DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Squeek from front wheel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
pauleline

Netherlands 
Squeek from front wheel

Hi all,

Lately, for no obvious reason, I have a nasty squeeking sound from the right hand side front wheel. It is really deafening at times, and that's with me inside the car! You'd love the looks I'm getting from pedestrians when driving in town ... Razz

What I've found out so far is that the sound come from the turning of the wheel, I can tell since it varies with the difference in speed of the car / revs of the wheels. It also seems that the sound is gone when the steering wheel is turned more than 1/2 a cycle to either side, but this is not always the case. And probably most important: the squeeking stops at once when you hit the brake pedal, even if it's only lightly, confirmed.

No warning lights or such anywhere on the dash.

A forum search didn't give me any clues so I put it up here hoping for some tips or solutions to solve this before I need to hand it over to the stealer!

Any input welcome, regards, Paul

Post #66638430th Jun 2010 8:23 am
Divlar

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Paul, have experienced this myself and in my case it was nothing more than a small pebble wedged up against brake disc?

Post #66639830th Jun 2010 9:05 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Could be a sticky brake caliper or possibly a wheel bearing if you've got no stones there.

I thought I had a noisy squeek and rumble from the front wheels and it turned out to be the REAR wheel bearing, so worth checking them all out.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #66641530th Jun 2010 9:41 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pauleline

Netherlands 

Hi Divlar,

Thanks for your reply. Thumbs Up

It sounds like it should be easy to solve. I take it I do need to take some action as this will not cure itself. Do I just take off the wheel and look for the pebble or did you have to take the brake apart and poke about with a tool?

Regards, Paul.

Post #66641730th Jun 2010 9:42 am
pauleline

Netherlands 

Hi Bodsy,

thanks to you as well for you reply. Could it be a wheel bearing when the squeek stops as soon as I touch the brake pedal? I would have thought that the bearing will continue to squeek even when brake applied. Could be wrong though.

Can I check the bearing myself or do I need to take it to the stealer? What do I do, jack up that car and look for play in teh wheel or some other trick?

Regards, Paul

Post #66641930th Jun 2010 9:49 am
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

My guessing is it will certainly be te REAR pads that are low, but just enough friction material left so as not to trigger the sensor. The Squeak is common from the rears on old style pads, hence LR changing design.

Happened to me, and I thought it was from the front, butchanged them and still was there, got a new style pad set for the rear and alls well

Post #66643430th Jun 2010 10:21 am
pauleline

Netherlands 

MacCleod, you Wizzard,

Spot on! I would have sworn the noise was from the front, as well did the SWMBO!. Turns out you're right! Shocked Thumbs Up

The right rear pads are virtualy gone. Visible to the naked eye with the help of a very nice bright Cree LED drop-in for my mini Mag! Comparing the four sides the right rear one was nowhere compared to the others. I could see the friction marks on the disc what will have caused the squeek.

Leaves me wondering why on one wheel the pads are almost gone while OK on others. The difference is between 4 and 6 mm, to me that's a lot. Am I wrong or should I look for some underlying problem?

Thanks again! Bow down

Post #66667830th Jun 2010 9:36 pm
pauleline

Netherlands 
Problem solved

Just to update you:

I had the problem sorted out this morning. Took it to the dealer and had them take a look. Turned out that the rear right pad was gone and the mechanism dirty / jammed so that caused the disproportional wear on the right side. New pads both sides and everything cleaned, greased etc. All 'n all for EUR 165,- including parts, labour and VAT. That's not too bad is it.

Permagrin restored once more. 8)

Post #6673272nd Jul 2010 11:32 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >