Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Suspension air pipe blanks
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Mikeyb

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Suspension air pipe blanks

Im chasing the dreaded "gallery too slow to pressurise "fault. Having rebuilt all three solonoid valve blocks with no improvement, I'm thinking to start sectioning off the system to try and narrow the fault down. The compressor is a Hitatchi type and is only around 4 years old, it has a bit of puff with thumb over end of disconnected outlet pipe but don't have any way to compare with new!

For those who have done this before, how can I make / where can I source some blanks? I'm thinking I need a combination of fittings to blank off pipes and plugs to balck off the centre valve block (or possibly even some bypass loops?

Need these asap as only a few days left to fix the car before needed for holiday!
 Not such a Disco Newbie now!
IID BT 

Post #23255285th Feb 2023 6:43 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Leak in air tank ?

Spray soapy water on tank and then start car and look for bubbles

Post #23255305th Feb 2023 7:06 pm
Mikeyb

Sorry no, should have said new air tank also 4 years ago, currently sitting on the deck having been sprayed with no signs of leakage.
IID BT 

Post #23255315th Feb 2023 7:09 pm
Mikeyb

Compressor is also irritating - only runs for 10 secs or so before yellow warning lamp illuminates and it cuts out. Will reset with IID but does same again.
IID BT 

Post #23255325th Feb 2023 7:11 pm
CDS
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Have you looked at the live values for the compressor and suspension on the IID Tool?

Discovery 3/4 & RRS keys cut and programmed at your home or work
Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto retro fit - see it here
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blanking
Software updates/ enabling
Mobile Servicing & Repairs

Post #23255806th Feb 2023 12:46 am
pwheeldon

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I'd search for Gstuarts thread on this as he pretty much rebuilt his suspension and carries out pressure tests to find faults.
 Discovery 4 GS 2009 Auto Stornoway Grey
Discovery 3 s 2005 Auto Bonatti Grey Gone
Discovery 3 SE 2005 Manual Zambezi Silver Gone
Range Rover Sport HSE 2006 Black
Aston Martin DB7 VV 

Post #23255926th Feb 2023 5:24 am
loanrangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Mikeyb wrote:
Compressor is also irritating - only runs for 10 secs or so before yellow warning lamp illuminates and it cuts out. Will reset with IID but does same again.

Gallery filling slowly can also bee a blocked filter in the compressor, you say hitachi type so does that mean its a cheap knockoff - that is likely your problem.

Post #23256096th Feb 2023 10:22 am
Mikeyb

Just checked, it was a Dunlop from the LR Centre, just under 4 years old but had not done massive miles.
I too am starting to suspect it, pressure can be felt if you put a thumb over the outlet when running but I have no benchmark new to compare it with.

I did have a quick look inside the dryer, without digging or emptying, the glass beads under the felt pad looked whole and relatively dust free.

IID not showing a lot of pressure when looking at live gallery pressure - circa 200 kPa when running, dropping back to 100 kpA or so when cutting out after 10 secs.

I don't want to splash out on a new one without being certain that I have no leaks or other faults.
IID BT 

Post #23256806th Feb 2023 8:18 pm
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

Last edited by Flatlander on 21st Feb 2023 11:10 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #23256846th Feb 2023 9:01 pm
Mikeyb

Good call on the exhaust port, I had forgotten about that, thanks.
I can't visulise an air inlet pipe whilst sitting at my nice cosy computer, even after looking up the schematic?

EDIT: Ah, i've read a bit further and got it, thanks. Will try tomorrow. Is the filter a routine service item?
IID BT 

Post #23256886th Feb 2023 9:46 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

pwheeldon wrote:
I'd search for Gstuarts thread on this as he pretty much rebuilt his suspension and carries out pressure tests to find faults.

Bless u and indeed was certainly a saga that’s for sure , worse still I really enjoyed going through it step by step Laughing

Post #23256996th Feb 2023 11:41 pm
gstuart

Mikeyb wrote:
Good call on the exhaust port, I had forgotten about that, thanks.
I can't visulise an air inlet pipe whilst sitting at my nice cosy computer, even after looking up the schematic?

EDIT: Ah, i've read a bit further and got it, thanks. Will try tomorrow. Is the filter a routine service item?

Hiya

Plus 1 what’s been mentioned , also wished to share some data and link which I really hope is useful

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic186905.html?highlight=Pushfit

just checked in that thread where I linked to several parts etc , see some don’t work anymore, if u get stuck for wanting bits etc plse feel free to give me a shout and will find them for u

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #23257006th Feb 2023 11:46 pm
Mikeyb

Much appreciated Gary, thanks very much. I had been looking for your thread following recommendation from someone else! This forum is a great resource but due to its vast and varied content is not always easy to find exactly what you are looking for easily!

Alas I'm running out of time, with a ferry beckoning in a few days time. Will do some more head scratching today but very little time left to wait for parts to arrive Sad
IID BT 

Post #23257187th Feb 2023 8:16 am
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

Last edited by Flatlander on 21st Feb 2023 11:10 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #23257197th Feb 2023 8:20 am
gstuart

Mikeyb wrote:
Much appreciated Gary, thanks very much. I had been looking for your thread following recommendation from someone else! This forum is a great resource but due to its vast and varied content is not always easy to find exactly what you are looking for easily!

Alas I'm running out of time, with a ferry beckoning in a few days time. Will do some more head scratching today but very little time left to wait for parts to arrive Sad

Ur so very welcome , always nice being able to pass it on for when I had to virtually tear my entire suspension system apart after I just bought it due to so many bodges etc , it had more leaks than a colander , lol

Indeed as suggested check the air inlet filter that sits in the boot side locker , drivers side , enclosed a picture , it’s the round black canister , bottom left of the picture , can access it via the small removable hatch , it can be awkward getting to the filter material inside ,

must confess a quick cheat is to pull off the bottom pipe off the compressors end cap , at least then if it doesn’t make any difference u can just push the pipe back on

The top dryer outlet is ur exhaust so only time u should feel pressure coming out is when it vents the excess pressure

There are a few options with regards to the compressor , use ur gap iid to watch the live data to see if it reaches the Psi data from the spec sheet , or to completely isolate the compressor from the rest of the system is to remove it

Then placing it onto a bench , using a 12 volt battery , turn it on and see if u can very easily block the outlet with ur finger , ideally a pressure gauge is better but your be able to tell of the pressure is extremely poor

If that’s the case really need to check the dryer , know u said u had a quick look but never know some material might have clumped together and blocked the inlet inside at the bottom of the dryer

Silica can be dried out in the microwave

U can get rebuild kits but personally I fitted a new compressor , along with using stainless steel nuts/ bolts to ensure they came undone next time

Before I forget if u do remove the compressor u might need new clips / bolts for the bracket that fixes to the chassis , plus of course u might also have a leak in the system , but indeed that takes time to go through the system

Hope that gives u a head start seeing u haven’t got much time , fingers crossed can get it done before ur booked to go away

Ps, just thought seeing u have limited time wonder if it’s worth ordering a new compressor just in case , if it’s not used at least u have one as a spare

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #23257247th Feb 2023 9:06 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >