Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Stop / Start
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
BBDisco3

United Kingdom 

I think the reason of "too many variables" is just an easy "excuse" for the dealer to hand the vehicle back with the fault still evident.

It was only after pressure and several almost daily visits to the dealer that my main battery was replaced in June. It worked without fault until I drained the battery one day two weeks ago. The Ctek put things right and even today with snow on the ground, it has operated without fail no matter what else may have been on at the time which includes air con, heated seats, heated windows, headlights etc. Perhaps not all at the same time but suffient variables to see it still working.

I was having all the same issues as most of you until the battery was replaced. Put pressure on your dealer for new batteries - you have nothing to lose Thumbs Up

This is almost a repertision of the ambient temperature display issue we had when we were told there was nothing wrong - persevere until you get satisfaction.

Post #18882789th Dec 2017 3:58 pm
jonno1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

persevere until you get satisfaction.

That is exactly what you must do. I chased my ex dealership for 14 months before they finally replaced the main battery which was not up to the job. They attempted to charge me for this but once it was pointed out that the initial concerns were noted while the car was within the factory warranty they went quiet. However, I did discover that they had tried to claim through my extended warranty (LR). Fortunately the claim was rejected and my new battery was replaced courtesy of JLR Customer Services (apparently).

The alternative cause is the Gateway Module which especially on MY14 is prone to fail BUT is a pain to replace despite an active TSB. Owners should note that when wiring stuff like Blackvues etc. the fuse numbers change from MY14 and will cause problems if the same ones from the earlier cars are used for perm + and ign+. Make this error and some dealerships may well use this as leverage for charging.

Had all the lectures about lack of use etc. and they went quiet after being shown the ticket stubs for repeated trips to Paris. (Twice weekly).

Stop/start has been working perfectly well since main battery change. It will not always work is full a/c is on or if all passenger comforts are engaged but is quickly restored when charging rate allows.
The Dealership who serviced my LR's and Jags for 10 years is now history.
New management seemed to use the mantra of dealer omnipotence-owner subservience. i have sent feedback to LR and their response is surprisingly sympathetic.

Post #18883789th Dec 2017 8:33 pm
EMcC

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I have just had my Winter safety check and as I hadn't had a stop start feature for over a year mentioned it before it went in.
The mechanic said it needed a new battery at a cost of £297.59 and was not covered by warranty !!
I said that I would take it up with LR customer services if that was the case as it meant I had been sold a brand new Discovery with a battery that only lasted 12 months !
After a bit of umming and arring it was decided it was covered under the warranty but they had none in stock as they had never had one die before so it is now booked in to be replaced in January.
They also stated that my tracking was 'out a little' and that was definitely not covered by the warranty and would cost me £273.00 to put right !! I am not sure whether that price covered labour either, I told them I'd get the wheels balanced first and they could then have another look when it comes in for the replacement battery.
I have never had a Disco that had tracking 'out a little' before so now am wondering if these things are 'introduced' just before Christmas to help the garages Christmas money pot, nahh a landrover garage wouldn't do such a thing -would they Wink

Post #189296921st Dec 2017 11:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
EMcC

Well that's it, D4 went in today for the new Stop/start battery, took them four hours !!
When I queried the time at the three hour period 'It is nearly finished' I was told.
At the four hour period out it came and was told the time it took was because 'the battery had to be charged '
Now the battery was ordered before Christmas for fitting today.
Do new batteries not come pre charged and if not why was it not charged ready for putting on today ? I asked, answered with a shrug !!
As for the 'Tracking being out a little' I had the wheels balanced and swopped round, at the time the tyres were checked and found to have no uneven wear so no indication of 'Tracking being out a little'
Just to give it a test I did a run of speeds up to 95mph for about ten miles and found no wobble or vibration so it would seem my D4 healed itself over the Christmas break Smile

Post #18976684th Jan 2018 10:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BBDisco3

United Kingdom 

And does your stop/start work Whistle

Post #18976704th Jan 2018 10:59 pm
EMcC

Funny you should ask that - I didn't notice as I was late going home and had other things on my mind.
I'll report back tomorrow Smile

Post #18976764th Jan 2018 11:06 pm
markate

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

My stop/start wasn't working when it went in for its second service. Told the Dealer and they carried out a software update to the Gateway Module and lo and behold stop/start now works again.

Post #18976965th Jan 2018 7:02 am
EMcC

Well here we go again !
I stopped at a three way traffic light on red, after a while you wonder if the lights are working because it takes so long to change.
Engine continued ticking over nicely then, just as the lights changed, my engine Stop/star kicked in just as I was pulling away !
Does anybody know how long the engine has to idle before the S/S kicks in ?
I don't remember it taking so long when I first got the vehicle.

Post #18978315th Jan 2018 1:44 pm
BBDisco3

United Kingdom 

It appears to be more the pressure on the foot brake which determines the stop/start to activate. If you only apply light pressure it doesn't seem to turn off the engine. Thumbs Up

Post #18978325th Jan 2018 1:47 pm
EMcC

I'll give that a try when I go out again, light footed brake pedal Smile

It's now evening and I have tried the hard brake, soft brake and every other brake combination possible and the bl***y stop/start still does not work Sad
I am realty annoyed, being a decorated, disabled veteran I expected it to work, perhaps the vehicle doesn't know who I am Wink
Oh dear got a bit carried away then, blame that on me reading one of the other posts Smile
Anyway, I told the garage, who were very apologetic and couldn't understand why it should not work having had a new battery installed.
I am very short of time for the next few days and am then going to Hungary for a week so cannot do anything until the 17th at the earliest so now they know that still I have the problem, they can get ready for when I return !!

Post #18978355th Jan 2018 1:51 pm
JackNorris

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Yep, get heavy footed.

The foot brake pressure is good, means you can effectively decide when you want SS kicking in and when you don't.
 MY2023 Discovery 5 R-Dynamic 3.0
MY2020 Discovery 5 Landmark 3.0 - SOLD
MY2005 Discovery 3 V8 4.4 HSE - SOLD
MY2019 Discovery 5 SE 3.0 - LR Replaced !
MY2005 Discovery 3 S 2.7 - SOLD
MY2016 Discovery 4 Graphite - SOLD
MY2015 Discovery 4 SE Tech - SOLD 

Post #18980245th Jan 2018 9:17 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

EMcC wrote:

I am realty annoyed, being a decorated, disabled veteran I expected it to work, perhaps the vehicle doesn't know who I am Wink

EMcC wrote:
Oh dear got a bit carried away then, blame that on me reading one of the other posts Smile

Sooooo glad to read the 2nd bit. beginning to think it was catching. Laughing

Post #18980265th Jan 2018 9:29 pm
F4BUP

United Kingdom 

same in my BM x drive. brake pressure determines S/S activation. stop on a light pedal and it'll keep running.

Batteries are so bloody expensive now. AGM tech so DEEP cycle. the one on my clubsports £380 Rolling Eyes

progress eh.

Post #18980285th Jan 2018 9:34 pm
EMcC

Apart from putting my boot through the floor, I have done everything else and the S/S still doesn't work.
So have ruled out the hard brake pressure test.

Post #18980785th Jan 2018 11:44 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

EMcC wrote:
Well here we go again !
I stopped at a three way traffic light on red, after a while you wonder if the lights are working because it takes so long to change.
Engine continued ticking over nicely then, just as the lights changed, my engine Stop/star kicked in just as I was pulling away !
Does anybody know how long the engine has to idle before the S/S kicks in ?
I don't remember it taking so long when I first got the vehicle.

Doesn't mean there is a fault though. The car checks many things before activating start stop each and every time. Maybe at the point you stopped the coolant temp was one degree below the threshold, in the x seconds you were stopped it warmed up one degree threshold met so car turns off. Maybe the outside temp was one degree too cold and warmed up one degree whilst you were stopped, maybe the battery voltage was one volt too low and increased whilst you were stopped etc etc you get the idea.

Someone said that the car checks over 20 different parameters every time before deciding whether to turn off or not. Those parameters can also change when you have stopped moving so sometimes it will stop or restart later or earlier than you expect. With so many parameters you wouldn't expect the behaviour to appear particularly consistent.

Post #18980805th Jan 2018 11:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >