Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Suspension fault, max 30 mph
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Sweden 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Suspension fault, max 30 mph

First actual problem with since we got our 05 TDV6 HSE auto a couple of months ago.

Driving along at 90 km/h got several bongs and a message saying "suspension fault, max speed 30 mph" and red suspension light. Did not notice any affect on the ride so continued the trip and went back home.
The fault message returns at engine start every time, amber light and suspension fault until above 30mph then I get maximum speed 30mph and light turns red.
Vehicle sits reasonbly level and not on bump stops, but compressor does not seem to running.
Have tried battery disconnect, no improvement.
Took off compressor cover, nothing strange, compressor looks quite new and clean.
Looking at 4x4 screen, level indicators seems normal.
Temperature here is between -5 and -15 since weeks back, and D3 quite covered in snow and ice, so I put it in the garage now in an attempt to get it at least above freezing.

I just ordered the Faultmate FCR and will try to get it to a dealer after the holidays, but if anyone has any input on the cause, it would be much appreciated.

Post #57224031st Dec 2009 4:10 pm
SHARKYSHARKS

England 

Sorry to hear about your fault same thing happened to mine and it was the pump and im now on the third ... well thats if you dealer can get hold of one, oh don't do like i did and raise and lower suspension or your disco will end up on its a..e and it will be one hell of a bumpy ride till it/s repaired ..good luck
 MY18 D5 HSE LUX😎
MY12 Freelander SD4 HSE
44 Tonne 12 Litre 6x2 Scania T cab (Current)
Freelander 1 (Wrote off 😫)
Ex D1
Ex D2 GS
Ex V8 D2 GS
Ex D3 S
Ex D4 GS
Club skip ya lockers !!!
Club BAS remote heater !!
Club Duratrac
Club Phillips DRL
Club Prospeed Rack Mk 1
Club Prospeed Rack Mk 2
Club Sankey
Club RLD spare wheel protector

Post #57224431st Dec 2009 4:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ELD70

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Can you raise and lower the car to check the compressor is working ok?
 Now driving BMW 330d Touring....misses D3...but not when at traffic lights Smile  
Post #57224531st Dec 2009 4:19 pm

ELD70 wrote:
Can you raise and lower the car to check the compressor is working ok?

No, as soon as engine is started the lights in the height selector goes out when the "suspension fault" appears, so no possibility to change height.
Tried to use the Land Rover button on the remote thing with doors closed and hazards on, but no reaction from the suspension (has been working before).

Have not had any messages related to vehicle raising slowly or noise from compressor, but I guess it can die without warning.

Post #57224931st Dec 2009 4:24 pm
Renton

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Where are you at with this issue? I have a similar problem now.
 CLUB ILLEGAL CAR WASHERS  
Post #5733073rd Jan 2010 12:42 pm

Still no progress, having the D3 in a warm garage over night and treating the battery with the C-tek charger did not have any affect. So will try to visit dealer tomorrow Monday to get a fault code reading.
Vehicle still sits quite leveled, though seems like front right side is a bit high, but could also be due to other corners being low, not sure.
Do not want to lift it on jack to take wheels off to make further inspections, since it might upset it enough to let all air out and the 35km drive to dealer becoming a lot rougher.

Post #5733133rd Jan 2010 12:52 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Height sensor knackered most prob Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #5733183rd Jan 2010 12:56 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Had the same fault showing on mine when trying to do a height calibration (wouldn't take the values). Given a re-flash which sorted the problem and it could be calibrated.
Since then my battery failed completely.
I know that thy do strange things with a low battery could have been on it's way out?
Have you checked the battery voltage with the engine off just after sarting it? Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #5733783rd Jan 2010 2:29 pm

Took a picture (sorry for bad quality) and stored in my gallery of the 4x4 screen and it sort of shows the front right being higher, consistent with how it looks from outside. Could it be valve problem that is preventing it from levelling since it seems to be aware of the inconsistent heights?
Have not checked battery voltage, but the battery seems fairly new and performs OK othervise.

Post #5736163rd Jan 2010 10:25 pm

Left the D3 at an authorized LR garage this morning with the task to read fault codes and do analysis. When returning in the afternoon they said that even though they had problems with their IDS after SW upgrade they had managed to clear fault codes (but not read them) and after that everything was OK and they had performed a successful test drive.
Went out to D3 and directly at start-up the same problem was back Sad Went back in again and collected my money back and received a promise that they would call once their IDS was fixed so that trouble shooting could continue.
However it's probably correct as it was fine for a while because now it's perfectly level again.
Hope that Faultmate FCR finds it way here soon...

Post #5741594th Jan 2010 7:31 pm

Faultmate FCR arrived and is working great.
Got these two codes in the air suspension.
C1A13 Pressure Does Not Decrease When Venting Gallery
C1A36 Exhaust Valve

Clearing codes works fine, but on engine start they reappear.

My first thought is to check if air suspension exhaust piping and muffler is clear.
Any other suggestions on these codes?

Post #57899711th Jan 2010 3:41 pm

Disconnected airline from exhaust valve to eliminate any blocking after the valve but it did not have any effect.
Measured the exhaust valve resistance and it was exactly the stipulated 4 ohms.

Post #57924011th Jan 2010 10:07 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Your decicant in the dryer may be wet. It blocks the air flow. Before replacing the whole compressor try just the air dryer. If you are handy try dismantling the dryer first. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #57927611th Jan 2010 10:58 pm

Yes, did not realise that exhaust air also passes through the dryer, but then that might be an issue. We still have -12 degrees so if any water there it's probably frozen. Need to take compressor unit out to trouble shoot further I think.

Thought about trying to activate the pilot exhast valve manually with 12v to see if it´s alive, do you think it´s safe to apply 12v to test the solenoid if separating the connector in the compressor housing?

Post #57940312th Jan 2010 8:16 am

Tried 12v directly to the pilot exhaut valve and on first connection it did release a small "fart" of air, but after that it just "clicked" as the solenoid pulled. Hard to say if the valve actually opened or not.

Post #57997112th Jan 2010 9:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >