Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Suspension fault and no idle when engine cold
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
tinneyr

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4
Suspension fault and no idle when engine cold

Hi all, my 05 TDV6 HSE 78K miles has started to develop a couple of issues.

Firstly nearly every journey now I get Suspension fault amber warning, stop the car, re-start and it goes away, yesterday I did 3 outings , 2 miles, amber warning came on, 8 miles amber warning cam on, then red warning 30mph came on then went back to amber, then 100 miles, no warning at all ??

Secondly, when the engine is cold it takes about 3-5 mins of reving before it will hold at idling speed, prior to this the engine will drop revs and cut out if i ease off the power, and I thinks I can see what looks like smoke or exhaust comming from the offside front wheel arch ?? Is this a belt slipping or something ?? Once the egine is warn, no problems Confused

Taking her into independent garage for diagnostics later today, will keep you posted on both fronts

Post #58376418th Jan 2010 11:02 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Smoke would be your FBH.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #58376618th Jan 2010 11:05 am
tinneyr

Is that normal for a Fuel Burning Heater ??

Post #58377018th Jan 2010 11:11 am
tinneyr

Just read other posts re FBH and seems I have nothing to worry about on that account thanks CAVERD3 Thumbs Up

just the issues with cold idling and Suspenstion fault !!

Post #58377418th Jan 2010 11:18 am
tinneyr

Just got back, and not alot to report, engineer had problems connecting car with his laptop and ended up connecting some kind of hand held device. He noted a number of CAD ? messages which he cleared out.
He says that there were about four different alarms which could point towards a faulty compressor. and a couple of alarms which may be to do with my idleing problems ( something to do with a valve ??).
Told me to keep an eye on further alarms in the meantime.
I am booking in again on Monday as they want her in for the day this time to do a thorough going over. Fingers crossed Confused

Post #58399818th Jan 2010 4:35 pm
Dickydisco

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

My car has the same idle fault as yours. Its worst when it cold. My car is in the dealers for the next 2 days so lets see if they find the problem or if they just fob me off. Typical the weather has warmed a little so it wont be as bad for them when they start it. I'l keep you posted on it
 Current: D3 commercial

Past: but not forgotten D3 HSE x2, 5 TD5 disco2's, 1 200tdi disco1, 2 300tdi disco1 one of which was a commercial, Off roader with a rather large spec, ARB's and big travel suspension to name a few.
Pajero SWB 2.8 for off road playdays
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYBx3SCl8vs check this for laughs 

Post #58459119th Jan 2010 1:04 am
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Mine has an air suspension fault also. It is due to a valve not working properly but whether it is a faulty valve or juts a "wet" air dryer I am not sure yet. It is fairly random collection of amber/red and no lights as yoy drive around.

Idle in cold weather with the FBH on is usually a bit erratic.....mine has been known to stall in the past when crawling along in traffic from cold (an auto) but hasn't done it recently). On a cold start revs start very low and take a few seconds to build up to around 700 where they oscillate gently. I never use the throttle and it sorts its self out. Just make sure you let the glow plugs do their job.
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #58463819th Jan 2010 8:39 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

I am starting to see a few 'valve' fault codes ending up to be the wiring loom problems, requiring loom repair.

Regards
Steve

Post #58471719th Jan 2010 11:11 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tinneyr

Since the Technician cleared out all my alarms on Monday, have done about 100 miles and not a peak out of her, no alarms or idle problems Confused Not sure I want to take it back in now, all seems ok ?

Post #58596720th Jan 2010 7:45 pm
Ade

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Mines been into the dealers today with what started off as a suspension fault and bad starting when cold, but yesterday it also ended up also being a park brake, HDC, adaptive head light, ABS faults amongst others

Phone call just said that it was a wiring loom fault, and all seems well now, fingers crossed for when I get it back that it is OK

Post #58670521st Jan 2010 12:52 pm
tinneyr

Further investigation by garage yesterday and ahe needs a new compressor, thankfully my extended warranty covers this. been quoted around £500 inc labour.

Post #59065026th Jan 2010 7:00 pm
jpj

About the idle problems (of TDV6) in cold weather (today -20 C like yesterday and day before and...). As SPOTTER pointed out, do not touch the throttle when you are starting the engine or warming it up in cold weather! It seems as if the computer or something goes "into manual mode" and stops controlling the idle.
It does much better job than you....

Post #59255129th Jan 2010 9:20 am
tinneyr

I have had a new compressor now for 4 weeks or so and now no problems at all, also not using then throttle when starting up and again no more problems Smile

Post #6126911st Mar 2010 10:51 pm
Calle

Denmark 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

My D3 had the same problem with suspension faults. In the beginning I just turned off the engine, but at last I had to replace the compressor. Price incl. work : about 1300 £ - quite cheap in Copenhagen Shocked
 Calle - disguised as adult.
Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
Ducati 750 SS
Cervelo P2 

Post #6143054th Mar 2010 9:58 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >