Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Steering angle sensor sleeve repair.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Good pictures Steve. They will help others. I discovered the sleeve on mine was not sliding around, so thought I would recalibrate the sensor and see if that fixes the issue of DSC kicking in on some bends. I just need non icy weather to test it! the Nanocom showed the "initial" angle at 15 and the "calibrated" as 0. I can check if that changes over time which could suggest the sleeve is not as well fixed as I think.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #22088898th Feb 2021 7:20 am
gseum

Germany 2010 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR4

Attention to this repair recommendation!
Heliart wrote:
Was able to push the adhesive just in the right place

Sorry Steve, but with this repair you glued also the steering angle sensor ("white parts") and not only the sensor ring ("yellow parts") which leads to problems if you have to change the SAS. Sad

With the following post I will discribe my repair, which I could only do with the knowledge of this thread - thanks to you all!

Best regards
gseum
 Discovery 4/LR4 HSE 5.0 V8 MY2010 // Volvo XC60 II T8 Inscription Fusion Red MY2020 // Hyundai Kona Electric Trend MY2020 // Bürstner TravelVan 620G MY2020 

Last edited by gseum on 20th Feb 2021 9:00 pm. Edited 4 times in total 
Post #221240820th Feb 2021 8:15 pm
gseum

Hi,

today was great weather and the temperatures were acceptable and then I started repairs.

Preliminary work: Remove the lower cover under the steering column -two Phillips screws under the steering wheel, unclip on the side of the center console and detach it with a little force on the door side, remove the plug from the lighting.

Working position and viewing angle for the photos: Lying on your back in the footwell, head next to the accelerator.

- Unscrew the steering angle sensor, 3 Torx screws

- Remove the connector from the steering angle sensor

- Carefully (!!!) push the steering angle sensor out of the way over the universal joint

- Generously degrease the plastic ring and metal of the steering column with brake cleaner - for me everything was slightly greasy around to the universal joint:

- Glue the plastic ring, I used Dekalin MS-5 as an MS polymer adhesive, is very resistant, longstanding, UV resistant and sticks very well:

- I have positioned the lugs parallel to the universal joint, it seems to me to be the original position (see pictures here in the thread)
- Apply enough glue so that the ring holds firmly but the sensor can still be attached
- Carefully turn the steering wheel 180 degrees so that glue can be applied to both sides

- To prevent the ring from shifting while it dries, I attached a cable tie between the steering column and the plastic ring, but be careful because if you pull it in too deep, you won't be able to cut it through afterwards

- Let the adhesive dry for a while, it should have at least initial strength
- Remove the cable tie again
- Carefully reposition the steering angle sensor, turn the recesses appropriately if necessary, tighten 3 screws again:

- Don't forget: apply grease to the universal joint again!

- Done, not nice to see with the grease, but should work again:

- Last step: Calibrate the steering angle sensor using the IID tool, this is essential because the position certainly does not match the previous one and the sensor has also been rotated in between.

I won't do a test drive until tomorrow after the MS adhesive has completely dried out, but I'm confident that everything is OK again.

Best regards from Germany
Jürgen
 Discovery 4/LR4 HSE 5.0 V8 MY2010 // Volvo XC60 II T8 Inscription Fusion Red MY2020 // Hyundai Kona Electric Trend MY2020 // Bürstner TravelVan 620G MY2020  
Post #221241320th Feb 2021 8:26 pm
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Just done mine last night as the Sensor ring has started to slip on my 2009 D3 - been like it for a couple of weeks so Ive been driving the D4 as every time I had time to sort it it was either snowing, freezing cold or persisting it down.

Used the Aryldite mixing syringe again - there's enough to do the job in one of their small 6ml syringe kits as posted before. It starts to set in 5 to 10 minutes - I left it overnight and have done 100 miles today to check its OK.

All good and working well - as before on the other D3s Ive done - its ideal as it is small enough to fit in the nozzle next to the ring without taking off anything, you can get your hand underneath, shine up a torch with a mirror you can easily get it in and where its needed to go, its an epoxy and it mixes as it squirts out so its awesome, squirt it in, leave it to set and "bobs your uncle" Thumbs Up

The last cars I've done it on have lasted over 50,000 miles with this fix, I don't see this one should be any different!
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #221244120th Feb 2021 9:34 pm
Heliart

United Kingdom 

gseum wrote:
Attention to this repair recommendation!
Heliart wrote:
Was able to push the adhesive just in the right place

Sorry Steve, but with this repair you glued also the steering angle sensor ("white parts") and not only the sensor ring ("yellow parts") which leads to problems if you have to change the SAS. Sad

With the following post I will discribe my repair, which I could only do with the knowledge of this thread - thanks to you all!

Best regards
gseum

That's good information, and your photos really show it clearly as I've not seen the ring before with the SAS removed. I hope I never have to change the SAS, but the thing with the glue I used it that it sets more like silicon when used in a thick bead (gap filling). The test pieces I did to check the glue's suitability are still flexibly joined - so I think it would be easier to remove compared to an epoxy glue applied in the same way. We are all learning.....

Post #221251421st Feb 2021 9:59 am
StevieD

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Are there any mobile mechanics in Surrey (Redhill) who would be able to recalibrate my steering angle sensor?

Thanks

Steve

Post #221255321st Feb 2021 1:33 pm
gseum

Yeah that’s a good question because it’s very important to calibrate.

Today I did the test drive and I calibrated before on my stone place before the house. This was not exactly enough so I got errors in masses. I did a new calibration on a flat road and everything was OK.
Post #221256221st Feb 2021 2:16 pm
gseum

The "stone place" is a gravel yard - sorry for bad translation. Wink
Post #221260721st Feb 2021 4:55 pm
bradleigh1977

United Kingdom 

I have the same problem!! I filmed my steering angle sensor while parked up. So can anyone tell me if this is what its meant to be doing? As when turning the wheel the yellow plastic thing is turning as well.... how do i upload a video to here?
 2007 2.7 GS Black 167000 FSH...  
Post #221294222nd Feb 2021 7:02 pm
gseum

I have a video in Youtube which shows the defect. The yellow ring is not moving correctly with the steering column.

Post #221295822nd Feb 2021 7:52 pm
keleon1473

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Possible SAS Fault

Last week I ended up with the dreaded christmas tree effect dashboard. Using my Icarsoft LR2 diagnostic tool I cleared most of the faults , but are consistently getting a C0051 Steering Wheel Position Sensor DTC.

Having read this informative thread i discovered the yellow ring of the SAS was slightly loose. Only rotated about 1/4" back and forward. I have now glued this and it appears quite solid, but i am still getting the same fault code.

I have attempted numerous recalibrations without success. I have noted on the live datastream that the sensor reading remains fixed at 5773.50 degrees even after a recalibration. I am now thinking it is the actual SAS causing the issues as the ring only slightly moved when using a decent level of force.

I will be ordering a replacement sensor, but amleft wondering whether i will simply be able to recalibrate the new sensor or will it need a complete recode?

Anyone else has similar issues and are there any other simple fixes you can think of?

Post #227552928th Jan 2022 3:32 pm
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

heres a video of the issue from a different angle

are you sure the two rings havent bonded together as this can then cause issues when calibrating - you are bonding the inner ring to the shaft and the outer ring should still have the ability to float if that makes sense. Might be worth getting a video of the movement of the sensor ring to check it moves freely when the wheel is rotating

Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #227555928th Jan 2022 5:59 pm
Chriscslm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Baltic BlueDiscovery 3

I have had the same issue with my D3 and found this YouTube video very helpful.

Hope it helps.

Post #228902924th Apr 2022 8:50 am
john watson

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Torx size re the mounting screws on the body unit anyone

Thanks in advance
 Once you have defeated the idiots any job is half done. Pity there are so many idiots to defeat.  
Post #228928626th Apr 2022 10:45 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi John

Does this u in any way

https://new.lrcat.com/#!/12128/40484/41185/3181

Post #228929026th Apr 2022 11:21 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >