DISCO4.COM > General

sorry but i am not impressed !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4
sorry but i am not impressed !

hi all

i went out today to check lots of land that i shoot over, this required me to go down various farm tracks to get to some fields. a lot of the tracks are just mud/grass and yes we have had some rain i know but these tracks were slipery and the tyres were sinking probally about 2 inches down. the problem i had was as soon as i had to go up any kind of slight hill i just kept getting stuck and had to find another way around. yes i have only got road tyres but surley the d3 should be better than this. i tried different terrain response programs but it was no better. in the end i got fed up went home and fetched my short wheel base pajero with mud terrain tyres on it and never got stuck once not even a glimpse of getting stuck i even tried the pajero in normal 2 wheel drive where the d3 got stuck and it romped up the hill no problem. was it just the tyres then and would the d3 be as good as the pajero with mud terrains on it ( i don,t think so) i have never got the pajero stuck ever i have had a couple of very close times but as soon as it feels like i am stuck i stop engage rear diff lock and out she goes. what do you lot think

cheers shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #416558th Feb 2006 10:07 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

At a guess, was the ground very firm (possibly even frozen) beneath the surface layer of mud ? If that is the case then the D3's weight and road tyres would explain why the traction available was 2/3rds of bog all. Basically the car just aquaplanes on the mud = no forward motion. The lighter Pajero with some deeper treads with teeth on the tyres would not suffer in the same way....
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #416568th Feb 2006 10:15 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Did you switch the DSC off? If you did not, and it was very slippery, then the DSC senses the wheels spinning and cuts the engine power to almost nothing just when you need it.

Post #416578th Feb 2006 10:17 pm
shawn

the ground was not frozen under the top layer but it was very sort of slimmey. the d3's wieght will not of helped i suppose. the pajero is very light as it is also a convertable with rear seats removed, never thought of that Embarassed

shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #416598th Feb 2006 10:20 pm
shawn

Gareth wrote:
Did you switch the DSC off? If you did not, and it was very slippery, then the DSC senses the wheels spinning and cuts the engine power to almost nothing just when you need it.

Censored i never knew you had to turn the dsc off you are absolutly correct the d3 did loose ALL POWER just when i needed it most, mine is a tdv6 auto

cheers shawn
Post #416608th Feb 2006 10:22 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The key is to switch off DSC, but go easy on the throttle. It will possibly slew around a bit, but you should be able to drive it through, and keep it moving.

Post #416628th Feb 2006 10:34 pm
shawn

yes gareth you are probally right i think some of the problem was i could not keep the momentum going, once the d3 started to slow down that was it because i never had any power

cheers shawn

i am tempted to go and have another go tomorrow but i don't want to get stuck whilst on my own, as farmers are not the happiest of people Shocked and i would not want to have to ring my farmers up to tow me out, after all i am supose to helping with pest control not hindering them with getting stuck on a mini off roading expadition Laughing Laughing

shawn
Post #416638th Feb 2006 10:39 pm
Pelyma

England 

Shawn, I did exactly the same got hopelessly stuck in a grass paddock (with an audience Embarassed ) You need to learn to use the gismos first then you will be utterly amazed. The RRS guys have fallen for this and try to drive like a normal 4X4, which you will eventually do once you know which switches need to be on.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #416688th Feb 2006 11:08 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

did you dial in grass-gravel-snow?
together with DSC off, it'll help enormously Wink Think you need to check out AndrewS's event Wink
spent all last weekend getting stuck (intentionally Embarassed ) a lot of it comes down to reading the ground as well as the capabilities of the vehicle. The weight can work both for and against depending on the terrain

Post #416698th Feb 2006 11:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shawn

tfc

i did try grass/gravel/snow and mud and ruts and high and low range but never at any point did i turn the dsc off Embarassed i never knew about that, thing is when you start getting sweaty around the neck and find your 40K motor drifting side ways towards a ditch you tend to just want to get back to good ground Laughing Laughing

shawn
Post #416758th Feb 2006 11:21 pm
10forcash

tell me about it Rolling Eyes
Still, nobody died despite the lack of professional instructors Wink

Post #416808th Feb 2006 11:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shawn

10forcash wrote:
Think you need to check out AndrewS's event Wink

tfc
where is this event held i have found it on the events page but not sure where that is

cheers shawn
Post #416838th Feb 2006 11:31 pm
10forcash

Shawn,
it's about 120 miles from you, I'll be going so you can follow if you want Wink
http://maps.yahoo.net/?encoding=UTF-8&...mit=Search

Post #416878th Feb 2006 11:37 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Shawn
The D3 is a complex beast. However it is a very capable machine if set it up for the right conditions. 8) The skill in driving off road in one of these beasts is to understand what is happening and selecting the correct driving modes. Once you have sussed out the correct commands for the conditions and drive accordingly, it is un-stoppable Wink well just about un-stoppable. Laughing
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #417009th Feb 2006 12:05 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

mmm tell that to Slimer that next time he's trying to turn around in a field Wink

Post #417139th Feb 2006 1:59 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >