Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D3)

[Electrical] Suspension Height Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 11 of 16 <123 ... 101112 ... 141516>
berty83

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
adding to the long list of queries

Just completed 100000 miles on my 56plate disco 3 without any major trouble (apart from the f**ing electronic park brake).
This week however, ive recently been presented with the amber suspension light on my dashboard. Ive not noticed any significant issues with my suspension as of yet, the car will raise and lower as per the norm, however if I take a tight corner the 'normal height' error message is prompted. This error goes when I restart the car.

I assume as the compressor is working perfectly this may just be a sensor (tilt, perhaps). I'll get it booked into LR or a local indy for a diagnostic in the next few weeks. Any advice would be grateful.

Dave

Post #153626028th Sep 2015 11:19 am
berty83

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Its the compressor Big Cry
£475+VAT (incl labour), think I've done alright considering.

Post #15399275th Oct 2015 12:51 pm
mx468

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Lux Auto Tonga GreenLR3
every 10 - 15 miles....

Mine drops down every 10-15 continuous miles, when i restart the truck the suspension fixes itself and all fault lights disappear. Still trying to figure it out. I've changed all height and abs/wheel sensors, brake switch, checked wires under driver & passenger sides, dynamic suspension wires, ecu, battery, can't seem to figure it out. I'm getting a gap bluetooth iid tool soon, so I hope that will help me figure this out.
 Narpy's Grill Mod, Suspension Rods, Ultra guage, wrangler Goodyear duratracs 265/60/18, new thermostat, diff oils changed, brake switch new, aluminum rack floor, LED driving lights in foglights, rear camera, just need gvif unit, next on list! New front arb bushings, new front valve block, 191,000 miles.  
Post #154814021st Oct 2015 3:08 am
snake hips cotter

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Suspension Fault. Help and advice appreciated

Hi there, some advice required. I have noticed for a few weeks that my air compressor is coming on when first started after 55-reg d3 is left lying. Then would go off. And today after raising suspension to off-road height rear raised ok but front was slow and suspension will raise when system is cooled came on display. So waited for it to raise. And it was ok. I then lowered it to road height. Then after driving a few miles it chimed and suspension fault showed. Switched off ignition and it cleared then on driving again it chimed again and suspension fault normal height showed. Managed to get it home after clearing and driving fault. Now when I start Disco I hear the compressor working and after a few minutes suspension fault shows and compressor stops. Switch off ignition again and restart compressor comes on again straight away then after a few minutes again suspension fault shows and compressor cuts off. Suspension doesn't lower when the disco is left parked up for a few days. It stays at on road height. Can't hear any air leaks. Advice and help would be most appreciated.

Post #155347230th Oct 2015 8:15 pm
seriessteve

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

It sounds very much like one of two things, the humidity trap is clogged up and making it hard for the compressor to do its thing OR the compressor is on its way out. I've just had the same thing happen to mine and Landrover dealer will charge me £800 for the pleasure of replacing the compressor! I said "I shall do it myself get me the part", to which they replied you cannot DIY as the compressor will need coding to the ECU!!!!! What a crock of shirts!!!! Does anyone on here know if this is true before I buy a new compessor and do it myself? The part is approx £400 saving me a lot (as looking at the job it looks like it could take about 2 to 3 hours including site preparation tea drinking time and tool tidying) Big Cry All tips taken seriously Thumbs Up

Post #15554093rd Nov 2015 5:16 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

It will need the AMK software, but there are plenty on the forum that can do that for you. You are not that far from me if you would like me to do it.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #15554383rd Nov 2015 5:50 pm
Tung

Kenya 2005 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourLR3
Hdc fault

I went to the local landrover mech for brake pad change and after jacking, the car came down with Hdc not available, traction, Abs and the front permanently lower than the rear. While stationary vehicle can be lifted to off-road but the front remains in access while the rear goes as high as usual but as soon as you move it all lowers to bump stops. Diagnosis Faults:U 416-94 andU-421-94, P0500-vehicle speed sensor, rear right speed sensor circuit. Looked through the wiring..cleaned, changed the battery, changed the break switch and the rear speed sensor to no avail. disco 3 2005
 D3,2005/D4,2010/Merc w203, 2004  
Post #156771726th Nov 2015 5:32 pm
graysclassics

United Kingdom 
CRAAAAAP Suspension

Is this post closed now as I am not allowed to open a new message? Surely not, its got to be the most popular part of the forum! Perhaps its because I am new to the forum... I thought the P38 was a pain!

Is the only option to fit a AMK and modify to fit and put new software on? I am sick to death of working on this D3.

Hitachi rebuilt and "seems" to work ok, certainly better than it was, but gets red hot stops running at 271deg F, fffflipin heck.. gallery pressure when static is 36psi, fluctuates each second between around 105-145 when running, is this still too low? Don't know why I don't get a steady increasing pressure> Dryer perfect didnt need rebuilding. Can't find a leak anywhere, can't hear one, squirted everything with soapy, stuff all.

Pressure sensor static 0.69v, running 1.78v. Motor temp gets to 248deg F. Could cook your breakfast on the pump.

Red death light came on and turned out to be in "tight tolerances mode" for goodness sake, how did it do that on its own... Cleared no problem when reset into normal mode.

Fault codes for what they are worth C1A00-54, C1A00-88, U0128-87 C1A27-14, C1130-7A most temporary intermittent and all clear easily from RLM & RLC modules.

Would you change the reservoir valve block or sensor, (would have thought pressure switch would have shown up as fault code) haven't physically tested whether or not reservoir is filling. The rear settles quicker than the front, is the rear axle valve block worth changing? What a money pit this thing is. I love my Old Disco1 200tdi with 2" lift, what a machine!

Do I risk customers money on a brand new Hitachi which may or may not cure the problem or just go for the AMK instead? Sorry for hijacking post, just getting desperate for answers... Thanks guys.

Post #15728705th Dec 2015 10:56 pm
steveg63

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Galway GreenDiscovery 3
Suspension Failure Light

Hi all, into my 1st month of my used Discover 3, bought as a 'trade vehicle' 07 plate with 124k miles, has the cambelt changed prior to picking up as could not confirm this had been done, I am now having the 'Suspension Failure' warning, usual alarm noise and amber warning light, the pump runs when the engine starts and levels the car but then turns its self off and we get the warning notice that 'Normal Height' only, question I am asking as a very novice diy mechanic (bulbs, oil and battery type) does this sound like the air dryer or are we talking new compressor? Sorry if this has been asked/covered else where just want to try and see if this is something I can attempt before I spend £000's with a mechanic?

Update on this, my 'Normal Height Only; warning light is now coming on almost everytime we run the car, compressor starts up and then after a few minutes the light comes on, not every journey though....does this sound like the compressor or air dryer?
Bow down

Post #15735217th Dec 2015 12:01 pm
Coboxis

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Rear Right of Disco 3 Riding lower than the rest of vehicle.

Hi any info to help appreciated. If i raise or lower suspension it does not matter, it seems to be changing heights along with the rest of the vehicle. However the rear right of vehicle does not match the height/measurements of the rest of the vehicle.Is this a simple fix? Sensor? valve?

Thanks

Land Rover Lover/Hater! Love it when it goes right! Hate it when it goes wrong!

Post #16623132nd Jun 2016 3:56 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Could be a height sensor.
First check that the sensor and rods are free maybe lube with wd40. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #16625372nd Jun 2016 11:41 pm
rconnew

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Suspension warning light bacl on again after new compressor

Folks anyone please have an idea on this one. Replaced the compressor with a new Dunlop and the warning light that was on has now gone off. Done quite a bit of driving and have taken the caravan to the lakes which is where I am now. Last night went out in it and the warning light is back on and its locked at normal height as it was before the new compressor. If you turn it off and on it clears and it will go to any height again then after a few seconds or longer its back on again. I'm wondering if because I went for the Dunlop compressor the ecu is having problems and needs to be? Was also wondering about disconnecting the battery to see if that will re-set but given I have to get the caravan back tomorrow I'm concerned about making this worse AS DESPITE it saying suspension is locked it drives as normal. Currently in Keswick if anyone can recommend anyone?
Thanks

Richard
D3

Post #169092911th Aug 2016 12:10 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Calibrate the suspension. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #169117612th Aug 2016 7:24 am
cadburysparrot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Various errors

What about this?
Initially just getting amber light and 'suspension fault' message - but no apparent faults. Ride was fine, car level, no loss of height overnight.
Now getting Amber 'normal height only' warning, with loss of height evenly across the front overnight (with fuse 26 pulled).
Today, got the 'raising slowly' message.

Front valve block?
Compressor?

Any advice welcome

Post #169612925th Aug 2016 5:53 pm
VOD80

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Hi, I have a tiny little bit of experience in this area so you may want to take it with a pinch of salt.

I had similar problems, with the same error messages, at the start.

The first thing I noticed was that the front of the car would pick itself up after I started, only a little bit. I thought I was imagining it at first.

Things slowly got worse to the point where there was a definite height drop with the fuses pulled. Not all the way to the bump stops, which fooled me for a bit Laughing

I thought, based on my fault finding, that it was the front valve block. I replaced that but there was no change.

In the end, I bit the bullet and stripped all of the plastic off the front end and went around looking for leaks. With a garden sprayer I went over all of the connections.

For me, it was a leaking air spring, a bit fiddly to replace but a one day job for both sides.

With my experience, the compressor is the last thing I would blame - I think they are a little undersized if there are problems and I think that they pay "other peoples' bills" and die after trying to compensate for leaks Very Happy

Post #169622125th Aug 2016 8:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 11 of 16 <123 ... 101112 ... 141516>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >