Page 2 of 3 <123>
dubbs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Would be great if they could recognise the leisure market with some great tools
incorporated:

1. Built in air compressor (nice call!)
2. Tyre inflation system
3. Detachable high powered led torch
4. Leisure battery system (hate the fact they ruined my D4 with start stop taking the battery space)
5. If we lose our beloved split tailgate then definitely an electric deployable bench to get best of both worlds
 MY15 DIY Black Pack (Better than factory and half the price!)
Prospeed rock/tree sliders w/steps
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #158441729th Dec 2015 8:01 pm
lespes

Guernsey 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Camera washers Thumbs Up
 D4 Landmark MY16 Santorini Black THE LAST
D4 HSE MY12 Marmais Teal: Gone. Missed a lot!
Freelander 2 SD HSE MY11 Silver:Thankfully gone.
D4 HSE MY11 Silver: Gone missed !
Range Rover Sport MY06 HSE Buck Blue: Gone missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Facelift MY Red Gone Missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Cobalt Blue: Gone Missed!
Discovery D1 Auto Oxford Blue Not missed at all!
Discovery D1 Avalon Blue First LR! missed!

Now demoted to a VW 

Post #158441829th Dec 2015 8:01 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 
Re: Tech in the new Disco

dubbs wrote:
So what tech would we like to see, and think we will see in the new D5?

My starter for ten....

1. Auto terrain response
2. Self park
3. In car wifi
4. Satnav linked to google maps technology
5. Transparent bonnet technology
6. Panoramic roof
7. Electric in built tow hook
8. Lane control
9. Adaptive cruise control (radar)
10. Electric boot mechanisms

That type of list is exactly why the D5 will be over priced and less practical than the D4. Much of that list is urban-centric. Satnav using Google? Great where there is perfect mobile signal but useless elsewhere. Self contained Satnav such as Copilot is much more robust. Self park? Really? In car WiFi is another "yummy mummy" urban thing. Transparent bonnet is a nice idea but...

Fully adaptive cruise with queue assist is very useful. The old adaptive cruise on my RRS is very goodbut lacks total stop/queue assist.

Too much of LR's tech is focussed on the school run - just adds cost without 4x4 practicality.

TR with lockable differentials as standard, flat folding seats, decent adaptive cruise control, fully driver selectable suspension adjustment. That would do. Just add excellent climate control, fully adjustable front seats in all trim levels and a half decent stereo. Oh and top quality headlights too please.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #158456430th Dec 2015 2:10 am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

^^^^My sentiment exactly. Thumbs Up

A bit extreme, but I'd really like to see a water cooled, twin caliper, performance braking system designed to fit within 16/17" wheels. That is the sort of technology I like. Smile
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #158461630th Dec 2015 10:24 am
Guy

United Kingdom 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Satnav using Google?

I'd rather see a way of loading hi-res Ordnance Survey mapping onto the satnav. That would be much more useful in the field...

Post #158462730th Dec 2015 10:43 am
J77

Scotland 

I agree with RRSTDV8. The new car should be functional and useable in day to day life. The more tech the higher the price. Also this tech should not be forced upon buyers. I'm perfectly happy with my bog standard SE, everything I need none of the stuff I don't.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #158466930th Dec 2015 12:14 pm
Florafauna

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I do like gadgets but I am really hoping the D5 has my top pick for an improvement to the D4.

i.e. A front passenger seat that folds flat - the loadspace improvements for me would be immense. Not exactly hi-tech though.

For some other nice options.

1. Display OS maps on the Sat Nav screen - its an off road Land Rover - I want to see some off road detail. Proper contour lines - lovely!
2. Adaptive cruise control - if it works properly.
3. Transparent bonnet - I'm forever creeping along off road with the front sensors going crazy - is it some shrub or a bloody great rock (I know I should pay attention before that point but...) If I can see whats going on it would help a lot.

The best option of all would be - a sub £40k start price. (Thats really going to happen!)

Happy New Year to all.
 MegaSTUPID BREXIT
D4 XS MY12 Orkney Grey - nice!
996 turbo cab - a dream come true
VXR220 - Epic Track Car
D2 - V8 - Agricultural bankruptcy but what fun! - Long gone but missed 

Post #158467930th Dec 2015 12:53 pm
dubbs

RRSTDV8 wrote:

That type of list is exactly why the D5 will be over priced and less practical than the D4. Much of that list is urban-centric. Satnav using Google? Great where there is perfect mobile signal but useless elsewhere. Self contained Satnav such as Copilot is much more robust. Self park? Really? In car WiFi is another "yummy mummy" urban thing. Transparent bonnet is a nice idea but...

Fully adaptive cruise with queue assist is very useful. The old adaptive cruise on my RRS is very goodbut lacks total stop/queue assist.

Too much of LR's tech is focussed on the school run - just adds cost without 4x4 practicality.

TR with lockable differentials as standard, flat folding seats, decent adaptive cruise control, fully driver selectable suspension adjustment. That would do. Just add excellent climate control, fully adjustable front seats in all trim levels and a half decent stereo. Oh and top quality headlights too please.

Have to say I don't agree with you there... even though some of that tech is over the top and not something necessarily on my wish list, I do believe we'll see some of it introduced.

Google integration - this layers information over an existing system and doesn't replace it - therefore where many of us use these vehicles for commercial, extended leisure pursuits, etc., the google traffic information is far and away better than TMC therefore very useful. The more you look in to the technology the more it can assist - sure it needs a reasonable data signal but it AUGMENTS existing functionality, it doesn't replace it - Audi and BMW already use the tech to good effect, just because LRs may be used in rural settings it would be pure idiocy to not utilise tech that 80-90% of owners would use.

I also believe that just because something is modern and useful to a sub set of owners it shouldn't be tarred with the "school run" many of those items are useful to anyone BUT the school runners.

In car wi-fi is very useful on long journeys where the D5 is being used to tow across continents or other scenarios, can be handy for passenger looking up POIs whilst the driver is busy piloting.

Self-park - yes I agree I can't stand it either but I can see this being something they will add as the tech is becoming so cheap to enable and comes with a fair degree of reliability these days.

I think you need to look at the market as a whole - far more people want an SUV with 4x4 capability over and above a parred down mud plugger - if you want a parred down mud plugger then the Discovery has never been that - it has always been a vehicle that opened up the 4x4 sector to the masses - in fact in many ways X5, Q7, etc., would never have existed without the Discovery opening up that market by bringing a level of road manners and luxury (to ever increasing degrees) to the sector.

When we consider the kind of people that want this car, and what they want to do with it (for example mine is more a practical car for camping, dogs, tin tent towing, bit of leisure 4x4, and a luxury barge with immense comfort and practicality) then the technology and application of it makes total sense.

As times move on, easy application of luxury, technology,etc., has developed the car to where it is today (my HSE Lux is far and above more luxurious and gadget-ridden than my 07 FFRR was)

The new Defender will be there to cater for those of us that would have a current defender if it wasn't so compromised as an everyday vehicle. Everything on your list I would expect a Defender to have at a minimum.

As I said in a post a while back, like it or not, our Discovery is now what the FFRR used to be. The FFRR is now a Bentley chaser and a different beast altogether.

I don't believe any of that technology needs to reduce the practicality of what we'd all like from a Discovery.

Of course, just an opinion Thumbs Up
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #158483730th Dec 2015 6:53 pm
Storming

Scotland 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Commercial.........................pleeeeeeeez

Storming

Post #158484030th Dec 2015 6:59 pm
dubbs

Not sure they will for the new one but certainly for the current there are a good number of guys on here using them for business/commercial endeavours.
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #158484630th Dec 2015 7:14 pm
dubbs

Guy wrote:
RRSTDV8 wrote:
Satnav using Google?

I'd rather see a way of loading hi-res Ordnance Survey mapping onto the satnav. That would be much more useful in the field...

Really like that idea 8)
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #158484730th Dec 2015 7:15 pm
Storming

Scotland 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Me included dubbs

Mine not that old but have always had em since day one of the commercial. Almost considering trying to get one of the last ones,,, just can't quite justify it. Big Cry

S

Post #158486230th Dec 2015 7:28 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Ipad with MemMap, one of uncle Ray's balls with ram mount holder. Thumbs Up And you know it will be reliable at a fraction of the price.

C'mon peeps, this is LR you are talking about. You just know they will fek it up and charge a fortune, it's what they do. Keep it simple instead of superfluous fluff that will never work and cost an arm and a leg.

Post #158486530th Dec 2015 7:33 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I'd really like OS maps too, but I do think Del has hit the nail... An alternative solution will usually prove more reliable and/or functional than built in equiptment unless the built in stuff is for a core, basic purpose. Thumbs Up

Broadly speaking, I would not want to see cars being made with major third party services built in. A basic solution like TMC is easy to implement and sustain, keeping a Google Maps based system going would probably require significant attention and complex security measures. Wink

Quote:
In car wi-fi is very useful on long journeys where the D5 is being used to tow across continents or other scenarios, can be handy for passenger looking up POIs whilst the driver is busy piloting.

Is there any need though? The car can't generate WiFi from thin air, so laptops and phones have direct access to the same thing. A simple, basic anntena system might, of course, be useful though, but again faster coverage is increasing rapidly. Wink

My opinion is that perhaps the best three things on my D3, are the sunroof, logic 7 system, and adaptive lights, all of which are associated with the top spec model - the stuff in between is neither here nor there. So much technology "might" be useful, but is also easily rendered unnecessary buy other things (like smartphones etc.). Car equiptment needs to be designed in such a way as to be the stuff that you really need in a car, and that only the car can provide/provide well. That's the stuff that needs attention and is worth paying for. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #158488930th Dec 2015 7:56 pm
dubbs

Other manufacturers are using google maps tech to good effect to supplement their own satnav so it works well.

3rd party technology integration is there deeper in the system already on many cars, we just don't see it. It'll only be more and more prevalent as time goes on so LR should be embracing it and utilising it to our benefit rather than lag behind or utilise it for less useful application imho.

In car wifi? I do see your point but car systems can use better antennae and boosting technology where a phone will drain the battery trying to maintain signal in a metal box.

Just thoughts.... interesting times regardless Thumbs Up
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #158490630th Dec 2015 8:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >