DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Suspension woes, any gurus? Odd faults. - Fixed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Rallyneil

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Suspension woes, any gurus? Odd faults. - Fixed

Hi all, I am having trouble with my D3 se
It started very suddenly whilst I was away on holiday. I cane out to the cat and it had sunk to the bumpstops and wouldn’t raise. Usual fault codes of unable to vent the gallery.
I replaced the pump and tank with new expecting something to happen but it wouldn’t budge. I have iid tool so I tried to test the valves and with some trouble I managed to get some air into the springs.
It seems to pump the back springs up quickly but when I can get air to the front it is very very slow to raise.
My guess is that the front crosslink valve is kaput or the centre valve block at the compressor won’t allow air forward but I am now stabbing in the dark.
My fault codes also sometimes show communication lost to other body modules which concerns me as well.
Anyone fancy a guess at where to go next? Or is there any decent Indy’s near Berwick/borders area?

Thanks in advance

Neil

Last edited by Rallyneil on 17th Oct 2018 3:51 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #199084810th Oct 2018 11:52 pm
Rallyneil

So a bit more investigating today. Using the iid tool I discovered that the gallery pressure would show 20bar even when I had all the pipes disconnected! Whilst it was off I took the valve block apart and it was full of crud. Cleaned it out put it back together. I could then use the iid tool to test the valve blocks with the pressure switch disconnected and the compressor would run.
The back end pumped up quickly but the front is very slow and sluggish. I have now ordered a new reservoir valve block and a front valve block. Should be here tomorrow so let’s see how that goes!

Post #199108211th Oct 2018 10:07 pm
Rallyneil

Well success of sorts.
Fitting the reservoir valve block and new pressure sensor has got the system up and running again. However it now appears that it struggles to achieve the required pressure. Now getting a fault code of gallery pressure increases too slowly. It seems to struggle to achieve past 10bar. I’m guessing this will be an issue with the compressor. This seems odd as it’s a new part.
The struggles continue.

Post #199154813th Oct 2018 8:50 pm
Dan1720v

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Aintree GreenDiscovery 3

Check for leaks in the tank. But don’t fall foul to the “it’s new so it must work” mentality, as a tech I’ve fitted no end of parts that were brand new and that were faulty.

Post #199160314th Oct 2018 6:42 am
Rallyneil

Checked the compressor out again and would you believe it, one of the cylinder head bolts was loose and one of the bolts that holds on the eluded valve solenoid had snapped. How I hadn’t spotted this when fitting I don’t know!!
Anyway rather than argue with craddocks I tightened up the head after inspecting the seals and cylinder/piston and drilled out the snapped bolt and fitted a new one. Now makes 17.8 bar and all is good in the world.

For clarity of fixing faults the main issue I had was caused by the faulty pressure sensor. It was reading 20bar at all times even when disconnected. I replaced the reservoir valve block and the compressor burst back into life. Now have happy pressure readings in the iid.

I also replaced the compressor, as during the initial fault I convinced myself that this would be the culprit and the reservoir as I had a new one and the original was very crusty!

Now she’s fixed it will be good for 100’s of miles of motoring 😂

Post #199254517th Oct 2018 3:58 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

You are now the suspension guru Thumbs Up

Post #199255617th Oct 2018 4:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >