Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

TDV6... an opinion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I'd ring 'em back and tell them to drain the tank & replace with clean fuel and a new filter..... or will they personally stand the cost of replacing your catalytic convertor if it suffers premature failure Shocked And if they say it'll be OK and not to worry, ask them what the contaminant is and the %age of contamination..... 'cos that's the only way they could give any form of assurance Wink

Post #6946410th Jul 2006 11:38 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi TFC, I've done / said pretty much all that, which is why it wont be ready before 2pm. I think they thought it was diesel residue, but who knows. I was too was concerned about the amount of contaminant, given that I'd run the tank to near empty so could have been "mostly diesel". Shocked Thud

I've asked for it to be recorded that it has been blowing smoke due to dealer induced contaminants, just in case the damage has already been done.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #6946910th Jul 2006 11:50 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

i'd follow it up with a letter confirming the same to the DP....just in case the service records get 'lost' Rolling Eyes

Post #6947110th Jul 2006 11:55 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I can't believe the casual attitude your dealer has! Given the cost of replacement engines, catalytic convertors, injectors, fuel pumps etc, you would think they would not take any chances and should have used clinicly clean equipment. Thats what it says in the manual.

"It'll be alright guv" is not what I would want to hear with my 40 grand vehicle puffing away on the forecourt.

You should give a good run, and get a free tank of fuel out of the dealer to prove no lasting damage.

Post #6947210th Jul 2006 11:56 am
SN

I concur with what Gareth and TFC are saying - I would be absolutely hopping mad
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #6947410th Jul 2006 11:59 am
10forcash

Unfortunately CC damage isn't immediately apparent, it can take weeks or months to show itself...
I saw one on a Vaxuhall that had got so hot it melted the carpet backing and started the carpet smouldering - through the heatshield Shocked It had previoulsy had contaminated fuel four months previously, the deposits on the CC had slowly built up with the resultant loss in performance until the gaps were small enough and flow of gases was high enough to superheat the components

Post #6947510th Jul 2006 12:05 pm
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Mossy wrote:
Still got the TDV6 - Mine wont be ready until Monday now as the spare wheel winch has failed - apparently "it's a common problem" or so I was told. I suggest we all rush out an check.... or maybe not - perhaps you feel lucky?

Oh well, just have top continue my unofficial V8 vs. TDV6 comparison.

Byeeeeeeeeeee 8)

Mine failed. Pain in the ar@e. Wouldn't hoist the wheel up to the top, and therefore needed to keep the spare in the boot. Due to kinked cable I think. Very annoying, and not something you can do a lot about.
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #6948510th Jul 2006 12:36 pm
Mossy

Gareth wrote:
I can't believe the casual attitude your dealer has!

You would if you knew my dealership Crying or Very sad
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #6952010th Jul 2006 5:12 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

How complicated can it really be to give customer satisfaction ..instead of this shrug of the shoulders 'I couldn't give a damn' attidude.

It really, really sucks....and makes me so mad Evil or Very Mad . If one of my guys gave as much as a hint of it they'd be out on their ar$e before they could draw their next breath.

Trouble is if you've got the attitude at the top, it spreads like a disease through the rest of the team.

Yes, anything can go wrong in all aspects of life but it's the enthusiasm, committment and reassurance to get things rectified that count.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #6952310th Jul 2006 5:26 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I would get it put on record at Landrover customer services as well.
You imagine if it was the other way around and you had contaminated the fuel system. I am sure they would be questioning whether your warranty is still valid.
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #6952810th Jul 2006 5:46 pm
Mossy

Well, the planets have aligned and order is restored to the entropic Universe - got me V8 back 8) .

All working (including clean fuel) and notes on my records of the contamination issue. I am assured it will not be a problem - s'pose I'll just have to wait and see. Might follow a few of your chap's suggestions above too re customer service etc. Can't hurt to have it all documented at various sources.

Cant really add to my V8 vs. TDV6 comparison yet as my journey home was sooo punctuated by congestion even I could almost (NB almost) see the point of walking. The V8 noise was welcome, but performance in tonight's traffic could have been matched by a two-stroke lawnmower.

However, watching my mpg reading 14 whilst stationary - my mind did wander to the delights of 27+ of the TDV6.

It's like this; we know the girl in the little black dress looks stunning, sounds great and is the envy of all, but when you've got her nuaghty twin in the scarlet dress and that glint in her eye... sometimes it just makes sense. Wink
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #6954010th Jul 2006 8:20 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I'm a massive V8 fan, I've had at least one V8 car for the past 17 years.
However, since oil burners have improved so much in recent years, I believe that a reasonable capacity diesel engine mated to a good auto. box is the ideal power source for a large 4X4. The TDV6 could IMO have been larger with more torque, but with some T/C magic applied to the ECU it's fine, actually it's very good.
MPG is now 25(worst urban)-32(best motorway) with 5,800 on the clock, under normal driving. I doubt in the real world if the TDV6 (with re-map) is actually much if at all slower than the V8. It would be interesting to compare.
Mossy it's a shame we don't live nearer, we could try it. Glad you have your D3 safely back & hope there will be no long term damage.

Post #6955010th Jul 2006 9:38 pm
Mossy

LT wrote:
The TDV6 could IMO have been larger with more torque,

I'd like to think the anticipated V8 Diesel will make it into the D3 at some time, as well as the FFRR and Sport. Would be an opportunity lost, although maybe LR will provide both diesel options as the TDV6 is good on paper for the ~30MPG, and I believe 25mpg is the average being quoted for the V8.

Time will tell.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #6961411th Jul 2006 11:11 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >