Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Stop and Start
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Read this post earlier in the thread Neil.

Although it may not be 100% correct, I think it is along the right lines.

Also as CW has said, BMW will have it on the auto cars in a while - ISTR that Mercedes are also hoping to have it working on autos in a couple of years too....
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #50851417th Aug 2009 8:12 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

BMW are launching it on their new 8 speed auto diesel 5 series, but not at launch. It was in Autocar magazine which I was reading at the Land Rover dealer today.

Post #50851717th Aug 2009 8:18 pm
Craig S-L

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Re the aircon comment - the compressor is the Prius electrically driven so just runs off the traction battery when you are stationary, it also has electric elements for heating - if you are in a really slow jam (M25 western section most days currently) I get about 20-25 miles stop/start before the engine automatically kicks in when stationary, as the traction battery gets exhausted. It runs for about 10 mins to boost the battery and then stops again.

As I put earlier, as a piece of engineering it is excellent and well executed, but as a car.............. Whistle
 Craig

2015 D? SDV6 HSE Loire Blue
2009 D4 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
2006 G4 Challenge V8 HSE (Gone, but fuel bills not forgotten!)
Media Support Vehicle Stage 1 & 2 Thailand and Laos
Driven by Rudi Thoelen, 2003 Winner 

Post #50856317th Aug 2009 9:47 pm
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Some very interesting discussion here.

Firstly I am certain that few manufacturers would research/design/fit a lot of safety and emissions control equipment unless they were forced to. The same applies IMHO to consumers, we would not pay for kit such as EGR (especially given the known failure rate) if we weren't forced too. There are a lot of people with older cars now facing replacement of catalytic converters at huge expense, sometimes more than a car is worth.

There doesn't seem to be much clear evidence of the efficiency of Stop/Start. The improvements in fuel economy and emissions are based around the government test of Urban and Extra Urban cycles, which contain a considerable amount of stop/start driving with relatively long periods stopped. They are not very real world, and have been criticised for this by environmentalists.

I am on my second Mini equipped with Stop/Start and whilst the systems work really well and you soon get used to them, it always feels like the engine is not stopped for long enough to actually make it worth it. That's just a feeling as I really can't work out a way of testing it without devising a repeatable test route. I do a lot of driving in traffic mostly via the A40/M40 into London and quite a bit around central London. Only once has the Sop/Start got to the stage where there wasn't enough battery for it to stop the engine and that was a cold dark night in gridlock in the city.

Just a last little point, S/S is only available on Manual cars as far as I am aware, reducing substantially the number of larger or more premium vehicles it can be fitted to. Maybe the next generation S/S will be able to engage neutral before shutting down the engine, re-start then engage Drive. Such a system would seem impractical at the moment due to the amount of time an auto box takes to actually engage.
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #50889818th Aug 2009 5:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Stop Start is on auto boxes now. This explains how it works. I just don't think it is in a production car until later this year.

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1024345...capability

Post #50890318th Aug 2009 5:39 pm
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

YIKES Shocked

Well that shot me down in flames.......8 speed......Hydraulic oil pressure reservoir........sounds pricey!!
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #50891618th Aug 2009 6:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dejongj

United Kingdom 

I am still bemused by all this excitement on this "new" technology. I cant fully remember but it was 1994 or 1995 when I was still living in holland and had a vw golf diesel cabrio with a stop start system. It was great and I am pleased to see it is finally coming to the uk. I think it would suit the disco really well.

I wouldn't pay extra for the dpf. My personal tax avoidance scheme has got one installed, can't get an auto without it. However the euro 3 models without the dpf use at least 6mpg less than the euro iv compliant models so go figure which is the cleanest in real terms.
 Jean-Paul  
Post #52167617th Sep 2009 11:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >