DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Suspension lowering after 120km/75mph
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jean-Paul

Greece 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Suspension lowering after 120km/75mph

hello guys,

I am a disco owner for two months now and yesterday it was the first time I went on a small roadtrip. I found myself very dissaponted with the way the car handles after 120 km/h. I was almost scared and it was impossible for me to change lanes with safety. Moreover in wide turns that you had to go through with 120-130 km/h was very dangerous and the car had a very unstable position with a great bent>it reminds me of the old french cars DCV !!
i was very dissapointed. is there any trick with the suspension so that it lowers the car and stiffens the suspension ?

thank you
 J.p  
Post #53758521st Oct 2009 4:03 am
Edfors

Sweden 

Did you buy the right car? Rolling Eyes

Sounds like you should have gone for the Sport Whistle

Post #53759621st Oct 2009 7:06 am
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
Re: Suspension lowering after 120km/75mph

Jean-Paul wrote:

i was very dissapointed. is there any trick with the suspension so that it lowers the car and stiffens the suspension ?

I believe the solution to this is something that we call the brake pedal Whistle

edit: only joking, something doesn't sound right!
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Last edited by SJR on 21st Oct 2009 7:57 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #53759721st Oct 2009 7:10 am
Ken

A D3 is one of the best large 4x4's for high speed stability so I'm pretty sure its one of three things (no offence implied here)

1-The car has a fault (presume you have checked the round things are all good)
2-Your are driving beyond your limits
3-Your are comparing the D3 to a saloon / coupe

A fair few have put the D3 through some swift manoeuvres with quite a few evasive patterns as well. As with any large 4x4 with or without air the trick is to be smooth throughout the manoeuvre do this and the car will reward you Thumbs Up

Post #53759821st Oct 2009 7:11 am
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I second Ken's post.

I've driven (in Germany) at 160 km/h and had no issues changing lanes, taking bends etc. But at exits and slower sections with tighter bends you will never keep up with a saloon car. But that's why there are sign posts there telling you to slow down and giving lower speed limts...

But if you really want the option, then give Matzker a call (in Cologne). They will happily sell you their suspension kit that allows you to raise and lower the car from the driver's seat (it also gives you extra ground clearence for off-road). You will need around 2,000 euro before fitting though...(brake pedal is cheaper).
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #53760521st Oct 2009 7:31 am
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

You're not going to take the exit ramps at that speed for sure, but if it feels that bad changing lanes then there's something wrong. Tyre pressures is the easy check - makes a huge difference to ride and handling if they're only a tiny bit off - as is making sure you've got a decent amount of tread left (plenty of threads here on how bad the ride can get on certain tyres despite apparently legal amounts of life left in them)

If that doesn't reveal anything obvious, find another D3 owner locally who's happy with their ride and talk to them - what's their experience on the same roads? Is the problem with the car or your expectations? I was always amazed at how composed the D3 was at speed so something doesn't sound right

Cheers

Martin

PS the suspension does lower at speed - after doing over 160km/h for 30 seconds or similar I think

Post #53761121st Oct 2009 7:54 am
promitheus

Greece 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Last D3 I drove at speeds more than 130kph, was stable and felt safe. The D3 is a big heavy 4x4 and you have to respect its limits, however on motorways at speeds as such, shouldn't be a problem. So I would suggest you check your tyres, suspension, wheel alignment etc. Good luck. Thumbs Up

Post #53763121st Oct 2009 9:04 am
Jean-Paul

Greece 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

what is the trick with the brake pedal ?

In regards to what you are saying I am not comparing to a sallon car. I am comparing to a Jeep Cherokee that I had and i had change the dampers to harder ones. the ride was extra stiff. This is the first time I am driving a car with air suspension and I certainly enjoy it much more than the cherokee. However, I felt a little uncomfortable as far as the exits was concerned as i had to dramtically slow down as I had 4 passengers in the car and I didn't want them to feel uncomfortable. I certainly don't care and I enkoy the car in every aspect as far as the airsuspension is concerned,but if I had an option just for the highway to make it a little stiffer it would be great !!that is what I am saying. also i have checked tire pressures and they needed a little air. so it might make a difference.
 J.p  
Post #53764821st Oct 2009 10:00 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Matzker in Cologne offer a range of handling & braking enhancements for the D3.

It would be interesting to know whether there is a UK dealer who could offer test drives, and/or to have feed back on their products.

Nigel
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #53766021st Oct 2009 10:27 am
blue_manc

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Jean-Paul wrote:
what is the trick with the brake pedal ?

Using it. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #53767321st Oct 2009 10:44 am
elemental

Switzerland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

[quote="NJSS"]Matzker in Cologne offer a range of handling & braking enhancements for the D3.
It would be interesting to know whether there is a UK dealer who could offer test drives, and/or to have feed back on their products. Nigel[/quote]

I drove a 2009 V8 with the matzker Bilsteins, handling/offroad box and wheel spacers. In this car, it was not supplied with the optional switch, meaning that once set-up, the car rode at whatever heights it was programmed to via their electronic black box. In the V8 I tried, the car was permanently higher than usual. i.e. about an inch higher in normal mode and offroad mode. There is an inch or so adjustment either way, so you can have it all lower, higher or lower in normal and higher in offroad or vice versa if you have the garage/dealer that fitted it do that. You can't adjust it yourself. I believe that with the switch fitted you can have the system off or on, which would give you at least 4 optional normal heights (2 LR plus 2 Matzker). I could see the point in having the whole thing sit lower in normal mode, and higher in offroad mode, but having it sat higher in all modes made me worry about the suspension geometry and tyre wear. As I live miles away from the sole distributor it would be a pain to have it reprogrammed for my tastes.

What did seem to make more sense though were the Bilstein dampers. These were just as firm as a D4 set-up by my seat of the pants reckoning, and removed any yacht-like steering tendencies. i deliberately hoiked the beast around a few tight country lanes to test the roll/pitch. Albeit possibly negated somewhat by the raised ride height afforded by the above mentioned box, it did seem like that was a enhancement I would be happy with.

As a mini-test I hope this helps someone out. For someone doing a lot of autobahn or offroad or bling work the handling/offroad box might be good for you. For general firmness and roadholding, the Bilsteins seemed good to me. I won't comment on the wheel spacers as I remain unconvinced that they do much for the handling or blinging.

Post #53779621st Oct 2009 2:54 pm
Miguel

Portugal 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I seem to recall that the suspension of the Discovery 3 does lower a bit after reaching the 160kph and remains lowered if you don't drop below 130kph.

I find my disco quite stable at relatively high speed on motorway when I drive it (not so much when SWMBO does), I think the word to describe the way to drive it is "finesse" 8) , without sudden moves and always antecipating what is in front of you.

Also note that the added weight of 4 will make it more unstable! The correct pression in the tires for carrying 5 persons should improve your experience though.

Cheers,
Miguel Batista

Post #53783821st Oct 2009 4:16 pm
BrumLee

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

You need to learn your high speed driving skills in a Discovery 200tdi with no anti-roll bars fitted. Once you've mastered that you'll have every confidence of getting around those bends at speed Wink Laughing

Post #53785021st Oct 2009 4:42 pm
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I regularly drive my D3 well laden at 140kph plus for long distances and I am hugely impressed with its directional stability and resistance to cross winds and truck bow waves.

Rarely have to slow down for mororway intersections (not slip roads!!!) as long as you steer gently and let it ease into the turn. Agressive driving will have you heaving and rolling all over the place accompanied by tyre squeal and shouting from the passenger seat!!!!!! However you do have to be being pretty brave before the DSC kicks in!!!!!!I am sure a 3 tonne renault Espace would require a bit of care also!!!! I have friends with Jeeps and have never noticed the D3 being deficient in the handling department in comparison. Different ,yes. Thumbs Up
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #53785821st Oct 2009 5:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

SPOTTER wrote:
I am sure a 3 tonne renault Espace would require a bit of care also

Off Topic my previous vehicle was a 3ltr TDV6 Grande Espace. It generally handled flatter than the D3 IIRC
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #53789721st Oct 2009 7:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >