DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

Split charging a leisure battery using the 13 pin tow socket
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
RBB

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
Split charging a leisure battery using the 13 pin tow socket

Title says it all really.....

I’m thinking about fitting a split charge system to a leisure battery in my 15 plate Landcover Discovery 4.

Rather than fit the battery under the hood I was toying with the idea of fitting it in the side L/H panel in the boot.

So the question is.....

Rather than take a feed through a split charge or battery to battery charger/relay from the front, could I just take a feed from the existing euro 13pin tow electrics, which I assume have some sort of split or battery to battery charge system already, other wise any caravan with a leisure battery could discharge the starter battery.

Thanks for any input in advance...

Cheers

Ross

Post #202338529th Jan 2019 6:33 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

my thoughts - happy to be corrected though by others more knowledgeable

- Ignition does not disconnect the 12v towing feed (I think) as otherwise how can I charge my Disco via 'it' and a Ctek charger? So doesn't work like a split charge (again, I think!)

- A split charge controller only links the batteries when the charging voltage to the main battery is at a suitable level - i.e. it will charge your starter first, before opening up to your Aux - which even if the 12v towing feed were to disconnect the Aux battery from the Starter on ignition wouldn't give you this 'protection'

- the 12v towing electrics won't charge a heavily-drained deep cycle anywhere nearly as quickly as a proper split charge connected via high-current battery cable and a hefty solenoid. It will be more of a trickle charge.

Hope this is accurate!

James
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - WTF does this button do 

Post #202339529th Jan 2019 6:57 pm
RBB

All good points James thanks....,

I was wondering about charge currents and cable capacity etc which was really why I asked the question..... Not having had a tin snail for a long time and knowing how power hungry they are now also led my to wonder how the leisure batteries/fridge etc are run/charged given such a small cross-sectional area of the switched live through the socket.

As far as I know pin 10 is a switched +ve, will have a look and stick a meter on it tomorrow, pin 9 being a permanent live....which also made me think it must have some sort of split charge system built in??

Post #202339629th Jan 2019 7:11 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

Good point if there is both a switched and an unswitched positive that's better. I think my other points still stand though about disconnecting aux battery if starter battery is insufficiently charged and also the charge rate achievable.

Thumbs Up
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - WTF does this button do 

Post #202393631st Jan 2019 11:44 am
RBB

I think the cars tow socket probably acts as a trickle charge, most tin snails then take a 230v hook up when on site, where they get a “proper” charge.

Haven’t quite given up on this yet ! Spoke to a mate who is a tech with Ford and also an avid tinsnailer, he seems to think that the ecu/smart alternator systems act to properly charge, from what I can see the live to the socket is fused at 20A so he might be right..... more digging to be done

Post #202394631st Jan 2019 12:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >