Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

Guide to the D4 Altox Fuel burning heater controller
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
kevofcov

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4
Guide to the D4 Altox Fuel burning heater controller

Less of a guide more details of my experiences, once I had decided to fit an Altox controller and install the App. All of the following is not new - it is here on the forum but spread around between many threads.
I would usually turn to Youtube for knowledge and info but there is nothing in English. There is surprisingly little at all on the web in English to help with learning about Altox controllers.

There is a school of thought that with our winters no longer being proper winters, more like harsh autumns the FBH is not really needed. I can see this point but ask me again in January...
Vehicle is a 2016 D4 Graphite

What is it?

You are buying a small Russian made control box that fits where your jack is in your boot.

It is controlled by an app and allows you to control your FBH in real time. (LR offered something similar from the factory - ‘Telestart’ which is an option to have a small radio controlled 2 button fob that would switch on the Fuel Burning Heater from inside your home)

All D4’s have the wiring next to your scissor jack to install this factory option and it is this wiring that the Altox box connects to. You will need to buy the wire to connect your Altox box to your loom in your boot. This is one link to buy your lead

https://fnltd.co.uk/shop/telestart-to-alto...m-p80.html

Reasons to add the app to your phone?
The Landrover Telestart T91 option costs a fortune for what it does compared to the £280 I paid for my Altox

Swmbo (her car) will not go outside and fiddle with the dash in the cold/rain just to trigger the fuel burning heater if you forget the timer. There is a good chance she will pick up and use her phone.

You’re more likely to use your FBH with the app - it’s good for your engine. Less cold starts. Yes the FBH uses diesel but this is countered by a cold engine using more fuel until warm.
Please note - the factory, very fixed, FBH working duration is 20/25 mins. Some people report that this is fine but others, myself included feel that this is a bit rubbish. Fitting an Altox will not change this time restriction on the D4. There may be a way to install it under the bonnet to change this fact but that is way above my pay grade.

The app includes tracking software meaning you can bring up a map showing live data and also all previous journeys.

The app gives access to various live data – coolant temp, battery voltage etc if that’s your thing.

Why the Altox app?
There is no other choice of which controller to fit if you want an app.
I contacted Webasto at Docaster 01302 322232 for one of their controllers ‘sorry can’t be done’. Same story at Butler Technik 01522 2433210. I believe BAS in York 0113 3280285 can provide control using text messages only – no app.
I’m happy to be corrected but if you have a D4 you have no choice.

How the hardware is installed and software changes needed
Mount your Altox control box it in the cubby hole where the jack lives. The connection into your cars loom is via the connecting wire you purchased. The connection is here wrapped in this grey foam.

Click image to enlarge

You now need let the car know that it is in the boot. You do this by making changes using a scan tool to the appropriate CCF’s (car configuration files). You’re going to need an adult at this point.
I took my car to my local independent LR garage which happens to also be the closest garage. I’m guessing any garage will be able to access the files if they have the suitable software. They will be able to connect, via your OBD (on board diagnostics) port at your right knee, and make the necessary changes to the cars files.

The files to change are within HVAC ventilation and are;
Timed climate file – change to ‘enabled’.
FBH call start – change to ‘fitted radio’
Fuel burning heater – change to ‘fitted park heating’

Sim card
You will need to fit a sim card (make sure any PIN requests are off) People seem to be using Giffgaff sims. So am I.

App set up
You have a choice of control using the internet (I did want) or using texts (I don’t want - far too involved)
If you see this screen then select cancel – you have like me not read the instruction book and are heading down a rabbit hole to activate text control....

Click image to enlarge

From the welcome screen access to the set up is via the 3 bars top left. All straight forward.

This is a link to the instructions that arrives with the box if you don’t have them.
https://altox.ru/en/docs/

To sum up – it does what it says on the tin, is plug and play once the CCF files are changed and is ok value at £280. Still being limited to the factory 20/25mins when using the Telestart T91 connection is disappointing.

If you are having problems getting stuff to function I am not the guy to ask sorry. I am an expert if you need frozen Cheesecake delivering to central London but otherwise I know nothing. Start a thread is my only suggestion and a grown up will be along to help.

Jan ’24 Quick update – happy to put my hand up when I’m wrong,

I’ve been using it for a while now and I’ve today realised that whilst the FBH shuts down after 25mins you can fire it up again for another 25mins by just using the app again Very Happy happy days.

Also the amount of telemetry and stats I now realise is impressive, lots of data-
Battery voltage
Coolant temp
Speed/average speed
Engine hours
Odometer
FBH total run time.
Plus many many others

Never used it but there is a comprehensive timer feature for deploying the FBH

Live map tracking updates every few seconds with a comprehensive history available.

‘Read faults’ option in Diagnostics tab. Too lazy to get off my backside but this sounds like a fault code reader.

Last edited by kevofcov on 21st Jan 2024 7:37 pm. Edited 4 times in total 
Post #235618017th Dec 2023 7:41 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Nice write up Thumbs Up
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #235618117th Dec 2023 8:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Wait for Putin to start interrogating your mobile phone.

Post #235618217th Dec 2023 8:16 pm
GLYNNE

England 

Cheesecake Laughing I LOVE the cake Very Happy
Great work Thumbs Up

Post #235618317th Dec 2023 8:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >