Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Suspension - Three parts gone bust? NOW 4, CAN BUS??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Depends on the codes set & if they are classed as permanent or intermittant codes.
If you had replaced nothing, noted & cleared the codes, then you may have found nothing came back for a while.
For example, I had a D3 in yesterday with codes for Turbo underboost, EGR excess flow, & injector no 5 reach max adaption limit.(no mileage data on when they were set. I checked the EGR requested & actual positions (all ok), test drove & boost pressure ok, checked live data on injector adaption, all seem good. So shall I throw a turbo, EGR valve & injector at it, or shall I reset the codes, & wait for the codes to re-appear, & see which comes back in what order, as I really need more evidence than just a code before I spend loads of money on parts & labour.

Your codes? were they set at the same mileage? were they intermittant or permanent? what happens if they were noted & reset then redriven? The CAN bus code, were any other ecu's affected? It seems strange that another fault code would appear after renewal of a component. You really need to find the answers to these questions before you spend any more money Wink

Regards
Steve

Post #63738317th Apr 2010 7:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Renton

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

They cleared the first fault code and the same one did come back right away as permanent. Same for the 2 valves.

I am on a road with no return. They got the compressor and valves working again on Friday but couldn't get it on normal height. So I can't drive my car. I think/hope they are close to the real cause of this all.

It's just disappointing that there aren't any knowledgeable LR workshops around here who can do a bit more the changing oil and parts.
There was some prediction that the Northsea would disappear in the future?? I can think of one advantage Laughing

Thanks Steve. Thumbs Up
They will work on my car Tuesday again. I will let you know how that ends.
 CLUB ILLEGAL CAR WASHERS  
Post #63739817th Apr 2010 7:59 pm
northernpar

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Get them to bell out all the wiring associated the EAS control to check for broken wires/bad connections. I had a fault where the front right was sitting 2cm lower than the other 3 corners and if I tried to raise/lower the vehicle the suspension warning message advising normal height only would appear instantly. This would typically clear when the vehicle was restarted but would randomly pop-up when driving. The independant I took it into found a broken wire at/near the connector under the nsf arch liner (the one that also is affected by corrosion in the wires). Dont' know specifically which wire but he stated that it was one of the larger wires and mentioned the feed to the front valve block which would explain why the front wouldn't level or raise/lower.

Personally, if I get another suspension fault issue the first thing I will do is prove the integrity of all the associated wiring loom and connectors before taking it in for further investigation. Will be a pain to do but will save a lot of heartache in the long run.

Post #63761418th Apr 2010 11:18 am
BrumLee

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Mine has the dreaded amber suspension fault light come on and standard hieght only (althought it's sitting on the bump stops now). Did have a message about compressor cooling down, but nothing since. I'm going to try the relay bridging tomorrow to see if compressor kicks in.

Anyone had the 'Raising' 'Standard' flashing up alternatively on the 4x4 info? There's also the normal hieght and raising flashing on the dash Confused
 Faultmate MSV2 EXTREME
FOXWELL N624 Elite
Hantek 1008c Oscilloscope 

Post #63794018th Apr 2010 11:48 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

sounds like a problem with the filter / dryer, the ports are too close together and develop a fracture over time, parts are about £42

Post #63794118th Apr 2010 11:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BrumLee

Cheers Ian, I'll be having a look tomorrow. Can't hear anything, no compressor noise or any hissing, but then again I've never heard the compressor when its been working.
 Faultmate MSV2 EXTREME
FOXWELL N624 Elite

Post #63794418th Apr 2010 11:54 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

A spray bottle with diluted washing-up liquid will confirm, you obviously need to remove the lower compressor cover first Wink

Post #63794619th Apr 2010 12:00 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

And you all do it again Thud

Cheers for the support Thumbs Up Rolling Eyes

Post #63795419th Apr 2010 12:06 am
BrumLee

simon wrote:
And you all do it again Thud

Cheers for the support Thumbs Up Rolling Eyes

Question Question

Removed the relay as described by Wiggs and bridged the connections. Not a sound from the compressor Crying or Very sad Checked the 5A and 60A fuses for suspension in the engine bay fusebox and seem ok. So I guess the compressor has given up Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
 Faultmate MSV2 EXTREME
FOXWELL N624 Elite

Post #63813619th Apr 2010 1:21 pm
BrumLee

Checked 60A fuse with multimeter and it had blown. Tried another fuse and it blew with the relay terminals 3 and 5 bridged Evil or Very Mad

Had a good secondhand and brand new updated compressor arrive today. So not wanting to cause any damage to the new compressor I connected the secondhand unit, fitted another fuse and bridged the relay terminals. Compressor burst into life which shows the original one must have burnt out or siezed. Connected air pipes and charged the air tank giving short one minute bursts with the compressor, then raised the suspension. Put everything back as it should be, suspension faults disappeared from the dash 8) Great I thought, but the compressor doesn't switch off, so obviously that's why the original unit burnt out Big Cry

Anyone had this before? I can use the D3 now but I'll charge the air tank each day if it needs it as it's lost no air after a short journey and four hours standing in 'Standard Hieght' Confused
 Faultmate MSV2 EXTREME
FOXWELL N624 Elite

Post #63876120th Apr 2010 5:11 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

This any help?

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic46737.h...or+running

Link 10 (60A) - Compressor supply
Fuse 3 (5A) - Feedback to the ECU, indicating that the Compressor Relay has successfully operated
Fuse 35 (5A) - Ignition Supply to the ECU

Did you multimeter the Fuse 3 too?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #63877220th Apr 2010 5:32 pm
Renton

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Update: been a week now since I left it at the workshop. And still not found the problem Banging Head
Censored Censored

They more or less got pinpointed to where the problem must be in the wiring. I've got a headache by now.
To make myself feel better I bought a new toy. Different topic.......
 CLUB ILLEGAL CAR WASHERS  
Post #63956822nd Apr 2010 8:57 am
BrumLee

I stripped the old compressor yesterday and found the piston crank bearing had broken up and two ball bearings had jammed the motor, which then burnt out a couple of windings. This is what had blown the 60A fuse. Been running with the second hand compressor for the past few days and all seems ok.

Hope you get your sorted soon Renton.
 Faultmate MSV2 EXTREME
FOXWELL N624 Elite

Post #64130326th Apr 2010 5:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >