Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Tappety Noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Improvements due to change in fuel would indicate it's not a mechanical problem, but diesel / injector 'knock'. Make sure that the dealer has checked the car for engine sensor DTC's as a mis-reading temperature sensor can cause this, as can a mis-plumbed fuel filter...
It could also be due to the vehicle having previously mis-fuelled and not having the recommended corrective actions carried out or a prematurely wearing injector (dynamic reading of engine data can confirm this one either way) What you need first is a dealer to take the issue seriously...

Post #15595110th May 2007 4:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Thank you 10 for great advice - good for a disco dummy like me - I'm going to write those points down and take them with me when I look for a better dealer (ideally nearby, but I'm prepared to travel to find a good one) It's posts like yours that make this site such a brilliant place - thanks.

Until then I'll also try the Millers stuff like Spotter - just to see and exchange notes while I wait...
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #15610910th May 2007 10:12 pm
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
I also had...

tappet-sounding noise from my MY07 TDV6. Had it looked at during 12,000km service and they said they added some oil additive. Then about 500km later, the fuel pump sprung a leak - dumping diesel all over the turbo Shocked

I know of one other D3 which had the exact same problem as mine - and it was built in the same month as mine. - Sept 06.

Mechanic later told me the tappet noise must have been low fuel pressure, making the injectors noisy.

Could be one other reason for the noise... Good luck - I hope it isn't.

Cheers,
Rob

Post #15657912th May 2007 8:43 am
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Looks like a lot of the problem ones were built in September each year !!!

What is it about September down in Solihull Confused
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #15658712th May 2007 9:48 am
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

My D3 running on Shell is noticeably quieter than Esso fuel which I had to put in recently.
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #21520215th Oct 2007 10:59 am
lawrie50

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Quote:
I also had...

tappet-sounding noise from my MY07 TDV6. Had it looked at during 12,000km service and they said they added some oil additive. Then about 500km later, the fuel pump sprung a leak - dumping diesel all over the turbo

I know of one other D3 which had the exact same problem as mine - and it was built in the same month as mine. - Sept 06.

Mechanic later told me the tappet noise must have been low fuel pressure, making the injectors noisy.

WOW !! I have just had exactly the same happen to me. The D3 is now at the dealers awaiting the pump. I have noticed intermittent mild tapping but on the day of detonation it was more extreme especially at around 1800rpm under load but quiet and smooth when checking with the bonnet up. We stopped for lunch and for the next 10kms the noise seemed to be getting worse and then became constant and loud and there was a trail of diesel on the road and clouds of smoke from under the bonnet. Towed along with our caravan 100kms to the nearest dealer where we are awaiting repairs. Mine is May 07 manufacture and only done 11,000kms so it would seem the same blokes are on the assembly line. Big Cry Big Cry
 2007 TDV6 SE Towing 22' Boroma Primo Grandinata, Mitchell Bros. Tow Hitch, Bolle Tint, TomTom GoLive 825 GPS.  
Post #32525324th Jul 2008 7:46 am
lawrie50

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Update on my problem. Finally got the vehicle back after 3 weeks and 3 days !!! First pump sent over from England arrived damaged so another had to be supplied, this added another week to the process.
I enquired whether this was a common problem and the dealer said that he had seen only one but at a similar 12,000kms. He stated that there had been some sort of recall in England but not in Aussie and they had assumed that all the Australian cars had been fixed on the production line but he is worried that there will be an epidemic as these later models tick over the 10-15000kms. Only time will tell.
Its great to have her back instead of the rent a Toyota that LR supplied to keep us mobile lets hope this is the only big problem we have.
 2007 TDV6 SE Towing 22' Boroma Primo Grandinata, Mitchell Bros. Tow Hitch, Bolle Tint, TomTom GoLive 825 GPS.  
Post #33363318th Aug 2008 2:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >