Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Super Extended Mode - Why won't it work?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
TwelveSticks

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Super Extended Mode - Why won't it work?

OK, so in my continuing quest to find a way to take my sills off without resorting to taking the wheels off (http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic61111.html), I tried to get the car up into Super Extended Mode to see if that would give me enough room. I used the basic technique described by redjelly5000 elsewhere (http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic48012.html), and sure enough, she went up into what she claimed was Extended Mode. However, I have my doubts - having got out and looked at her, she was nowhere near as elevated as the D3s in the photos in the other thread.

What's more, when I then tried to get her to go up even more, into Super Extended Mode, it didn't work. I merely got the message saying "Suspension will raise when system cools". The suspension had only been jacked up once at this point, so it isn't as if I'd had it bouncing up and down and it was 'tired'.

Now, last summer I had a complete suspension failure and the compressor was replaced under warranty. However, this now suggests to me that something else may be wrong as well. So... come on chaps - what could be wrong? Leaky bags, perhaps? Any ideas? Is there anything I could easily check myself? The car went out of warranty last week, so this is a slight concern for the future...
 2001 D2 GS (I must be mad!)
2005 D3 S 10-12 (gone and missed) 

Post #75334628th Jan 2011 11:30 am
MARKW

United Kingdom 

I took the plastic sils off my D3 in offroad height. This was to fit the sills made by RLD.

AFAIK you can't manually set it to go to super extended mode. You have to be stuck with the chassis rails stuck and all four wheels spinning.
 HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE

They shall not grow old as those of us left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condem. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning WE WILL REMEMBER THEM 

Post #75339228th Jan 2011 1:42 pm
TwelveSticks

I'm led to believe that, once the car puts itself into Extended Mode (which you can make it do by first putting one wheel on something significantly higher than the others and then selecting Access Height), then you can manually select Super Extended Mode by a) putting it in neutral, b) putting your foot on the brake and c) pushing the 'up' switch for 3-4 seconds. This apparently results in a 'bong' and another inch of height (making it about 3 inches higher than normal Off-road Mode).

However, as I say, in my case it got to what it claimed (on the LCD screen) to be Extended Mode, but I couldn't get it to go into Super Extended using the above procedure - though the warning about it needing to cool suggests that it may well have tried, but sadly failed for some reason. Sad

Post #75339428th Jan 2011 1:54 pm
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

i find the easiest way to get super extend is to get bogged down in deep mud good and proper,, after about 10 seconds of all four wheels begging for something to grip the CPU decides to let me have super extend for a bit.. Thumbs Up Wink
 one wife.......livid  
Post #75339628th Jan 2011 2:11 pm
MARKW

United Kingdom 

Rather than mud, which takes ages to clean I found the sand in Morocco did it and the car was still clean Thumbs Up Rolling with laughter
 HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE

They shall not grow old as those of us left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condem. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning WE WILL REMEMBER THEM 

Post #75340828th Jan 2011 2:30 pm
ad15

yeh but sand plays havoc on the metal bits,,, Big Cry
 one wife.......livid  
Post #75341928th Jan 2011 2:47 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

TwelveSticks wrote:
I'm led to believe that, once the car puts itself into Extended Mode (which you can make it do by first putting one wheel on something significantly higher than the others and then selecting Access Height), then you can manually select Super Extended Mode by a) putting it in neutral, b) putting your foot on the brake and c) pushing the 'up' switch for 3-4 seconds. This apparently results in a 'bong' and another inch of height (making it about 3 inches higher than normal Off-road Mode).

However, as I say, in my case it got to what it claimed (on the LCD screen) to be Extended Mode, but I couldn't get it to go into Super Extended using the above procedure - though the warning about it needing to cool suggests that it may well have tried, but sadly failed for some reason. Sad

This method does work ...I have a picture somewhere of my first D3 on Chapel Gate lane in "Giraffe mode". Ground the vehicle so it goes into extended mode, then use brake and lever method to go into super dooper extended...I suspect that your compressor was a bit exhausted and this is why it would not do it for you Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #75342628th Jan 2011 3:08 pm
TwelveSticks

Yeah DG - I suspect something's like that too. But that's what's worrying me, because the compressor was new last summer. Today, the car had only been driven a couple of miles in Normal Mode, then asked to go to Off-road Height, then down to Access Height, and then it took itself into Extended. If it's 'out of puff' after just that, then frankly it's Censored useless! Hence why I suspect something (other than the compressor itself) must be amiss... Sad

Post #75343028th Jan 2011 3:30 pm
TwelveSticks

I went out and tried again, and this time took some photos of the results (see below). It seems that the car did get into Extended Mode okay, but that the front (at least) wouldn't get into Super Extended mode. Note the 'dip' at the front at the end of this sequence.

I'm wondering if this means I have a leak at the front somewhere...?

Post #75346428th Jan 2011 4:30 pm
ad15

looks like some sort of breakdancing D3... 8)

not sure about the front though Question
 one wife.......livid  
Post #75346928th Jan 2011 4:46 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Or a duff height sensor,

Post #75347028th Jan 2011 4:47 pm
pjv

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Barf - seasick Exclamation

Post #75348428th Jan 2011 5:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >