Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Squeaky Brakes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
TombRaiderTom

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Squeaky Brakes

The last week or so I have noticed that there is a squeak coming from, what appears to be the brakes, when the handbrake is released.
Over about 5-10 mph the noise can not be heard.

Any one else had this problem?

Post #4208012th Feb 2006 5:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Re: Squeaky Brakes

TombRaiderTom wrote:
The last week or so I have noticed that there is a squeak coming from, what appears to be the brakes, when the handbrake is released.

Me too. The squeal at low speed is driving my wife bonkers!

I'm pretty sure it's a stone or something on the brake pad, but not quite sure how to get rid easily.
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #4220013th Feb 2006 1:31 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Its a common issue, requiring stripdown of rear brakes. New modified parts should cure it.

Interestingly, the service schedule requires rear brake inspection if the vehicle has been off-road? (or so I have been told) Is this correct?

Post #4221313th Feb 2006 2:18 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Could be the same problem that I have with our RRS. It has been in and I am waiting for the bits (brake kit) to arrive at the dealers for it's return visit. On the RRS (so I assume it is the same as the D3) there is a known fault where a clip breaks. I assume this is what is wrong with ours.
Here is the GTR bulliten:

Technical Service Bulliten No.LS206-002
Summary :
A customer may report a concern of a squeal or clicking noise, or of excessive brake dust coming from one or both of the rear brake hubs.
Cause : The electronic parking brake, brake shoe retaining clip has become dislodged or has broken, leading to the above complaint.
Action : Should a customer express concern regarding the above, refer to the Service Procedure detailed in this bulletin.
Parts Required: Parking brake service kit SFS500012
Labour Time: Renew rear parking brake shoes 70.40.09 1.50 hours
Service Instruction
NOTE : In cases where a broken clip has been identified, to ensure a 'right first time' repair, both of the rear brakes should be serviced using the above service kit containing the latest design retaining clip and redesigned brake shoes.
NOTE : The service repair kit should always be used when replacing rear parking brake shoes during routine maintenance, to ensure that the latest specification parts are installed.
CAUTION : Ensure the new retaining clip is correctly positioned into the shoe locating slot.
Renew both rear parking brake shoes using the above parts kit, which includes the modified design shoes, retaining clip and return springs (illustration shows both left-hand and right-hand shoe arrangements and indicates the retaining clip locating slot). For additional information, refer to Global Technical Reference (GTR) Range Rover Sport Workshop Manual Section 206-05, Parking Brake and Actuation - Shoes (70.40.09).
 Matt  
Post #4221513th Feb 2006 2:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
afp001

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: Squeaky Brakes

KL wrote:
TombRaiderTom wrote:

Me too. The squeal at low speed is driving my wife bonkers!

I'm pretty sure it's a stone or something on the brake pad, but not quite sure how to get rid easily.

And me, started this morning.
 TDV6 SE auto, Java / Alpacca
2010 Mini Cooper S Conv. Pepper White, Blue roof
2010 Jaguar XJ, Caviar with Cashew seats, B&W 1200W Hifi 

Post #4241014th Feb 2006 7:20 pm
chippypip

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

As has been mentioned, this is part of a tech bulletin.

Ours has done it since day one. We were told when we had our rusty wheel bores/mounts replaced, they had put new brake pads on too.

Post #4241414th Feb 2006 7:50 pm
TombRaiderTom

Thanks guys for your help. Car is booked in for service on the 1st so ill call them tomorrow and pre warn them.

Ill let you know what they say!

Post #4243314th Feb 2006 9:53 pm
jkp

Scotland 

These threads are getting spooky.

Mine has just started doing this in the last couple of days. Sounds like a cat in the throws of castration when moving off.

I'll live with it until after the Newbie day, then get them to have a look at it.

Post #4244214th Feb 2006 10:34 pm
gmidghall

Isle Of Man 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi,
My brakes were squealing the same, it was in for other work covered by warranty when I asked the dealer to have a look at the problem. Straight after i picked the vehicle up the squeaky brakes continued, the dealer said that they had stripped rear brakes and cleaned out the brake dust and as this was not covered under warranty then sent me a bill for £109.95. Shocked

Post #4245714th Feb 2006 11:21 pm
zig

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

If your chassis number is in the range 5A300167-6A357844 then it should be covered by warranty as it is a know problem. Modified design shoes, retaining clips and return springs are fitted.

Post #4246914th Feb 2006 11:59 pm
TombRaiderTom

Spoken to dealer this morning and they said that they know of the brake clip issue but it only effects 1% of all cars!

They have made a note of it so we shall see what they do in the service, I will check the chasis number to see where it falls.

Post #4251415th Feb 2006 1:00 pm
zig

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Have difficulty believing the 1% figure which I assume is a clips only figure.

However, I suspect the problem starts with dust build up from the shoes (soft lining material perhaps?) leading to the shoes binding (restricted to low speeds?) and resulting in the clips being damaged (not strong enough?). Once the clips are damaged the dust build up/damage to the shoes accelerates increasing the binding effect of the shoes which becomes more erratic.

The solution being the fitment of new modified shoes and clips.

All of this is conjecture and if anyone on the forum can provide enlightenment that would be welcome.

Post #4284216th Feb 2006 11:35 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I doubt it's soft linings, more likely that the shoe retention system prevents the shoes withdrawing from the drums properly, leading to the dust created by the brake drag

Post #4284516th Feb 2006 11:38 pm
andym

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
squeaky brakes

My D3 is with landrover barkingside for squeaky brakes. This is the second time its been there for this annoying problem. I have pointed out the design issues as reported on this site. I will let you know the outcome. I would love to have squeak free motoring but somehow..

have got the car back.Barkingside were very good 4 telephone calls in the day re updates. I have ben promised the brake adjustment pack which is on order. The coolent level indicator should have been fixed and they cleaned the mud off the wheels as well.

Post #4287217th Feb 2006 12:29 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >