring Nick (TLO) to get a rough idea on a couple of bits
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #8783953rd Jan 2012 8:54 pm
jamieg7762

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

under the monoplies & murgers act, your insurer can not tell you that you have to use an accident repair centre that they tell you.

Also if it is not you fault, you can insist on a like for like replacement vehicle, at their expence, not a workshop nissan micra. This is not usually covered for the first 24hrs though.

You can even get your insurance company to push for a "quantam" claim. This covers any un-measurable stress, future de-valuationdue to them crashing into your vehicle.
 d4 HSE in Corris Grey with Black options pack
D3 with the following
Alive Tuning EGR blanking kit
Alive Tuning Re-map
Alive Atrics console
Samco intercooler hoses (from Alive Tuning)
Alive Tuning De-Cat pipe, lovely tone!
Retrofit OEM Hybrid TV tuner 

Post #8783963rd Jan 2012 8:55 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

From my experience just let your insurance company deal with it and don't let an 'accident management' or legal assistance firm get involved. They may say you are entitled to a replacement car equivalent to a D4 and offer to hire one for you but this is where it can all get messy.

I've just had to go to court to help my insurers defend the costs of this type of hire which was extremely high, the consequence was it has been nearly a year since the accident and I'm still waiting for my excess back. I did win the case as I was entitled to an equivalent vehicle but you need to have watertight reasons for this, in my case I needed at least 6 seats as I have 4 kids and had to argue that I really needed a 4x4 which I just managed based on the fact that I work for a 4x4 training centre. If you just like big 4x4's I doubt that would stack up I'm afraid if the other party challenge any hire charges so you may be best to use the courtesy car they offer.

Just insist on the use of genuine parts, not many LR dealers have true 'in-house' body shops these days.

Post #8783983rd Jan 2012 8:55 pm
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Hmmm...interesting point....I have just recieved an e-mail

"In regards to your claim I have instructed a mobility provider called Helphire as, from the incident circumstances, it does not appear that you are at fault for the incident. Helphire are an independent company who will look to provide you with a hire car similar to your own vehicle on the condition that they believe they will get their hire charges reimbursed by the Third Party Insurer. Please expect contact from Helphire directly to discuss this further or alternatively you can contact them on xxxxxxxxxxx"

I'm expecting lots of small print..... Rolling Eyes
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #8784073rd Jan 2012 9:04 pm
jamieg7762

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

like CFB says, only deal with your insurance company, dont even speak to the third party insurance company.

You shouldn't have probs getting a like for like as it is not your fault, why should you drive a lesser car just because there driver can't drive.

Only accept a small car if it is your fault as future insurance quotes will be based on the cost of the total claim.
 d4 HSE in Corris Grey with Black options pack
D3 with the following
Alive Tuning EGR blanking kit
Alive Tuning Re-map
Alive Atrics console
Samco intercooler hoses (from Alive Tuning)
Alive Tuning De-Cat pipe, lovely tone!
Retrofit OEM Hybrid TV tuner 

Post #8784103rd Jan 2012 9:13 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

As I say, from personal experience and unless you absolutely 'need' a D4 type car and could justify it in court, forget them and just take the free courtesy car, it's just not worth the hassle. They are just profiteering from your misfortune and you may end up paying the price.

Post #8784143rd Jan 2012 9:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >