Spotlamp kit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Spotlamp kit

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Land-Rover-Driving-L...dZViewItem

Looks like the same type of kit that I bought. Buy it now price is a little less than I paid Crying or Very sad

You will also need mounting kit for bumper and dealer to switch the electronics on.

Post #403841st Feb 2006 8:35 pm
MJ

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

How do you get on with them Gareth ??

When do you use them - On road, Off road ???

How long did they take to fit ?

Questions, Questions!!

Post #403911st Feb 2006 9:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

They are good, I have the bumper moutings, which I had to fit myself. The instructions are OK, you need some tools like a drill, torx drive set, the instructions say you need a rivnut expander, but I just used the mounting bolts to expand them, worked fine.

You will have to remove the wheel arch trims, front mudflaps, front grille, front bumper, headlamps and Battery. Sounds a lot, but I had the whole lot removed in less that 30 minutes. You need to remove the drivers lower dash trim, the panels around the air vents, and the light switch unit (all easy)

You have to remove a green plug from a 'black box' behind the lower glove box, just below the fuses, this was a complete b**t*rd to remove! it has a clip around the back which is impossible to get to. I eventually removed it by making a tool out of a pair of tweezers to compress the clip.

You have to cut a hole in the dashboard ( Shocked ) which is a bit scary, but you get a template in the kit. The best tool to cut with is a swiss army knife saw blade!

You have to cut out some of the structure behind the bumper to clear the mounting posts.

You have to drill 2 x 52 mm holes in the top of the front bumper. These are the ones that the spots mount through. check, double check, and triple check the position is correct before drilling. You get templates, but drill under size first and then open up to size when you know that you are in the right place.

The mounting covers that hide the bottom fastenings on the spots needed grinding down to fit snugly.

After all that, you have to go to the dealer for the ecu to be told about the spots.

It sounds a lot, but it took me 1 1/2 days.

They are good looking and enhance the style of the vehicle, and they do make the already good lighting even better.

Post #403941st Feb 2006 9:20 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

Quite a job - well done.
I see Gazavich got a very good bargain with an A bar c/w lights from ebay - I forgot about it - for less than the buy it now price on the lights you mention.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #403971st Feb 2006 9:35 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Yes, I thought I had done well by getting the kit off ebay for £155 + £10 delivery. It then cost £42 for the bumper mount, and £49 for the dealer ecu switch on.

Still cheaper than getting the lamps with the car from new, but it makes you realise how much margin the dealers make on these accesories. The RRP is over £230 for the lamps, then you would have to pay for the mounts, and then the dealer fitting cost.

Post #404031st Feb 2006 9:50 pm
Gazavich

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

DrLex wrote:
Quite a job - well done.
I see Gazavich got a very good bargain with an A bar c/w lights from ebay - I forgot about it - for less than the buy it now price on the lights you mention.

Hi Drlex my ears are burning, yes what a bargain got the A frame with spots in the end for £122.00 without delivery as I offered to meet him half way for the pick up.

Also should'nt cost a lot to fit as my old sparing partner from school is a land rover service manager and is already on the case with the extra goodies required for lighting up time. Wink Wink
 HSE TDV6 Silver : "Avin it large"

www.lift-trucksolutions.co.uk 

Post #404722nd Feb 2006 8:22 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >