Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Suspension Fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Sailterry

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3
Suspension Fault

Hi Guys

System fault suspension fault on my landrover discovery 3 2006. I have read post on here re compressor so got a refurb kit and replaced air dryer cover with new aluminium one, replaced all the seals cleaned out same and replaced the silicon beads as well. Removed piston and replaced with new ring liner cap etc. Replaced all o rings and dismantled the electric motor to check that out all ok. Before refitting the compressor i connected all plugs and started engine to check it runs hey presto it works until suspension fault as the air lines were not connected. I cleared the fault and started again and compressor works and seemsto be ok.

Got the refurb air pipe connector kit with the connectors for 8 & 10mm air lines. So put compressor back onto the bracket (nightmare) connected everything up started engine expecting car to rise and no still sitting on the stops so disappointed giving all the work i put in. I purchased an icarsoft code reader to check and clear codes but clearly have another problem. I did an automatic diagnostic on the car and these are the fault codes I got

P140D
P0404
U0102
C1131
C1A20
U0421
B1b02
B1b70
B1C57
U0155
B1A00
U3000

Not knowing what these are any ideals what I should for test or replace really would like to get this car back onto the road

Many thanks

Terry
 Love My wife, kids, Family, Radio Sailing and D3  
Post #19510075th Jun 2018 6:08 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Go here: https://bellautoservices.co.uk and type each code into the search engine ( bottom left ) and it'll tell you what each code means. Discard the U codes just search all the others.
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #19510115th Jun 2018 6:21 pm
z1234567890

United Arab Emirates 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3
Re: Suspension Fault

Sailterry wrote:
Hi Guys

System fault suspension fault on my landrover discovery 3 2006. I have read post on here re compressor so got a refurb kit and replaced air dryer cover with new aluminium one, replaced all the seals cleaned out same and replaced the silicon beads as well. Removed piston and replaced with new ring liner cap etc. Replaced all o rings and dismantled the electric motor to check that out all ok. Before refitting the compressor i connected all plugs and started engine to check it runs hey presto it works until suspension fault as the air lines were not connected. I cleared the fault and started again and compressor works and seemsto be ok.

Got the refurb air pipe connector kit with the connectors for 8 & 10mm air lines. So put compressor back onto the bracket (nightmare) connected everything up started engine expecting car to rise and no still sitting on the stops so disappointed giving all the work i put in. I purchased an icarsoft code reader to check and clear codes but clearly have another problem. I did an automatic diagnostic on the car and these are the fault codes I got

P140D
P0404
U0102
C1131
C1A20
U0421
B1b02
B1b70
B1C57
U0155
B1A00
U3000

Not knowing what these are any ideals what I should for test or replace really would like to get this car back onto the road

Many thanks

Terry

dont waste your time, if you believe compressor is damaged, buy a new one, but, leakage may comes from compressor or air valve (front, center, rear)or the air suspension bag itself

Post #19513056th Jun 2018 6:15 pm
z1234567890

United Arab Emirates 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

I use dunlop and it's OK, hitachi is OEM but more expensive

Post #19513076th Jun 2018 6:15 pm
Sailterry

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks for response i am getting new reservoir arriving tomorrow hopefully I am also checking valve blocks and renewing o rings after clean up, yes new compressor may be the way to go. If still have problem it must be a leak in the air line or one of the bags but this is a nightmare Big Cry

Mind you all you guys are so helpful on this forum I need to remove the reservoir but its raining so will wait until tomorrow, then I take the valve blocks out. Do I remove all 3 front middle and rear?

Then replace reservoir then connect all wiring batttery etc and see what happens fingers crossed

Thumbs Up
Post #19515647th Jun 2018 2:21 pm
Skynet

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

I worked on mine over the past week changing the rear valve block. Mine would only rise on the rear nearside bag. Turns out that I had 2 corroded wires to the block. One wire was a small split that had corroded through, the other was a contact at the connector. I didn't notice them until I actively examined the cables.
Worth a look...
 Dave
D3 2006 HSE, Cairns Blue - gone
D4 2016 SE, White

Wessex 4x4 Response
http://www.wessex4x4response.org.uk/ 

Post #19515717th Jun 2018 2:34 pm
Sailterry

Pipe Repair Kit

I have seen pipe repair kits that have the 8 & 10mm plastic replacement pipes and brass inserts.

Do the brass insert insert all the way in the plastic tubes or do they just insert upto the ridge that is 4/5 mm from the end of the brass tube?

The J shaped pipe is this for the connection from valve block to dryer on compressor? And I guess the voss connector is the replacement for same into valve block

I am working on removing air reservoir and o ring replacement on all valve blocks today so any feedback would be appreciated

Terry
Post #19518248th Jun 2018 10:16 am
Sailterry

Air reservoir tank arrived today, also got new bolts to fit, and new wheel liner clips for replacement. I have cut a slot in the compressor bracket for that top bolt to help in installation by have the bolt remain on the chassis and can tighten up using a rachet ring spanner. Fixed front valve block, so just got the other 2 to do.

Now to tackle those rusted in bolts on the air tank

Do t know on the pipe connection inserts do they go all the way into the plastic pipe any feedback would be helpful.

Bitting the bullet ordered new compressor so hopefully that will arrive wednesday / Thursday

Post #19522019th Jun 2018 5:00 pm
Sailterry

Rock and roll D3 off of the bump stops

Ok this has been a nightmare sorting the suspension out.

Redfurb compressor (air dryer filters, face plate new air hose) Suspension fault remained
Bench tested compressor and was working so removed front and middle valve blocks and cleaned them, refitted new o rings suspension fault remained

Bite the bullet time

Purchased new air reservoir and new compressor. Fitted both Eureka all worked suspension up down up down no problems.

Now a few things to know about before you install a refurb kit on your old compressor bench test it to ensure its working.

Check your valve blocks and clean them out if you find white powder residue. The pipe repair kit make sure you use the brass inserts and insert them into the pipes collar end first. I used Disco mikey sugestion of warming the pipes first (jug of hot water) to help ease the brass tubes in.

I also cur a slot on the compressor bracket for the top bolt to help installation for me it was an easy solution during the compressor install only fit the top bolt with washer to the compressor and rotate the compressor away from the pivot peg. This allows a little more room to secure the top chassis bracket bolt.

Remember to install the top insulated cover before fitting the bracket. It wont go in after.

I install the air reservoir follwing instructions from this forum but if you do attemp to replace this item do wd40 all the 4 bolts for at least 3/4 days as these bolts tend to be well rusted in. I used Irvin bolt gripper but still had to drill out one of the front bolts to remove old. Replace is straight forward.

Lastly make sure you apply copper grease on all bolts (stainless steel) to ease install but will help in future mainternance if required.

Car rides well now and about to wash it down as it will need an mot tomorrow or Thursday

Old air reservoir tank

Had to drill out front bolt on air reservoir

Brass insert after imersing in hot water

New tank ready for install

New compressor

Front and back wheels on the up

Car on drive at normal height after test drive

HAPPY BUNNY

Thanks for your help and guidance really appreciated

Terry
Post #195318012th Jun 2018 3:29 pm
Sailterry

New Mot passed

Yesterday booked my disco 3 into mot testing station at Longshot Bracknell it passed with 4 advisory

1 chip on number plate
2 chip on windscreen ( which was very low down and did not see it) that be fixed this weekend
3 corrosion on the underside
4 FNS arm a little play

All in all I was worried about the new test as the car was sitting on drive since December but all is good

Now to drive my car and enjoy
Post #195367614th Jun 2018 5:59 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >