Terrain Response - what does it actually do
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

10forcash wrote:
simon wrote:
Guys,

There are good demo's and text on the LR site re Terrain Response... but here's an attempt until an expert chips in... the main points anyway. Feel free to correct me though Wink

Essentially it optimises the traction control, throttle response, ride height, Hill descent, braking, diffs (central and rear if fitted) etc.

In Grass Gravel Snow :

Delays throttle response to avoid spinning wheels (try it and you can tell by the reduction in power feeling you get when pressing the go pedal), sets up the diffs to cut in sooner, ABS / TC / DSC etc comes in more quickly and is more ready to react and try to cancel a slide / skid etc.

Message Centre also makes recommendations too like starting off in 2nd or 3rd gear to avoid wheel spin.

Mud & Ruts :

Sets up ride height, diffs again to the appropriate setting (can't remember if open or closed - maybe half way ??), and the other systems to react to the muddy conditions...

Sand :

Holds the revs to allow engine overrun so you don't loose power when changing gear. Again sets up electronic systems to best cope with the soft sand.

Rock Crawl :

Reduced throttle response (like Grass Gravel Snow) to avoid the D3 jerking, locks all diffs.

Essentially makes the D3 act like someone has set it up correctly and shields the driver from common mistakes like applying too much power or letting the revs drops. Safety systems optimised to avoid loosing power / traction or both depending on the road surface and behaviour of the driver and car.

Check out the video on the LR site. They show the system working. The US site seems to have far more of these by the way.

Hope this helps,

-s
nice bit of prolonged typing there.... accurate too Wink obviously no distractions currently.... Sheep

Well sometimes I can actually put one or two words together between sheering and de-lousing the damn animals... glad it was up to spec... and a bit surprised too. Must have geeked far too much on this damn vehicle Wink

Now... back to the Sheep and all that

baaa

Post #2867620th Nov 2005 11:59 pm
simon

And a quote from many an American's monthly truck read is :

"Land Rover has taken a sophisticated, computer-controlled four-wheel-drive system and given it a twist--literally. With a control knob that allows the driver to adjust myriad computer-controlled variables on the vehicle (throttle response, traction-control sensitivity, differential control, transmission shift points, gear starts, and more) by selecting one of five separate terrain settings (general mode, grass/gravel/snow, mud and ruts, sand, and rockcrawling), the setup will configure the vehicle's traction and four-wheel-drive system for you. Depending on the setting, it'll allow or limit more wheelspin, preload or lock open the differentials, utilize the cross-link air suspension, advise use of low-range, engage Hill Descent Control, or change the throttle sensitivity."

Post #2869521st Nov 2005 12:37 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

simon wrote:

"Land Rover has taken a sophisticated, computer-controlled four-wheel-drive system and given it a twist--literally. With a control knob that allows the driver to adjust myriad computer-controlled variables on the vehicle (throttle response, traction-control sensitivity, differential control, transmission shift points, gear starts, and more) by selecting one of five separate terrain settings (general mode, grass/gravel/snow, mud and ruts, sand, and rockcrawling), the setup will configure the vehicle's traction and four-wheel-drive system for you. Depending on the setting, it'll allow or limit more wheelspin, preload or lock open the differentials, utilize the cross-link air suspension, advise use of low-range, engage Hill Descent Control, or change the throttle sensitivity."

I think that expalains it well.[/i]

Post #2869921st Nov 2005 12:41 am
simon

Gareth wrote:
simon wrote:

Hopefully... I see no one has even read the replies yet or if they have, said thanks... and after being so impatient with us and BN eh Wink

If anyone needs more explanation... I pass you over to young Gareth who being an ace systems integration chap (I saw the results of your work last night !) is rather good at all the techie LR stuff.

nite nite

-s

Post #2870121st Nov 2005 12:46 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Quote:
I saw the results of your work last night

You went to the golf club?

Post #2870321st Nov 2005 1:32 am
simon

Gareth wrote:
Quote:

Golf ??? Not me mate Wink

Drove right past the club house in the dark and saw the evidence through the window.

-s

Post #2871821st Nov 2005 12:42 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

simon wrote:
Gareth wrote:
Quote:

Golf ??? Not me mate Wink

Drove right past the club house in the dark and saw the evidence through the window.

-s

They must have turned the screen saver off Shocked

Post #2879221st Nov 2005 8:15 pm
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

simon wrote:
Gareth wrote:
simon wrote:

Hopefully... I see no one has even read the replies yet or if they have, said thanks... and after being so impatient with us and BN eh Wink

If anyone needs more explanation... I pass you over to young Gareth who being an ace systems integration chap (I saw the results of your work last night !) is rather good at all the techie LR stuff.

nite nite

-s

i have now read and understood your comments thankyou old wise ones Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy , sorry for not getting back earlier but my wife confiscated the computor as she is fed up of playing 2nd best to disco3 .co.uk and e bay Laughing Laughing Laughing

cheers shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #2880421st Nov 2005 8:45 pm
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

simon wrote:
Gareth wrote:
simon wrote:

nite nite

-s

i have now read and understood your comments thankyou old wise ones Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy , sorry for not getting back earlier but my wife confiscated the computor as she is fed up of playing 2nd best to disco3 .co.uk and e bay Laughing Laughing Laughing

cheers shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #2880521st Nov 2005 8:45 pm
Pelyma

England 

OOOOOOOO an echo echo echo echo
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #2880721st Nov 2005 8:47 pm
BN

England 

shawn wrote:
simon wrote:
Gareth wrote:
simon wrote:

nite nite

-s

cheers shawn

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter love it, now Pelyma and Simon are the old men. Fantastic Shawn, more Very Happy

Post #2882921st Nov 2005 9:39 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

BN wrote:
shawn wrote:
simon wrote:
Gareth wrote:
simon wrote:

nite nite

-s

cheers shawn

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter love it, now Pelyma and Simon are the old men. Fantastic Shawn, more Very Happy

Phew - Embarassed Glad I got away with that one Wink

Post #2883221st Nov 2005 9:42 pm
simon

shawn wrote:

cheers shawn

Less of the old... Gareth is actually 102 and plays golf for a living in the wilds of Shropshire whilst his 'boy' installs tecno stuff in the club house Wink

How do I know ? Well the locals are very generous with their information when you threaten their Sheep with a golf club Wink

Glad to be of help by the way Smile

Post #2887021st Nov 2005 10:26 pm
BN

England 

simon wrote:
shawn wrote:

cheers shawn

Less of the old... Gareth is actually 102 and plays golf for a living in the wilds of Shropshire whilst his 'boy' installs tecno stuff in the club house Wink

How do I know ? Well the locals are very generous with their information when you threaten their Sheep with a golf club Wink

Glad to be of help by the way Smile

Thats a first Wink

Post #2887621st Nov 2005 10:40 pm
simon

What ?

Gareth being 102 (and slightly older than the great BN)
The Golf
The 'boy'
The Sheep

or the golf club as a torture device ???

-s

Post #2888621st Nov 2005 10:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >