Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

sorry but i am not impressed !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

And here was me thinking that Land Rover had designed a vehicle that knew what it was doing, even if the driver didn't. Remember all those road tests when the D3 came out saying that in the olden days to drive a 4x4 off road you needed to be an "expert". Then along comes the D3 and anyone can drive off road "just like an expert". It now appears that you need all the old off road skills, plus a degree in computer science, at least an HND in electronics, a good grade in A level physics and a big tough finger to press all the right buttons.

Personally I still think All Terrains are the solution.....
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #417209th Feb 2006 8:45 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

simon wrote:
mmm tell that to Slimer that next time he's trying to turn around in a field Wink

My point exactly, I drove all the way up and across that field and turned at the top, you turned no problem. Slimer:- his car didn’t realise it was stuck as all 4 wheels were turning at the same rate etc etc. In defence of Slimer he was unlucky to find him self in that position. Laughing
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #417229th Feb 2006 9:00 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

which is when DSC off and a bit of throttle to induce wheel spin will 'tell' the vehicle to engage traction control

that said, if you never got stuck, you'd never learn how to get un-stuck Wink

Post #417289th Feb 2006 9:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CFB

United Kingdom 

The very same thing happened to me in a D2, flat field with a thin layer of grass covering slippy mud and I was well and truly stuck Embarassed ! If you have the Pirelli Scorpions fitted on 19" rims (as I do) I personally think they they are useless in this type of slippy mud even with all the electronic aids. The treads clog with mud and the tyres operate like slicks.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #417309th Feb 2006 10:09 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pelyma

England 

I disagree, the number one way to get across the terrain is to read it. I don't think tyres make anywhere near the difference that they do on say a D2. The car I think needs more welly when its stuck to get the different permuations that it uses to work. On my LRE day I was apparently stuck on a steep slippy slope, I ground to a halt. It was wasn't until I floored it and held that for a few seconds that the car suddenly found traction, it was spooky, the tyres were like slicks yet the car made it. The Freelander can be a bit like this off road it needs a bit more boot at times than you might otherwise think. I think what the car manages to do is to find which wheel has the minutest bit more traction than the others and use that wheel more.

The car once you understand it is the easiest in the world, I'm a mechanical numty and not the world's greatest driver but the car flatters me. I know many will disagree but I don't feel the MTR type patterns give you as big a difference offroad as the standard tyres do on it, therefore unless you are an absolute off road nut and drive off road more than on it the expense and disavantage of MTR tyres are not worth it. My evidence would be Simon on his last trip where Slimer got stuck and the Salisbury greenlanes when I had my Wranglers and Slimer and 10FC had the coopers on.

I will now eat humble pie at our next day with 10,000 more miles on the tyres and I will look like a big girls blouse Laughing
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #417329th Feb 2006 10:27 am
10forcash

Pelyma, totally agree about the tyres, although I think the difference would be shown in seriously deep mud - not a situation where we've had the chance to do the comparison. I am impressed by the 19" Pirelli's off road ability though. Whilst they do not have the depth of tread of the Coopers, they do clear more easily. Last weekend and Salisbury also proved that the Coopers can be turned into slicks quite easily Embarassed
The TC also takes info from 'driver input' sensors and doesn't just rely upon wheel rotation sensors, sometimes, although it's contra - intuitive, giving the go pedal a push helps regain traction especially on slippery surfaces

Post #417349th Feb 2006 10:37 am
Vo Rogue

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I am curious. Do any of the vehicles in this thread have the Locking Rear Diff and if so did it make much difference and is the "turn the DSC off and give it a bit more stick" more or less applicable to a D3 with or without one ? It worries me a bit leaving computers making decisions.

Post #417389th Feb 2006 11:55 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

Interesting points guys, particulary as I was about to invest in a set of different wheels/tyres but was reluctant due to the cost. I am off to LRE for my Level 1 in Skipton on the 21st so will have a good chat with the guys then and see how the car performs once I understand the electronics a bit better. It certainly pays to know the car, I did a half day course in a Freelander I used to own and once I knew how the TC reacted it is actually a lot better off-road than some think.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #417399th Feb 2006 12:00 pm
10forcash

I'm looking for something between the Pirelli's and the Cooper STT's
The coopers are fine in challenging environments but can be too aggressive for normal use, together with high road noise and wear, I don't think they're the best option

Post #417439th Feb 2006 12:09 pm
Pelyma

England 

Vo Rogue Slimer's has the rear diff lock not sure about the others, mine doesn't.

Post #417509th Feb 2006 1:23 pm
10forcash

Mine doesn't either Sad
Interestingly (well to me anyway Embarassed ) it didn't make a ha'porth's of difference on slippy grass & mud but made all the difference when cross-axled. Both vehicles were booted with the same tyres and had a similar loaded weight
TC is very good at sorting out forward or reverse problems but has no sensors to indicate lateral slip (i.e. "should that fence post be getting closer?" type scenario's) it definitely helps to give it a bit of welly to tell the TC what you're trying to do although sometimes you do need to back off again to allow it to find grip
DSC can generally be left on unless you expect to lose grip as in most cases it's better to maintain movement whilst losing grip than try and regain it once it's been lost

Post #417529th Feb 2006 1:40 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

The D3 can go most places on standard tyres. I don’t think that off road tyres will make that much difference in normal 4x4 circumstances.

I opted for Goodyear MT/R’s because I have to tow a trailer and kit up to water storage tanks which are usually located at the top of woodland, accessible via muddy and sometimes un-identifiable tracks.

If I used my D3 for normal 4x4 use, I would stick to the standard tyres.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #417869th Feb 2006 8:44 pm
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

hi all

well i have managed to put egg all over my face, as you are all aware i have said i was not impressed with the d3 off road. well i was then told you have to turn the dsc OFF Embarassed

i was out and about today and thought i would go to the farm track i got stuck on before, i turned into the track and turned the dsc off selected grass/snow terrain mode and put the height to off road. i proceded slowly and eventually came to the dip where i got stuck.

i stopped for a moment and thought do i really want to risk this as it was even wetter than before but i thought stuff it you only live once so off i went maintained a steady speed and wahoo the d3 went straight through the mud up the dip and out the other side.

so i would like to publicly appologise for calling the d3 down on a public forum when it was all down to MY incompetance and not the car, so i solomly declare never to doubt my d3 again Embarassed

cheers shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #4304318th Feb 2006 7:01 pm
Pelyma

England 

Apology accepted Wink

Post #4304618th Feb 2006 7:38 pm
BN

England 

Shawn, I think a day with us on a funday will do a world of good Wink