DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Spotlights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MikeS2005

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Spotlights

Hi All
Just in case anyone is interested Ive found a way to mount the spotlights on the car without drilling the front bumper or the grill and Ive at last got them fitted.
I have also converted the OE spotlights to HID and hell are they bright looked at them and couldnt see for 5 minutes.
It will cost you next to nothing for the mounting brackets and about an hour of your time.
I will post photos of the conversion as soon as I can
cheers

Post #55576824th Nov 2009 8:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lafona00

United Arab Emirates 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Would be interrested of the mounting and the conversion to HID.

thanks for the coming subject
 Arno
No more LR... but a Toyo
Java Black Disco 3 XS Auto - MY2008 - Leather, heated seats.
Series 3 Def 90 - 1993 

Post #55577624th Nov 2009 8:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Very interested in this, just what I wanted to do but havent had the time yet. please PM me when ready.
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #55589524th Nov 2009 11:31 pm
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Good man Mike Thumbs Up , interested in that HID upgrade
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life.  
Post #55589624th Nov 2009 11:35 pm
roamingman

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hi very iterested Thumbs Up waiting for photos Bow down
 convoy For Heroes record holder (348)
Live life 'til you die
Team Teddy Bears Picnic 

Post #55598325th Nov 2009 11:43 am
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

interested!
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #55598925th Nov 2009 11:58 am
MikeS2005

Hi guys
Just posted pics under maintenance and mods to mount the spots you need to get 6 X 2 inch piece of Aluminium flat bar
Drill two holes for heavy self tappers these need to be one inch in length at the back of the flat bar and match the two holes up in the LR spot light brackets you can then bolt the small LR brackets to the flatbar.
The above only applies to LR spots for any others you would need to get a threaded flat head bolt that bolts inside your spots and this would go through the front of the bar this flat head would stop a normal bolt chipping your paintwork.
When mounting the flat bar make sure that the flat bar is level or about 1 cm from the edge of your bumper.
Depending on the size of your spotlights you may have to lengthen your flatbar so you can tilt your spotlights to get the aim correct.

Remove your grill and look to the back of the bumper there is a black piece of plastic that is held on with 4 plastic screws remove these and the pop studs and pull the plastic away
now you are left with a ridge that runs along the back edge of the bumper measure in from either side either 6 or 8 inches either side so the spotlights are at the same distance on either side one again this may change depencing on which spots are used.
You will need to trim the small edge of plastic at the back of the bumper so the flat bar sits level on the bumper dont trim it all off as you only need to trim a section so the flat bar just fits in this stops the flat bar moving from side to side and adds strength.
The flat bar then needs to be placed in situ and take a drill and drill pilot holes right through the back of the hidden part of the bumper into the crash bar that sits underneath the front bumper this gives you an excellant hold for the brackets.
It may sound complicated but its straight forward and nice and neat and no holes can be seen which is far better than the LR mounting, you will also be able to remove your spots without any visible damage

The HID upgrade is simple as well replace the normal bulb with the hid capsule drill a large hole to accomodate the rubber seal that comes with the capsule and plug everything in job done go turn them on and its like daylight
The only thing I would say is Ive used 8000k capsules as thats all I had but in hindsight I am probably going to replace them with anywhere between 4500k.5000k or 6000k as I dont know what kelvin rating the D3 uses but Im told it one of the three listed this would result in the spots matching the headlights
cheers

Post #55758629th Nov 2009 12:36 am
lafona00

United Arab Emirates 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Here is the post:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic42442.html
 Arno
No more LR... but a Toyo
Java Black Disco 3 XS Auto - MY2008 - Leather, heated seats.
Series 3 Def 90 - 1993 

Post #55762829th Nov 2009 8:48 am
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Mike - is it a stable mount ? Any vibration etc when driving ?
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #55765329th Nov 2009 11:27 am
MikeS2005

Hi All
I dont have any vibration issues at the moment that Ive noticed but thet have only been fitted for a few days so havnt really noticed.

As long as you use a flat bar that is at least between 3 to six millimetre thick you shouldnt get any vibration if you did you could also add a rubber steady to the front of the bar this would sit on the bumper but you would have to put some of the clear sticky plastic on the top of your bumper or it would rub the paint away,the other item that stops vibration issues would be a spotlight steady this could also be fitted if need be and a further bracket formed to go behind the grill that you could secure the steady to, the steadys arnt that expensive I think thay are around a £10.00 or maybe cheaper if you do an ebay search.
It was a bit of a Censored to get all the wiring through the grill as the wiring is a bit short but its just because where I have mounted the ballasts quite high up so they dont get hit with a lot of water and they are a bit protected. They are meant to be water proof though so not to much of an issue. Ive not had a chance to disconnect the wiring again to give you photos of behind the grill but will get round to it as soon as I can
cheers

Post #55774329th Nov 2009 5:20 pm
D3Norway

Norway 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I've also replaced the original H7 highbeam with some 50Watt (xenons are normaly 35 watts) and 6000K. Original for all car manufacturers are 4300K. 6000K give you the best light output. 8000K turns too blue to give you the best possible light.

Replacing these are very easy and give you great light without adding aux light, not that I am one of those with 3 extra xenons in front 8)
 christian@betekconsult.com  
Post #55784029th Nov 2009 9:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >