DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Strange Suspension Issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
essee

Wales 
Strange Suspension Issue

Strange Suspension Issue.

Well, it's strange to me, because it's different from most of the posts on this forum, but it might be something you've all heard before.

A little background for you. My bro-in-law has an '06 TDV6 SE, with about 150k miles. He's not really a car guy so has neglected numerous fault warnings, one of which is the suspension. He's now bought a Freelander and I'm considering buying his LR3, but I just want to make sure this suspension issue isn't going to bankrupt me. If other issues come along after I've bought it, then fair enough.

We've noticed that it was sinking on all corners over night. So there's gotta be a leak somewhere, right? Could explain why the compressor never seems to switch off with the car running. It's like it's constantly compensating for a leak.

One of the fabulous forum members here, ukturbo, was kind enough to answer my cry for a local code reader, and spent an hour with me checking through what codes were there and what to consider, etc.

The only two suspension related codes were:

1. C1A13-64 ( 28 ) Pressure does not decrease when venting gallery - Triggered on 11-10-2017 20:03
2. C1A20-64 ( 28 ) Pressure increases too slow when filling reservoir - Triggered on 18-09-2015 10:34

1, suggests a possible blockage from the tank. 2, a leak. However, both are from years ago.

After some more reading, I pulled fuse 26 in the engine bay (and fuse 3) and noticed only the front dropped over night. This usually points towards a leak at the front valve block.

However, this is the odd part. While under the car, spraying everything with soapy water, I saw no bubbles around the front valve block or compressor, but there's definitely a hissing sound coming from the compressor. It might be an internal air leak, because there were no bubbles. Couldn't see a crack around the dryer cover and no bubbles there either.

So, am I to believe I have two different faults? Possible front valve block issue and a compressor related issue?

On a side note, I love what you guys are doing with this forum. I've noticed so many automotive forums disappear into the mess that is Facebook. Completely unusable!

Thanks in advance,
David.
 Dave.  
Post #205690229th May 2019 1:19 pm
johnlad

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

If it’s the original reservoir then it’s probably rusted through on top so I’d replace that to stay

Post #205690629th May 2019 2:18 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hissing sound could be the exhaust valve on the compressor. There is a valve block just in front of the compressor. It could be worthwhile taking the compressor out and refurbishing it. Lots of kits available.

Post #205706930th May 2019 3:12 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >