Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Temperature gauge going full scale
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Dave T

England 
Temperature gauge going full scale

I've had an intermittant fault start appearing where the temperature gauge (coolant) will just suddenly go full scale and the red warning light comes on. If I stop the engine and restart it goes back to normal straight away. This has now happened on three occasions over the past month or so, I'm thinking the temperature sensor. Has anyone else come across this? Any other suggestions or ideas?

Post #5466616th Nov 2009 8:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
adam

United Kingdom 

There is a known fault in the expansion tank that causes a 'Low Coolant' message on the dash warning - may be linked?
Daft question - assume you have checked all coolant / oil levels for levels and leaks?

Post #5466646th Nov 2009 8:54 am
Dave T

England 

I did have a small leak a couple of years ago, but a tub of radweld sorted that out and has been ok ever since. Level is definately ok now.

Post #5467046th Nov 2009 10:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

could be a thermostat problem - if we still have these in the D3 Confused

I had the same problem in my Defender and the thermostat was sticking in the closed position
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #5467086th Nov 2009 10:24 am
Dave T

England 

The thermostat is only a month or two old, I changed it because the gauge has always tended to read low on the scale since i bought the car a couple of years ago, and what a lovely job that was Big Cry

When it goes full scale it takes less than a second, not a gradual increase, and when resetting, it goes astraight back down to normal.

Post #5467136th Nov 2009 10:31 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

i had this on my old FL2,

it went so high the red light came on and the engine entered limp mode, (not good when towing a caravan) and i had to call LRA out twice in two weeks

I eventually got the car recovered and they blamed the loss of power on the EGR valves, but dismissed the temp sensor jumping about Rolling Eyes I showed them a video and they put it down to the radiator been covered in mud, mud in between the raidiator veins that had been there for over 2 years without problem on the lower section of the rad.

They took the rad out and cleaned it and put it back, but they also thought the loss of power was the only fault it had been brought in for by LRA.

Cleaning the radiator did solve it though, but then they did say the EGR they replaced could cause it to give false readings, but i expect that was a bit of LR bull.

So basically is your rad muddy?

Post #5467516th Nov 2009 11:31 am
Dave T

England 

Unfortunatley I am already part of the EGR club having had both changed a few months ago, out of warranty Big Cry Big Cry .

It doesn't go into limp mode at all, the only symptom/indication is the gauge going full scale and the red warning light coming on.

My radiator is clean, unfortunately I haven't found anywhere to get it muddy so far, the worst I do is a stoney track.

Post #5467766th Nov 2009 11:59 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Check the engine earth connection, could be a faulty sensor, could also be a problem with the engine wiring loom - there were several revisions to cure poor connection problems on the <06MY models

Post #5471616th Nov 2009 9:49 pm
Dave T

England 

TFC - you mention the engine earth connection, where am I looking for this? Also where is the temperature sensor??????

Post #5471766th Nov 2009 10:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >