Suspension issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Fatboy2365

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Suspension issue

Very Happy
Click image to enlarge

Hi. Im Looking for help with my 2008 discovery 3. 2.7 diesel automatic.
I had a problem starting it the other morning, it was -8 deg and I know the glow plugs need replacing. Anyway after about 4 turns on the key it was trying to start, And on the next there was a load bang from the front of the car which af the time I thought was a backfire. On the next turn the engine
fired up and ran, but I quickly realised that I had a suspension issue, the suspension had dropped all the way down and its now showing 3 warning lights on the dash.
The low gear range warning light is flashing and the Dynamic Stability Control and Brake Sytems warning lights are both on. I'm hoping someone may have some suggestions as to what the problem could be.

Post #232457129th Jan 2023 3:19 pm
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Standby for the usual answer to a myriad of faults Rolling Eyes

A) If you have cranked that engine 4 times at minus 8 then an immediate suspect is low battery voltage (often leads to a bunch of spurious alarms) and ......

B) A code reader is your friend. Read the codes and make an informed approach - it is simply to time-consuming and expensive to guess what 'might' be wrong.

For me, I would start with a fully charged battery and depending on how long that has been on, a new one is going to cost you around £100 (search for a new battery to get a guide on where to buy on here).

Good luck Thumbs Up
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #232457929th Jan 2023 4:45 pm
Fatboy2365

Thanks kilavolt, for your reply.
The battery is not that old and I have charged it just to make sure that wasn't an issue.
I have a tough pad and am currently looking at diagnostic software to load on to it. I have already been advised to get a diagnostic package the includes the engineering mode do that I can recode and program units with it. Ic you or anyone can recommend a sensibly priced software package that would be appreciated.

Post #232458829th Jan 2023 5:39 pm
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I kept mine on a trickle charger when the temperature dropped really low (-13 up here), got the same messages but they cleared once the car started running (and have not returned). Welcome to owning a Disco Laughing

Highly recommend the IID tool by GAP.. designed for LR vehicles and offers more than most on the market.
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #232461529th Jan 2023 9:24 pm
Fatboy2365

Thanks, nigethecat16 for your reply.
Unfortunately I've charged the battery and had the vehicle running with no results

Post #232461929th Jan 2023 9:48 pm
riverblanche

Hi,

agree with above ^ you need to get the diagnostics and any stored codes to see if there is a real issue (suspension issue Question )
or your car did just not like being out in the cold, if you are happy with the battery then you will just be guessing, as for which one to go for I went the IId route like many others and have been very happy.

it does not have to be linked to your car to read the fault codes.

Thumbs Up
 Transit! 2019
Gone D3 HSE 2008
Another Porsche Cayenne 2022
Gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
Gone RRS HSE Dynamic 2016
Gone RRS HSE LUX 2011
Gone RRS HSE 2006
Gone D3 SE 2.7 2008
gone D2 Td5 1999

I plan on living forever and so far so good !

Club DG Mclaren stuff

Post #232463129th Jan 2023 11:16 pm
von Horst

Sweden 

Blimey! every other thread here is about suspension failure!! the D3 is a great car and drive and I just wonder if its not worthwhile removing these suspension type and replace it with ordinary suspension of really good quality!
I know somebody who did just that and when driving it wasnt all that much difference! not cheap but still, saves you from trouble, getting stranded and all that!

Post #23250131st Feb 2023 7:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >