Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Squealing Brakes - Very Loud !!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
BATS

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Squealing Brakes - Very Loud !!

Having got the reduced performance resolved after 4 weeks in the garage, the brakes decided to squeal exceedingly loudly. LRA recovered the vehicle and the AA man commented that he had recovered 'hundreds' of D4s. While I don't believe the total, it's a bit worrying......

Anyway, back to the brake saga; when new the car squealed very loudly in reverse and I was told that the brakes would bed in. The reversing squeal never went away even after 1500 miles; the latest incident was both in reverse and forward gears and you could hear the noise above the engine with the windows closed and the stereo up ! So, for a journey of 8 miles - 4 out and 4 back to home and having decided that the noise was rather serious, I called LRA who were as helpful as ever.

There were large 2-3mm deep deposits of black dust on the rear wheels (but not the front) - The wheels had been clean prior to leaving. The dealers have replicated the problem (not hard unless you're stone deaf) and re-set the brakes which apparently were poorly adjusted on delivery (along with every other D4 they've seen.....their words, not mine).

There was also a suggestion that the electric brake is still prone to dust build up and that this may have been part of the cause; however, after 1500 miles, I would be somewhat cross if I had to pay to have the brakes stripped down every month to fix a design fault. The suggested course of action is not to manually release the parking brake as that may cause the dust build up; the dealers advise that the electric brake has an automatic release and should be driven off with the brake on - the action of the auto release should be enough to prevent dust build up.

Finally, the dealers have advised that the reversing squeal, which is still present, is a known fault with the foot brakes and Land Rover are working on a fix.

Post #5996328th Feb 2010 10:41 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think they are talking ballcocks about not manually releasing the epb.

Its obviously shafted before you start. If there is that much brake dust on your wheels, I would be asking for the components to be replaced. Adjustment on such a new vehicle is not acceptable IMO.

Post #5996418th Feb 2010 10:56 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Are the wheels that are squeeling getting hot, if on a short drive they are putting out that much dust you'll be replacing pads way ahead of schedule. If they are binding on you could end up with a very hot hub, not good.

Post #5996428th Feb 2010 11:02 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

This isue has appeared in Aus. Not EPB but disk brakes. Has improved over time on those that had it.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #5996859th Feb 2010 12:03 am
BATS

The wheels aren't getting hot although I didn't put my fingers anywhere near the discs. I'm in the process of writing to Land Rover to 'express my concerns'. 8 week old car, 5 weeks in the garage so far......

Post #5997619th Feb 2010 9:17 am
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

My car was at the stealers last week for various things, including the squealing in reverse problem. The Stealer says that this is now a known problem and that they are waiting for replacement rear calipers to be available from the factory. They have no idea when this might be.

They didn't fix most of the other problems either......mostly they denied they existed.......they don't get any better!
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #5998709th Feb 2010 12:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stick

United Kingdom 2010 LR4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR4

BATS

which dealer? I ahve one on order from Hunters Southampton, doesn't sound to me like you have been loooked after very well? Sad

Post #60062210th Feb 2010 9:16 am
Jesse B

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

The brakes on my D4 are still squealing in reverse after 7,500 km. Dealer has said bring it in for them to look at, but haven't had the opportunity to do so yet. No issues with going forward.

Post #60062810th Feb 2010 9:30 am
eaglesrest

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Same issue here, brakes squealing in reverse. First heard it when I picked the car up, dealer tried to fix once without success and its back in next week. Dealer says there are lots of D4's suffering the same issue.

Post #60063010th Feb 2010 9:35 am
BATS

Stick

The dealer in Portsmouth has been really helpful, especially as I didn't buy the car from them; I can't fault them for their efforts. The real issue is that Land Rover have not served them well and given them enough support.

The truth of the matter is that Land Rover needs to build their cars properly in the first place ...... I really don't like being a beta tester and worrying about when the next breakdown is going to happen; it isn't a pleasant feeling ! Then again, maybe I should know better by now - I've had Land Rovers for over 20 years and they've all had their 'issues'.

BT

Post #60115710th Feb 2010 10:17 pm
stick

Thanks BATS

1. Good luck with getting problems sorted
2. I wonder how many days after delivery do we reckon my brakes start squealing?
3. I guess that as you have had LR's for 20 years I should be encouraged? I have never had one and reading this forum does give me the heebie-jeebies Confused Your first problem sounds widespread. And I don't suppose Land Rover Assistance include calming down wife in their spec? Rolling Eyes

I might get to learn the road very well to Hunters Southampton!

Post #60120510th Feb 2010 10:53 pm
Jesse B

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Hey Stick - relax! I think it's important to keep this all in perspective. From my experience with other forums re other vehicles (both 4 wheeled and 2) the majority of posts / threads deal with issues - you rarely hear from all those folk out there with the same vehicle who are not having issues, or don't consider them problematic enough to post them. I had read piles of "alarming" LR forum threads from both UK and down here in Oz - and I still went ahead and bought my D4 (my first Land Rover). And I have not yet remotely regretted it. Yes there are odd glitches to deal with, but I suspect it is this very quirkiness that actually attracts many of us - and keeps folk like BATS buying them over 20 years! And when all is said and done, the vehicle is astoundingly good, on and off road. Smile

Post #60128811th Feb 2010 1:35 am
stick

Thumbs Up

but..

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic46285.html

Rolling Eyes

Post #60154311th Feb 2010 2:25 pm
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I'd second Jesse B's comments. At least these aren't Toyotas, which reportedly have problems stopping or keep accelerating! As modern cars try to recover the energy of de-acceleration (the Prius recharges its big battery, the D4 charges it's not-so-big battery) there is inevitably a trade-off of efficiency vs reliability. Our modern vehicles are much less prone to catastrophic brake failure than ones of even 10 years ago. There are more "niggles" on the new ones but you don't often hear of both brake systems failing completely. I'd personaly rather have 10 "niggle" episodes than another "complete brake failure" episode (and that was in a Honda Civic 15 years ago).

If there'd been forums like this 20 years ago, it would be full of conversations about how to re-build engines, replacing main bearings, re-honing brake pistons, radiatior leaks, and replacing endless warped heads. Modern vehicles may be more expensive (although not that much more than inflation over 20-30 years) but they are much safer and more reliable. Perfect? That'll never happen but getting ever closer.
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #60192512th Feb 2010 4:25 am
highlandcow

Still Really Squeally

The D4 had the LR modification done last Saturday to solve the foot brake squeal while reversing and it's as worse as ever.

It'll be going in again in a couple of weeks to have the Assurance stuff done to the car's software and they'll get to hear the squeal then unless it beds in by then.

Post #62977730th Mar 2010 10:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >