DISCO4.COM > General

New lower arms time?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mek

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
New lower arms time?

Hi,

My car's steering wheel turns to the left when I slam the brakes on. I fitted new tie rods and tie rod ends earlier in the year so it could be time to change the lower arms. My 2006 car has done about 86k miles equivalent, and the current lower arms have a manufacture date of 2012. Also with the car on a ramp if I put my hands around the front wheels there is some side to side play.

Is the best option available the Meyle HD 4 year lower arms from AF? i.e. these:

https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/kit618m-...1174-p.asp

Should I be changing any other parts at the same time if I am doing this work?

Thanks,

Andy

Post #188016116th Nov 2017 3:46 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have just replaced the original lower arms on mine ( a 2006 D3 @78,000 miles). I fitted the AF Lemforder bushed RRS arms Thumbs Up For a good while there had been an annoying knock when slamming on the brakes, and when going over even just mild road undulations.This is a classic sign that the rear bushes are knackered. If yours are not knocking, then I wouldn't think the lower arms need changing just yet. Look for other signs of the play you mention.....wheel bearings ? Ball joints etc ? before doing the arms.
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #188016616th Nov 2017 4:17 pm
JMack

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: New lower arms time?

mek wrote:

Is the best option available the Meyle HD 4 year lower arms from AF? i.e. these:

https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/kit618m-...1174-p.asp

I had those fitted to mine earlier this year.

Thumbs Up

Post #188017716th Nov 2017 4:53 pm
mek

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Hi,

After I made my initial post I realised that I have more information, which I hope might enable someone to advise on my next steps to diagnosis and repair.

This summer I changed the tie rods/ends and attached is a image of my wheel alignment print out at that time. Bear with me because my German is about as bad as my wheel alignment technical knowledge however I think I have pieced this together

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m63385n4h...sp=sharing

You can see that "Spreizung" has been highlighted in the wheel alignment print out. The "englishforum" here in Zurich have translated this for me as "king pin inclination". In the next image I have highlighted what I believe this refers to in red.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w2yjLuTXq...sp=sharing

With this additional information, can someone advise if this reading suggests a particular issue and what my next action should be? I am in the UK for 5 days from tomorrow so good opportunity for me to get parts.

Thanks,

Andy

Post #188225522nd Nov 2017 1:10 am
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Did you check for other sources of play ? because they would need to be rectified first.......From what I can gather, the diagram suggests that the 'camber' setting is out of tolerance. Why did they not adjust this for you ?....... Of course if your front arms are pretty old, the bolts ( with cam washers, that facilitate that adjustment) may well be seized in the bushes. If that is the case, then either new bushes and bolts/ nuts/washers, or new complete lower front arms, bolts/nuts/washers, and a full alignment check/adjustment will probably be required. Thumbs Up
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #188250722nd Nov 2017 6:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >