Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Sorry Rangie but thanks for getting MY ticket!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
freeflytim

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Sorry Rangie but thanks for getting MY ticket!

I beginning to think my LR has an undocumented stealth mode.

Im driving tonight at my usual ‘take me to jail’ speeds when I see in my rearview mirror way, way, WAY back blue lights. I don’t really think much about it because he is SO far back... But, I do the prudent thing by backing off it a bit and merging into the other lanes of traffic.

As I do this, I notice a shiny silver late model Rangie merge onto the interstate in front of me. Nice Land Rover, I say to myself.

A mile or more pass and the copper finally overtakes me at a high rate of speed. And guess what? He settles in behind and pulls over the Rangie that JUST got on the highway in FRONT of me!!!

WTF! The Rangie JUST got on the highway! All I can figure is that he clocked me (radar/laser detector volume was down), saw “Land Rover” on the hood and was thinking “Silver Land Rover Silver Land Rover Silver Land Rover” and he saw the other Land Rover first! Thanks dude!!

And that’s not the first….

A couple of weeks ago I crest a hill at the same ‘take me to jail’ speed when my laser detector practically explodes because its screaming so loud. On the side of the road is one of Georgia’s Finest with me clearly in the sights of his laser gun. “Oh well” I think.

He even had the ‘stance’ with the gun propped on his open door! He was out for blood!

But he DIDN’T chase me!!

The only reason I can think of is because I had my PIA driving lights and my Xenon headlights on and with all that brightness- the laser gun was ‘blinded’ and couldn’t ‘lock on.’ Who knows. Georgia State Patrol does not do speed surveys!

Stealth? Im beginning to think so!
 Wa Hoo
-Tim
Chattanooga Tennessee USA
D3 V8HSE7HD
D1 kitted trail truck.
A Hummer is just a Hummer. A Land Rover goes all the way. 

Post #829125th Jul 2005 3:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

freeflytim, your lucky you still only have that sort of speed detection. We have camera's absolutely everywhere. Even average sensible people now are buying Road Angel a gps speed (sorry it is called a safety camera) camera locater. Mr Blair is the best dictator we have ever had.

Post #829725th Jul 2005 8:36 am
freeflytim

We also have our 'god given right to 9 over' before the coppers even think about coming after us.

Thankfully cameras are not prevalent over here. We have some stop light cameras but no speed cameras. Americans would absolutely flip out if some city attempted to implement speed cameras. Even stop light cameras have caused people to win or lose in local elections. I wouldn’t say cameras are dying out over here, but they are VERY tough to be installed without a major outcry from the citizens!!
 Wa Hoo
-Tim
D3 V8HSE7HD
D1 kitted trail truck.

Post #833025th Jul 2005 3:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

Over here we have a group of people who are either, shooting them, burning them, blowing them up or ripping them off their stands. We have over 10 around my area that have been wrecked in such a way. Problem is they replace them almost within one week. In Holland the lads go around standing through the car sunroof shooting them for sport.

Our biggest nightmare are the SPECS cameras. These are ones that register your speed on entry into a zone and if you leave the zone at a higher average speed between the cameras in the zone you get done.

Cameras we have are:
Gatso
TruVelo
SPECS
Watchman
Speedcurb
DS2
Mobile Lazer guns
Mobile Vans with civilians inside working for the police with mobile lazer cameras looking through little peepholes in the vans

Hows that for a little country. In my county about 3 years ago speed was not a problem about 100 people were done each year, not many and then it had to be really excessive. Last year apparently 52,000 were fined. Wish my business would grow like that.

Post #834225th Jul 2005 5:10 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

It's hard to drive anywhere without cameras nowadays though there's still a lot of places with warning signs and the lines on the road though no camera. Makes me laugh the amount of people who automatically brake whenever they see lines on the road without even being aware if there's a camera there or not or indeed if they're even speeding at all Rolling Eyes

My personal rule is I never speed on single carriage ways (when there's a greater chance of someone coming towards you on your side of the road) and if I do go over the limit on dual carriageways it's rarely by much and only of the road's fairly clear. Life's too short to be constantly looking over your shoulder for blue flashing lights or radar guns at the side of the road, I like to arrive relaxed and stress free Smile
 The End  
Post #841125th Jul 2005 9:04 pm
BN

England 

I totally agree there. Having said that, I could not do without my Road Angel now, it certainly helps the little occassional slip up.

Post #841625th Jul 2005 9:15 pm
jollybodger

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Does anyone know whether you can we upload the various speed camera locations onto the sat nav in the Disco as POI's like you can say for a Tom Tom Go unit? Since having got the car (all of 3 days) haven;t felt like speeding yet, it's much more fun tootling along at the normal speed limit. Crikey, I'm getting boring Exclamation
Duncan

Post #849625th Jul 2005 10:35 pm
BN

England 

Thats a big No. They apparently don't even update the software for road updates yet.

Post #851925th Jul 2005 10:54 pm
lee01277

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Let someone drive mine to York and back while I did some work in teh back [ok, I was sleeping ..] . He kept on moaning about a pinging noise when he got to 80.. I'd not heard that one before, and eventualy I found it was the "driver Speed Setting" set at 80..

So I guess I don't speed either then [ and very reasonable mpg ]
 ..............Somewhere in-between my old D3 and what's to come next .........  
Post #865527th Jul 2005 12:20 am
freeflytim

Huh?? Confused
lee01277 wrote:
[ and very reasonable mpg ]
 Wa Hoo
-Tim
D3 V8HSE7HD
D1 kitted trail truck.

Post #865627th Jul 2005 3:27 am
BN

England 

freeflytim, on UK models a setting for a speed can be set by the driver to 'ping' when you reach the speed. I think it goes up in 5's Just go into settings etc.

Post #866027th Jul 2005 7:22 am
freeflytim

I know about that- its the reasonable mpg thing Ive not heard of!

heh heh heh.
 Wa Hoo
-Tim
D3 V8HSE7HD
D1 kitted trail truck.

Post #876628th Jul 2005 2:23 am
BN

England 

We have little choice other than to try to get 'reasonable mpg' here. Not only is the fuel price hitting 93p per litre (1.62$) and rising, but the speed cameras are a pain. Maybe there is a trade off there. The speed cameras do save fuel Shocked

Post #877328th Jul 2005 8:03 am
lee01277

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

This month . 2800 miles @ 29.8 mpg, mostly m/way, but with a fair bit of urban. Reasonable in my view, and loads better than my previous exec barge ( Omega Estate 2.6 petrol)
 ..............Somewhere in-between my old D3 and what's to come next .........  
Post #895130th Jul 2005 2:51 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >