Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Tailgate issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Lano

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Tailgate issue

My tailgate won't open at switch on upper tailgate, thought might be actuator, but press lock/unlock at same time releases tailgate, i checked inside micro switch and looks like new no corrosion, is it possible the micro switch has failed or could the problem still be the actuator.

Post #229274723rd May 2022 4:42 pm
douglastic

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

I can't answer which your failure is, but I offer this advice:

Install an internal manual release NOW while you can easily get inside the tailgate.

Ask me how I know . . .
 Doug
2007 LR3 HSE - Chawton/Alpaca - SoCal 

Post #229276123rd May 2022 5:54 pm
nhollandsmith

Poland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have replaced the top tailgate switch a number of times as they easily seem to give up, I need to do it again as the rubber on mine is cracking, so that will be the third in a few years.

Last year I replaced the bottom tailgate actuator.

Pressing the two dash unlock and lock buttons together manually releases the upper tailgate.

Other option may be to set the third remote Land Rover button to release the tailgate.

Post #229516010th Jun 2022 8:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I had the same, i replaced the switch and it made no difference. I then replaced the actuator and have had no problems since.
With my original fault if i pressed the button i could hear a clunk as it released the catch but if i did it again the clunk would be quieter and kept getting quieter the more times i pressed the button. If it wouldnt open i just left the car for 20mins and then it would open ok.
It then failed totally with my two dogs in the back and a full height dog guard.
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #229518811th Jun 2022 7:59 am
Welsh Tonga

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Exactly the same symptoms here also, and bear in mind, the more times you press the release button, the less voltage is delivered to the tailgate lock release motor. I configured the 3rd button on spare fob, and tried when engine was running, and it would just open. I then fitted the emergency pull wire mod and ordered the Fiesta-mk5/Fusion motor actuator and fitted that £12:60, and works absolutely fine every time, but the emergency pull is still there of course! Thumbs Up

Post #229535412th Jun 2022 10:58 am
nhollandsmith

Poland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I had to resort to asking one of my kids to hold and pull the tailgate at the same time as pressing the manual release switch as it would not always open.

Post #229616317th Jun 2022 6:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ruben
D3 Decade 

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Welsh Tonga wrote:
Exactly the same symptoms here also, and bear in mind, the more times you press the release button, the less voltage is delivered to the tailgate lock release motor. I configured the 3rd button on spare fob, and tried when engine was running, and it would just open. I then fitted the emergency pull wire mod and ordered the Fiesta-mk5/Fusion motor actuator and fitted that £12:60, and works absolutely fine every time, but the emergency pull is still there of course! :thumbsup:

I have the same problem, and the same symptoms described, could you put a picture, even from the internet, of the Fiesta-mk5/Fusion motor actuator which part it is? or in our default the reference number? I'm not sure which part it is. I don't know if it refers to the actuation motor of the upper door, to the actuation motor of the lower gate or the lock itself... the truth is that I don't know very well what I should buy without making a mistake. I would greatly appreciate a little clarification on this matter, I have been fighting with this issue for weeks and my greatest fear is my dog too, since I also have a separating fence.
by the way, to report that in the spare parts stores of the dealership here in Spain, nothing of the handle of the license plate support where the switch on upper tailgate is integrated is dismantled, they ask me to buy the entire set and it has a value of €650+VAT, which seems to me simply and simply a scam.

the Fiesta-mk5/Fusion motor actuator, Could be this? It is housed in the upper door or in the lower gate??

Thanks in advance and greetings
 lost in translation!  
Post #229619418th Jun 2022 1:46 am
Welsh Tonga

Hi Ruben, and I am sorry for the late response. Ok to start with, the ACTUATOR(motor) you have pictured is the correct type, and you will need to remove the metal lever attachment as it's not required for the D3.(you will see when removing the old one) This assembly fits in the LOWER tailgate section, and releases the LATCH that the top hatch locks in to. It is not a difficult job, once you have the tailgate open, and there are a few YouTube videos on how to do it, and more info on here with photos somewhere. This part is usually the problem, and the motor gets tired over the years and does not pull the cable enough to release the latch. Hope this answers your questions, and the best of luck Thumbs Up WT.

Post #229628419th Jun 2022 11:05 am
ruben
D3 Decade 

Thank you very much for your kind response, not at all late, I will try the solution, since once the upper button was changed, the one between the license plate illumination lights, nothing has changed and the problem persists.

Thank you!!
 lost in translation!  
Post #229629819th Jun 2022 12:10 pm
Welsh Tonga

How did you get on Ruben? Any luck in sorting it out? Cheers
 2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 SE+
EGR taken a hike, and I like Smile 

Post #22988616th Jul 2022 9:03 pm
ruben
D3 Decade 

the truth is that I have it pending, it acts well spontaneously for a few days and fails again, I don't know if it's my paranoia but it seems that with the heat the failure increases.... I've been for twenty days on the east coast of France and it has been a hell, after in Barcelona it has failed a lot, now back home, here in Asturias, in the north of Spain, where the temperatures are "more British", so to speak, it almost never fails... but I will buy the actuator on the web and change it in the next few days, I will report the results. Thank you for your interest!! and for asking!! 👍
 lost in translation!  
Post #22989127th Jul 2022 12:44 am
ruben
D3 Decade 

Welsh Tonga wrote:
How did you get on Ruben? Any luck in sorting it out? Cheers

it is already! problem solved!! your descriptions were correct!! the actuator is correct and perfect, as you described it is an easy job and the problem of the hot "no closing" is over. Thanks for your help!!! have a happy summer!!
 lost in translation!  
Post #230019916th Jul 2022 12:11 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >