Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Test Drive tomorrow, then the big talk! Any tips, advice?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Nickhearne

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

croyde wrote:
If anyone knows a car no longer than the Landrover or any other SUV/MPV that has luggage space with all 7 seats up, please let me know Laughing

Yes the Nissan Pathfinder, but the third row is foe kids only!
Also just could not bring my self to buy one!
 Range Rover Sport Estate 2.0 P400e Hse Dynamic Black
D4 HSE Santorini Black
Almond Arabica hide & Walnut trim Now sold
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE
Zambezi Silver Ebony leather Now sold 

Post #1802119th Sep 2005 10:31 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Think you'll struggle for luggage space with any 7 seater, roof bars & a roof box?

Post #1802219th Sep 2005 10:33 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pelyma

England 

Nickhearne wrote:
[Yes the Nissan Pathfinder, but the third row is foe kids only!

Described by a journalist as, " Yes, the Pathfinder is significant. It's a perfect example of how not to make a family four wheel drive vehicle." Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #1802319th Sep 2005 11:21 am
Nickhearne

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Pelyma wrote:
Nickhearne wrote:
[Yes the Nissan Pathfinder, but the third row is foe kids only!

Described by a journalist as, " Yes, the Pathfinder is significant. It's a perfect example of how not to make a family four wheel drive vehicle." Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

A bit harsh, for that it is & value for money, it ant that bad!
If I had bought this car with my sensible head on then it would have been the pathfinder!

Seats 7
can tow my boat up & down slips no probs
comfortable on the road (if a bit noisy)
all the toys of a HSE for £30,000
Nissan reliability

All that said I still bought with my heart in the end!
 Range Rover Sport Estate 2.0 P400e Hse Dynamic Black
D4 HSE Santorini Black
Almond Arabica hide & Walnut trim Now sold
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE
Zambezi Silver Ebony leather Now sold 

Post #1802619th Sep 2005 11:34 am
BN

England 

Didn't we all Very Happy warts and all

Post #1802819th Sep 2005 12:13 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

On the basis that the LWB Defender is configured as a 9 seater (and thereby avoids Ken's congestion charge), I'd volunteer that as the closest 'car' to give 7 seats and luggage space without resorting to trailer/roof rack. Otherwise it's van conversions aplenty.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #1803019th Sep 2005 12:22 pm
BN

England 

DrLex wrote:
On the basis that the LWB Defender is configured as a 9 seater (and thereby avoids Ken's congestion charge), I'd volunteer that as the closest 'car' to give 7 seats and luggage space without resorting to trailer/roof rack. Otherwise it's van conversions aplenty.

DrLex, noooo the 110 Defender has less space than the D3 in reality. The side seats at the rear leave no space when all seats are filled and it is very friendly for all in a Defender without luggage, let alone with.

Defender only carries 5 to give good rear space. 7 leaves less than the D3 and it is not a comfy ride, got them, done it, suffered for it.

Post #1803119th Sep 2005 12:31 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

Fair enough - it's not like the driving experience of the 110 around town is fun. I did once drive a 205 Pug with seven people and 6 rucksacks and that was friendly (and stoopid, illegal and a long time ago etc).
For the school run, most 7 seaters appear satisfactory. For the airport run, I guess it's a van-cross or a roofrack/trailer addition.

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #1803219th Sep 2005 12:40 pm
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

croyde wrote:
If anyone knows a car no longer than the Landrover or any other SUV/MPV that has luggage space with all 7 seats up, please let me know Laughing

Seriously though, there is a certain London cab co that runs a fleet of Fiat Ullysses that have 8 seats and a little luggage space behind the 3rd row, but would you want to drive one Laughing

I looked at lots of options for 7 seats plus luggage.
All internal configurations are compromises.
For 4x4s, the only vehicle with greater capacity was the 8-seat LandCruiser- but without the fold flat seats.
MPVs can offer similar capacity to the D3- Grand Espace, Kia Sedona or Grand Voyager. They are bigger longer cars, and have the advantage of sliding rear doors. However the Espace seats don't fold flat; the (Grand) Voyager's are in the wrong configuration (2 in middle; 3 in rear) (same problem for the Kia Sedona).
The D3 is bigger inside than my old Galaxy or (nonGrand) Espace; bigger by far than the Ulysse/C8/807 with the added advantage of full size adult comfy seats and fold flat. I can fit a double buggy behind the 2 rear seats, in the same way as I could behind the Galaxy rears.

I know I keep banging on about the fold flat seats but they are marvellous, flexible and save marital dischord if you don't have a garage to store removable ones in.

The only 2 truly bigger cars are the VW Transporter or Merc Viano. Both longer / much longer, depending on whether you go for swb, med or lwb. Both can fit 7, 8 or 9 seats with large boot, but inflexible seats (there I go again!). You can still buy new 'old' type-2 VW transporter vans (the 1970's versions) which can be configured as 7 seater whilst having a smaller footprint than a Touran. Lovely but very slow and dreadful crash-wise.

As you may have gathered if you've stayed with me until here, I have spent quite some time looking at the different options! For me there was no real choice- stretch to the base 7 seat D3.
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #1807719th Sep 2005 2:36 pm
Mellowman

kevinlally wrote:
croyde wrote:

Seriously though, there is a certain London cab co that runs a fleet of Fiat Ullysses that have 8 seats and a little luggage space behind the 3rd row, but would you want to drive one Laughing

I looked at lots of options for 7 seats plus luggage.
All internal configurations are compromises.

SNIP...

As you may have gathered if you've stayed with me until here, I have spent quite some time looking at the different options! For me there was no real choice- stretch to the base 7 seat D3.

Thanks for the comments - keep 'em coming! I'm surprised no-one's said anything about Ford's other killer family-sized 4x4, the Volvo XC90...

Had a quick look at that this afternoon and it knocks the Discovery into a cocked hat for space utilisation (in my wife's opinion!). Yes, the third row seats are smaller than the D3's, but they are adjustable for position and my children are still at the rather small stage Smile

However, it does not drive as well, but the seats are more comfortable to me, and it it'll be pretty so-so in demanding conditions. Plastics and finish are far better, but it lacks the Tonka feel of the Disco.

I will still need to test both cars over at least 500 miles - does anyone know a LR dealer who'll oblige - I'll happily pay a reasonable fee for this, otherwise Guy Salmon car hire may be the answer.

I'll let you know how I get on!

Dave

Post #1811219th Sep 2005 5:18 pm
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Bottom line is are you going to offroad, if so get the D3 there is nothing better, otherwise its horses for courses - or depends who wears the trousers Shocked
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone
2008 Discovery 3 GS - gone
2011 Freelander LE Special Edition - gone
2007 Discovery 3 XS - gone
2012 Discovery 4 GS - current 

Post #1811319th Sep 2005 5:24 pm
BN

England 

Dom Harvey wrote:
Bottom line is are you going to offroad, if so get the D3 there is nothing better, otherwise its horses for courses - or depends who wears the trousers Shocked

Spot on Dom (go and enjoy your birthday ) the D3 is a tool for everything especially people carrying across country. The Volvo (same company now) does not even come up to the D3's wheel arches in capabilities.

You really have to want a Land Rover to own and drive it. It is a special kind of person who buys them for what they really are. Often people buy them for the completely wrong reason.

The majority of guys and gals on this site I bet didn't think twice before buying or had one before anyway.

Post #1811519th Sep 2005 5:39 pm
newtolr

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Not sure if this will help, but here goes.

I test drove quite a few 4x4's, the Volvo XC90 has a good write up from people at work, so i tried it.

I found it uncomfortable, my parents who are old could not get in the seats at the back, they are old and frail remember. The satnav is no where near as good and the diesel is truly dreadful for just pulling.

To be honest my remit was 4 people and 2 children in comfort and that was what the D3 gives me, 1500 miles into ownership.

The XC90 i did 400 miles over a weekend and could not wait to give it back.

Post #1813019th Sep 2005 6:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
graemem

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

BN wrote:

You really have to want a Land Rover to own and drive it. It is a special kind of person who buys them for what they really are. Often people buy them for the completely wrong reason.

The majority of guys and gals on this site I bet didn't think twice before buying or had one before anyway.

Here Here there was no other vehicle for me, no decision to make, just needed to buy it and have absolutely made the right choice.

Post #1819219th Sep 2005 9:54 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

newtolr wrote:
and the diesel is truly dreadful for just pulling.

not only that, but the gearing/engine/weight combo makes it the XC90 a nightmare to accelerate from rest - coming out from a side road onto a busy main road is tough when going left and almost heart-stopping when going right. The latest version (now in the dealers) is slightly better, but watch out for it on a test drive.

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #1819819th Sep 2005 10:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >